Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2018, 10:47 AM

20 posts, read 14,505 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, just popping in with an update in case anybody else is dealing with the same. I swapped out regular Allegra for Allegra-D, the 12 hour dosage so that I could take it twice a day instead of the 24 hour one. I also began using Flonase and a netti pot every few days. I noticed that when the pollen naturally began to subside, so too did my allergies, so I'm not sure if ANY of these things had more of an effect than the others since it's now been a few weeks of honey in my coffee every day and about a week of all of the above traditional methods. But my car isn't yellow anymore... so I know that the pollen levels are just naturally lower too. Who knows? Anyway whether it's any or all, I'm still going to an allergist the second my new insurance kicks in, because I suffered a lot and don't want to deal with it again next year, but maybe my trial and error can help another recent transplant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2018, 09:04 AM

430 posts, read 626,774 times
About a decade ago now I was regularly suffering from terrible allergies and made an appointment with an allergist, fully expecting to end up getting shots like my wife and daughter had. I had reached a point where about once a month they were so bad I'd just take enough allergy drugs to knock me out and hope to sleep through most of them.

The allergist suggested that before we try injections or medications I rinse twice a day with a neti-pot like thing (NeilMed actually) for two weeks and come see him again. Well, it pretty much cured me and when I was re-examined he said all the inflammation was gone. He was happy that his advice cost him a patient.

Here's the thing though, this method doesn't work if you wait for symptoms. You have to treat it like flossing as just something you do every morning. That way it stops the inflammation from ever starting. At this point I do it every morning and again if I mow the lawn or do other garden work. It heads off allergy symptoms before they even start and I'm happy not having to use any antihistamines.

If you just want something to use after symptoms start, I wouldn't bother with a sinus rinse. Just use medication at that point. The rinse works better to prevent rather than respond.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary