Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2018, 08:27 AM

2,679 posts, read 2,903,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post
... I'm a northeast transplant and even I know that's not how BBQ is supposed to be done - it's the proverbial "putting lipstick on a pig". It's not horrible food, don't get me wrong, but at the end of the day it's nothing more than Smithfields on a porcelain plate.

I don't think BBQ and fine china are a match.

You had me up til here, and then I tuned out. Lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2018, 09:37 AM

1,291 posts, read 1,599,213 times
Someone opened a restaurant like this in Greenville some years ago. The “fusion” quote reminded me of it.

Unsurprisingly, he did not fare well.

I could see this working in the Triangle but I don’t think Knightdale is the place.

Old 05-08-2018, 10:21 AM

806 posts, read 604,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNamesake View Post
Chris Prieto is his name...

This is gonna be gooooood... finally some KC and Texas styles here in state. Finally .
Sounds like a huge improvement over the mushy baby food they call "BBQ" in this area. When will he actually have it built out?

Old 05-08-2018, 10:27 AM

5,888 posts, read 6,958,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetAndBlack View Post
Someone opened a restaurant like this in Greenville some years ago. The “fusion” quote reminded me of it.

Unsurprisingly, he did not fare well.
If you're in Greenville, why go anywhere else but B's (unless they have sold out)?

Old 05-08-2018, 10:32 AM

2,679 posts, read 2,903,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myname_isborat View Post
Sounds like a huge improvement over the mushy baby food they call "BBQ" in this area. When will he actually have it built out?
Lol ... it takes real skill to get our BBQ “right” so the good pitmasters need to be celebrated

... but yeah, I think nationally our version of ‘cue pales in the eyes of the rest of folks in the rest of the nation who have tried KC, Texas, Memphis ... I cant honestly tell you the last time I’ve had NC Cue. Probably been nearly a year.

Old 05-08-2018, 10:43 AM

5,345 posts, read 3,214,825 times
Quote:
You had me up til here, and then I tuned out. Lol.
Lol no worries! When people equate The Pit to "good Que" is when I tune out so I guess it's a draw!

Old 05-08-2018, 10:50 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,014,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
Personally I feel like we are in a BBQ wasteland in the Triangle, with fantastic 'que to the east and west of us but nothing at that level in our area.
Backyard BBQ on HWY 55 does it right IMHO.

Old 05-08-2018, 11:12 AM

744 posts, read 1,263,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post
Those places serve their purpose, they offer somewhat of a variety. Anyone who has ever had TX BBQ knows that those places aren't even close to the real deal. And in fairness, I'm not expecting good NC style BBQ while in TX either.
Well yeah, that's my point! Variety is good! This notion that a place won't last unless it served NC style 'cue is nonsense!

Old 05-08-2018, 11:21 AM

744 posts, read 1,263,078 times
Quote:
Lol ... it takes real skill to get our BBQ “right” so the good pitmasters need to be celebrated

... but yeah, I think nationally our version of ‘cue pales in the eyes of the rest of folks in the rest of the nation who have tried KC, Texas, Memphis ... I cant honestly tell you the last time I’ve had NC Cue. Probably been nearly a year.
Well, a lot of people like to eat at mcDonald's so...

I think, in general, NC and TX does barbecue the best, relying mostly on smoke and minimal seasoning. KC, Memphis and other areas have an over-reliance on sauces, rubs, and marinades.

Old 05-08-2018, 11:54 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,382,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sant View Post
Well yeah, that's my point! Variety is good! This notion that a place won't last unless it served NC style 'cue is nonsense!
Variety IS good, and I have no problem with someone opening a KC or Texas style place thats true to the style. But when some baby-faced kid, who proclaims himself a "bbq expert" and says he has "his own signature style that fuses together elements of Texas, North Carolina and Kansas City flavors", well, lets just say I'm skeptical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary