Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2018, 08:29 PM

1,315 posts, read 2,680,702 times

Advertisements

A few months ago,we were close to doing a move to Holly Springs from Dallas. We were very interested in the Sunset Ridge and Wescott neighborhoods until we discovered that the landfill and power plant were literally right there. The waste water facility was an afterthought. How can this area command these prices? We are still puzzled. The smell seems to be a valid issue. 149 trucks a day? How high will the landfill go? How will this not start to impact property values?

South Wake landfill - CBS 17

Law firm hopes to represent Holly Springs residents in fight against landfill - CBS 17

http://www.cbs17.com/news/holly-spri...nch/1016967015

“Wake County’s landfill near Holly Springs was created with a 35 year life-span and although it’s just about a decade old, it continues to come into conflict with residents who live near it. That’s because the urbanization of Holly Springs has turned a once remotely located landfill site into a next-door neighbor for thousands who’ve willingly moved in near it. Every day, six days a week, hundreds of trash truck deposit Wake County’s unwanted refuse at the landfill. While at the same time, construction crews in Holly Springs clear land and prepare sites for development on a wide scale. Much of that development is occurring in an Springs. “We’re using every available space we have,” says realtor Nanette Leher of GO Realty in Holly Springs. And that development is encroaching on the landfill, a landfill which used to have a pretty significant buffer zone.”

Last edited by CREW747; 05-16-2018 at 09:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2018, 08:58 PM

9,145 posts, read 14,766,326 times
There are definitely some neighborhoods impacted by the landfill, but Sunset Ridge isn't one of them.

And fear of the power plant has no basis in reality.

Old 05-16-2018, 09:07 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
I lived in one of the neighborhoods closest to the landfill (Miramonte) for seven years, and I never smelled it.

Old 05-17-2018, 04:44 AM

812 posts, read 832,182 times
This is like the 3rd time you've posted about this OP. Sounds like you are very conflicted and are willing to overlook many issues HS presents -that you yourself have previously recognized. There was a reason the dump was put there not all that long ago = geographically isolated from the rest of the triangle. Just move there already and learn to deal with the dump, commute, traffic, "super-street", tolls, and driving all around for everything -as many many others have. Just remember, that nice new perfect house won't be nice and new and perfect for long... but the location stays the same. Houses can be changed, location can't. I prefer to compromise on the house to get the location -I realize many people follow a different/reverse paradigm. Sprawl baby sprawl!

Old 05-17-2018, 04:59 AM

3,318 posts, read 2,339,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
There are definitely some neighborhoods impacted by the landfill, but Sunset Ridge isn't one of them.
This.

Sunset Ridge isn't even close.

Old 05-17-2018, 05:26 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncrunner77 View Post
This is like the 3rd time you've posted about this OP. Sounds like you are very conflicted and are willing to overlook many issues HS presents -that you yourself have previously recognized. There was a reason the dump was put there not all that long ago = geographically isolated from the rest of the triangle. Just move there already and learn to deal with the dump, commute, traffic, "super-street", tolls, and driving all around for everything -as many many others have. Just remember, that nice new perfect house won't be nice and new and perfect for long... but the location stays the same. Houses can be changed, location can't. I prefer to compromise on the house to get the location -I realize many people follow a different/reverse paradigm. Sprawl baby sprawl!
Yup....the reason the area is commanding those prices is because people want new construction. And they don't want to pay twice as much for the same house in west Cary. So the compromise isn't an older house, it's a worse location. In the 8 years I've lived here I have seen many locales that have made me scratch my head and wonder "why would anyone want to live there" but the answer is always the same....a brand new shiny house.

Like ncrunner said, eventually the house will get old, but its location will never change.

That's why the old real estate adage that you always hear really is true: "location location location".

Old 05-17-2018, 07:31 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,272,925 times
Holly Springs is awesome. There is no smell. Nuclear meltdowns are no big deal. The reason you can get houses in HS for much less than other parts of the Triangle is just because nobody has realized it exists yet.

(I think this is what the OP is looking for).

Old 05-17-2018, 08:24 AM

119 posts, read 90,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
That's why the old real estate adage that you always hear really is true: "location location location".
Buy the tree, not the nest.

Old 05-21-2018, 10:52 AM

1,315 posts, read 2,680,702 times
Once we realized that most of the communities in Holly Springs were not significantly less than say Apex,we started to wonder how that was justified.Seeing the nuclear plant and the smoke in the distance was not appealing to us when we were driving around.Reading about what the Landfill could eventually turn into and the smell issuesjust added to our confusion about the desirability of that area.I am surprised that there is such a demanding market for $500,000 plus houses literally centered around a landfill and a nuclear plant.Perhaps we are in the minority regarding that being unusual?

Old 05-21-2018, 11:46 AM

3,318 posts, read 2,339,713 times
When we came here years ago, I was not keen on living close to a Nuclear Plant. After a decade and a half, you just sort of forget its there.

Unless you live close enough to hear the siren tests.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary