Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2018, 04:53 AM

1,527 posts, read 1,481,780 times

Advertisements

Hey, I have something nice to say today.

My grandson just graduated KG in Forestville Elementary after 2 years in WCPSS Head Start to get his speech on track.

This lovely boy is now at the point of reading books. Thanks to a year at Poe Elementary, he also picked up some Spanish from the ESL students.

WCPSS is trying to cope with the expansion of student load despite the legislature's stinginess toward staff.

Please press for added support to education. These kids are our future,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2018, 04:55 AM

4,242 posts, read 947,782 times
So glad to hear this - happy for you all!

Old 06-12-2018, 05:25 AM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,728,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalBlvd View Post

My grandson just graduated KG in Forestville Elementary after 2 years in WCPSS Head Start to get his speech on track.

This lovely boy is now at the point of reading books. Thanks to a year at Poe Elementary, he also picked up some Spanish from the ESL students.

WCPSS is trying to cope with the expansion of student load despite the legislature's stinginess toward staff.

Please press for added support to education. These kids are our future,
Happy to hear this CB and glad your grandson is doing well. I totally agree with you (I know, I'm surprise too) that we need to give better support to WCPSS as they're understaffed to deal with the ever increasing population size here.

There are a good number of people in my company doing Sales and Account Development that used to be teachers. They got burnt out after just a few years and found that there just wasn't enough to keep them molding young minds while earning a living income. These are great smart people with wonderful personalities that crack me up on a daily basis. It really is a shame.

As a side note, it's kind of funny there are so many people doing Sales/AD where I work when I think about it. I guess if you're great dealing with children on a day to day, learning them knowledge, that selling someone a product isn't that far of a stretch for a career path.

Old 06-12-2018, 07:45 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Congrats to your grandson.

Old 06-12-2018, 08:15 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,585,698 times
That is great news!! We have had great experiences with our teachers in wcpss. The administration less so but I know they’ve got a lot to handle.

Our experience with the speech therapist and IEP process however were horrible. They tried to tell us to wait another year, do nothing and then he’d qualify for the service rather than preventing it from reaching that point. When I asked if they could refer us to a private therapist who could come on site to the after school program or who had evening or weekend hours they had no suggestions. Mind you this was after private evaluations and pediatricians saying he needed it and spending 120/week out of pocket for three years on this through daycare. We ultimately did an IEP and had to fight every step of the way and appeal all the way to the top.

Old 06-12-2018, 08:36 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,341,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalBlvd View Post

Please press for added support to education. These kids are our future
Yes, so make sure you vote in November because the current legislature had not been supportive of education or our students. Show them education matters to you!

Old 06-13-2018, 01:46 PM

1,527 posts, read 1,481,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_M View Post
Yes, so make sure you vote in November because the current legislature had not been supportive of education or our students. Show them education matters to you!
We surely will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary