Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2018, 11:19 AM

13 posts, read 11,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
I have noticed a LOT of listings on the real estate websites are marked as 'contingency'. Wonder how many of those actually go through?

I'm really struggling with finding the right aesthetic and location. Even if I go up in price, what I want doesn't really seem to exist.

I would like to know that as well. I see some homes marked as contingent and they have been listed for months. I highly doubt the process of closing is taking that long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2018, 11:22 AM

13 posts, read 11,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigKahunaNC View Post
Under $400k, there's simply not much available. And like someone else said, nearly every listing is currently contingent. Everyone I know who has sold a home in the last year, sold in less than one week.
For the individuals you know who sold their home; what price range? Can you give amounts on what they listed for and what they accepted as an offer? Did they accept offers simply based on the highest amount received or did they look at other things such as, personal relationships, less contingencies, high earnest, etc.

Old 05-21-2018, 11:32 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Are you talking about single family homes? What size home? How many beds/baths? Lot size?

Age of home?

Old 05-21-2018, 11:43 AM

3,318 posts, read 2,335,731 times
You're going to have a hard time finding something for $150,000 in Wake County and if you do, it's not going to be a very desirable property. I'd suggest looking in Johnston, parts of Chatham, Harnett or Lee county. Your money will go a lot further.

Do you have children who will be going to public school?

Old 05-21-2018, 12:12 PM

2,464 posts, read 4,163,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geranium86 View Post
For the individuals you know who sold their home; what price range? Can you give amounts on what they listed for and what they accepted as an offer? Did they accept offers simply based on the highest amount received or did they look at other things such as, personal relationships, less contingencies, high earnest, etc.
All were under $350k I do believe. Got asking price. A couple were townhomes in Brier Creek area, under $300k, one was North Raleigh home just above that price point.

Old 05-21-2018, 12:14 PM

569 posts, read 439,823 times
We sold last June. 3 bedroom/2 bath townhome in N. Raleigh without garage but with renovated kitchen and fenced yard and upgraded landscaping. We listed in line with the recent comps at the time which were 185,900 (We bought 2.5 years prior at $172,000.) We ended up with 22 offers in the first day and a half and ended up selling for $205,000 to buyers who wanted to live in the home and waived the appraisal contingency. We found quickly that people were willing to offer more than our asking price and, even more than we expected it would appraise for so we asked for appraisal contingency. We thought it unfair that people were offering much higher just to beat other people out and hoping that they would then be able to drop price back down to match the appraisal. We wanted to even the playing field so the high offer was really the high offer instead of someone who just wanted to bid high and really be in the same range as the others were offering. While we received a couple cash offers, they were a little lower than the financed offer we ultimately accepted with lots of due diligence.

Is $150k top of budget?

Unless you want to live further out, I'm not sure if you will be able to find anything detached in that price range. There are some townhomes in your budget in Raleigh but the competition is fierce. I just did a quick search and it looks like even in Garner there is not a lot under $150K that is not already under contract and most of that inventory is around 1500 SF or less. It's crazy, townhomes that I remember looking at in the 100-110 price range 10 years ago are now selling for $150k without much updating in N. Raleigh.

Old 05-21-2018, 12:40 PM

881 posts, read 2,252,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geranium86 View Post
Our closing is scheduled for tomorrow on a 2bd room townhome we are selling with no updates. We listed for $135K. We had showings over 2 days with 7 offers. The one who offered the highest amount ($145k) also offered the highest amount of due diligence $ and was flexible with closing dates.

We also had a few all cash investors but there offers weren't as competitive surprisingly.

Old 05-21-2018, 12:57 PM

2,267 posts, read 1,943,623 times
I sold a house for 157 in Durham in May of 2016. They are definitely out there. Look in the Mineral Springs area of Durham and you'll find some.

Old 05-21-2018, 01:35 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times
it might be helpful to your expectations to have your agent provide some higher-level stats....for example:

there are 27 homes (condo to detached) currently for sale in Wake County
287 homes have sold in the last 90 days. that makes it a 9 day supply of homes.
there are 158 pending homes* which equates to about a 7 day supply.

*Contingent = under contract, in the due diligence period. We don't have to mark them pending at any time, and we often don't. It doesn't mean there are any contingencies hanging out there.

I researched for some clients 10 days ago - of 2,654 Wake County sales in their general range, a total of 132 included a Contingent Addendum, that's 5%. The Addendum means it is contingent upon either selling a house (not very likely) or closing the sale of a home.

Old 05-21-2018, 02:42 PM

569 posts, read 439,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
it might be helpful to your expectations to have your agent provide some higher-level stats....for example:

there are 27 homes (condo to detached) currently for sale in Wake County
287 homes have sold in the last 90 days. that makes it a 9 day supply of homes.
there are 158 pending homes* which equates to about a 7 day supply.

*Contingent = under contract, in the due diligence period. We don't have to mark them pending at any time, and we often don't. It doesn't mean there are any contingencies hanging out there.

I researched for some clients 10 days ago - of 2,654 Wake County sales in their general range, a total of 132 included a Contingent Addendum, that's 5%. The Addendum means it is contingent upon either selling a house (not very likely) or closing the sale of a home.
Wow! That makes it tough for someone who can't qualify for two mortgages at once and has to sell first. Then you have the challenge of short term housing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary