Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2018, 07:42 AM

2,908 posts, read 3,871,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlove View Post
Ummm, that means it's getting worse. I lived in Raleigh for 32 years. I left because it had become too big and the drivers were too aggressive. My stress level was through the roof every time I had to drive. I am in the mountains now. We still have crappy drivers up here, just not as many because of the lower population. Raleigh had a much lower population when I was a teen learning to drive. Now I can see why kids don't even want to get their license when they are young anymore.

BTW, your increased population= more opportunity to see bad drivers is not even close to the issue. Increased population = more drivers from other areas bringing their bad driving habits with them when they move here.

Your #2 doesn't even make sense. Seriously.

I have no idea how long you've lived in Raleigh, but your fighting against the fact that driving has gotten much worse in that area holds no water, honestly.

While there may be bad drivers moving to the area, lets be clear, they are joining the many bad drivers that are already here. Many of these drivers are long time residents.

The truth is that there are bad drivers everywhere and when there are too many cars on the road, the problem is exacerbated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2018, 08:39 AM

5,870 posts, read 6,940,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trixie11 View Post
Since moving here, I have seen more bad driving and rude, obnoxious, oblivious, inconsiderate, and otherwise disturbing drivers than anywhere else I have ever lived.

"Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?"

-George Carlin

Old 06-22-2018, 09:32 AM

253 posts, read 283,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Since it was a work truck I found it when I returned to my 'hood and got a pic of the tag and reported them to the Cary police.
This was what I was specifically asking about. I am curious about what happens/would happen if someone "reports" another driver for whatever reason - real or imagined - because they subjectively feel that this driver deserves to be reported. In my original posting - I asked what the result of either one would have been - if I had reported this driver or if this driver had reported me. I can't imagine any law enforcement agency would be happy to receive complaints about bad driving every time someone witnesses it happen. And since we all have cameras now with it so easy to take a picture of each other's plates - I can't imagine why anyone would risk doing anything illegal out there on the roads to start with - since very person is able to "report" everybody else. The question is - what would happen? Do police show up at your door? Do you get a letter in the mail? A ticket? A fine? A phone call? Points? Does it go "on your record" somewhere? What about due process?

Old 06-22-2018, 09:36 AM

6,819 posts, read 9,050,477 times
I would think the police #investigate# then decide what to do.

Old 06-22-2018, 09:36 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times
Quote:
This was what I was specifically asking about. I am curious about what happens/would happen if someone "reports" another driver for whatever reason - real or imagined - because they subjectively feel that this driver deserves to be reported. In my original posting - I asked what the result of either one would have been - if I had reported this driver or if this driver had reported me. I can't imagine any law enforcement agency would be happy to receive complaints about bad driving every time someone witnesses it happen. And since we all have cameras now with it so easy to take a picture of each other's plates - I can't imagine why anyone would risk doing anything illegal out there on the roads to start with - since very person is able to "report" everybody else. The question is - what would happen? Do police show up at your door? Do you get a letter in the mail? A ticket? A fine? A phone call? Points? Does it go "on your record" somewhere? What about due process?
Did the person in the truck do anything illegal?

Old 06-22-2018, 09:38 AM

3,318 posts, read 2,335,731 times
Quote:
Nothing would happen unless you have proof of a crime being committed.

It's your word against his and the police have better things to do than go investigate every time someone gets cut off or gets road raged on.

Taking a picture of their plate is worthless unless you actually have video of them committing a crime. Yelling at you is not a crime. Swerving into the right lane and slamming on his brakes might be a crime, but it's such a small infraction they wouldn't bother with it unless they witnessed it first hand.

Following you could be a crime, but the other driver would likely deny they were following you and then it's just your word against theirs again.

Old 06-22-2018, 10:36 AM

1,527 posts, read 1,479,878 times
Increase traffic enforcement.

Give these traffic rats enough points to get their insurance revoked.

Impound any unlicensed or uninsured vehicles.

Hopefully, these road bullies will need to go back to where they came from.

Old 06-22-2018, 10:40 AM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times
Quote:
Since moving here, I have seen more bad driving and rude, obnoxious, oblivious, inconsiderate, and otherwise disturbing drivers than anywhere else I have ever lived.

I was behind a large pickup truck in the left lane ....We were in a 45 mph zone going about 40 - everything nice, calm and relaxing.
So what are you supposed to do with people like this? How do you handle insane drivers around here, because there sure seems to be a lot of them.
I'm sorry the guy went bonkers. get the heck out of the left lane though, please.

Old 06-22-2018, 10:42 AM

Quote:
1. I was driving the same speed all of the other cars in both lanes were moving at. It was not possible to drive faster - if it was, I would have been. This goes without saying.

2. Remember, I was *behind* the person with no cars behind me. I wasn't holding anyone up by being in the left lane and I was following at a safe distance from the truck in front of me. I thought this was clear in my original posting.

3. I always drive exactly the speed limint unless I am prevented from doing so by cars in front of me. I do not speed or take any chances while driving.

4. I was in the left lane because I was about to turn left.

Thanks for the insight into the area and how people treat others around here.
most of this is more important than most of the first post.

"I had gotten into the left lane because I was about to turn left" is pretty critical stuff, yes?

Old 06-22-2018, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
According to the story, the guy was in front of the OP in the left lane, got into the right lane, hit his brakes so he would be next to the OP, and yelled at the OP. None of that sounds overly dangerous, and it's very possible its being exaggerated. 99% of the time, this doesn't happen for no reason, so that's what makes me curious about the other side of the story. Maybe the guy just wanted to yell at someone for no reason? I guess it's possible...

Look we all have incidents on the road, some just get extra fired up over it and post on message boards.
very true.

if we take a second and ponder logistics .... how did the truck get into the right lane to begin with, if there was no room there and all the cars in both lanes were driving the same speed?

now, as to why the truck was upset, it would clearly have to be that either truck guy was stressed/upset or is truly not right OR that the OP was somehow following too closely and most likely exhibiting some other behavior than simply following a little too close.

the use of cell phones beyond phone calls is something we didn't really have even a decade ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary