Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2018, 06:59 PM

2 posts, read 1,354 times

Advertisements

My SFH was constructed in 2013. For the past couple of months, when it rains a lot, water seeps through the roof into the attic. It is a minor leak (drops of water appear to be getting through a spot where a nail may have existed earlier) but water eventually seeps through a bedroom ceiling if it rains for an extended period. I do not know if there is visible external damage to the roof/ shingles.

Any suggestions/ recommendations for a service provider to resolve this issue and typical cost for an issue of this nature? I am assuming this would not be covered by the builder's 10 year structural warranty nor merit an insurance claim.

Thank you for any responses to help resolve the problem.

Edit after the response below: Location is Cary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2018, 07:03 PM

43,308 posts, read 77,142,685 times
Where is your house located?
There is no point in getting a roofer to run 30 miles for a small leak.

If you have what appears to be a nail hole, you may want an overall "roof tune-up," where a repairman will walk the entire roof, and address any obvious issues.
Probably about $250--$400, and often money well spent.

Old 12-28-2018, 07:05 PM

2 posts, read 1,354 times
Cary. And thank you for the response. Any service provider recommendations for a roof -tune up?

Old 12-28-2018, 07:06 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,276,961 times
There's a couple guys in Cary or the immediate vicinity that do only roof repairs, and are more reasonable than bringing out an installer to do a repair.

I can't remember their names - try your local Nextdoor.

Old 12-28-2018, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roofquery View Post
Cary. And thank you for the response. Any service provider recommendations for a roof -tune up?
Allen and Deans Roofing and Gutters.
(919) 255-1585
Matt Maresh is the owner, and has his own repair crew.
This sort of thing is right up his alley. I have known him for 20 years, and would vouch for his honesty.

You might also try ARK Roofing from Apex.
They only do repairs.
Ark Roofing Company Inc.

Apex, NC
Phone Number
(919) 303-9000

Old 12-28-2018, 10:37 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,843,375 times
Dave's roof repair was great to work with. He made repairs at my personal house, and did not have to wait several weeks for an appointment.

https://www.davesroofrepair.com/homeroofrepair/

Old 12-29-2018, 05:52 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,606,247 times
I had a roofing company come out and do a "tune-up" and it was a waste of money. The same spot still leaks, and another spot leaks where they should have sealed better. I currently have aluminum roasting pans positioned under these areas to catch drips. At least it's not damaging the ceiling that way. I'm due for a new roof in a few years, so I'll have it taken care of then.

Old 12-29-2018, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
I had a roofing company come out and do a "tune-up" and it was a waste of money. The same spot still leaks, and another spot leaks where they should have sealed better. I currently have aluminum roasting pans positioned under these areas to catch drips. At least it's not damaging the ceiling that way. I'm due for a new roof in a few years, so I'll have it taken care of then.
Name of the company?
I bet it was neither of the ones I recommended. Or, Dave's, for that matter.
Leak repairs are a specialty and you don't want a shingle layer doing it.

When I did roof tune-ups it was not uncommon to fix 3 or 4 or more active leaks and 20-30 potential leaks.
For any repair, you want a repair roofer, and he has to "know how water works."

I did plenty of "Walk and Caulks" to stretch the life of roofs that were at or near end of service life of shingles after shingle layer roofers said the roof HAD to be replaced.
And a lot of them were for people who just couldn't afford a new roof at the time. A couple hundred bucks for additional 2-5 years meant a lot to them.
And, I was often the 2nd (or even the 3rd or 4th) roofer on the job because the others didn't have the skills or just didn't care.

Old 12-29-2018, 06:12 AM

735 posts, read 1,585,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacredgrooves View Post
Dave's roof repair was great to work with. He made repairs at my personal house, and did not have to wait several weeks for an appointment.

https://www.davesroofrepair.com/homeroofrepair/
This. Not only can he find the issue quickly, he also guarantees his work and has integrity. Something that is very difficult to find these days.

Old 12-29-2018, 06:17 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,276,961 times
You could always call <insert roofing company here> and have them "find hail or wind damage" and get yourself a new roof.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary