Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2018, 06:02 PM

43 posts, read 35,673 times

Advertisements

My family just relocated to NC from TX and are closing on a home in Wake Forest. I am working on a new budget. Could you please help me get an idea of the utilities we should expect for a 3,000 sqf home (new construction) in Holding Village, Wake Forest? I'd appreciate if you can break it down (electricity, water, gas etc) but a rough total would be fine.

Note: we typically keep the temperature of our home at 77-78 degrees during the summer and 70-72 degrees during winter.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2018, 06:37 AM

3,731 posts, read 2,059,101 times
We live in Wake Forest, similar sized home. A couple of key considerations with my numbers.

1. We keep our cooler in the summer (75 main floor, 72 upstairs) and between 68-72 during winter.
2. We have a fescue lawn that I water regularly during the summer to avoid it turning into a brown wasteland. As a result, our water bill during the summer months is about 2-3 times the bill we see in non summer months (on average). If you don't have an irrigation system/need to water during summer, the second number will be more relevant.
3. Beyond the cooling differences, one thing to keep in mind. Our house has a ton of lights, something like 50 switch panels. Back in May I swapped out every bulb on the property (including a lot of exterior lights lights in our hardscaped backyard) with LEDs/Smart LEDs. This change, if I compare same months, dropped our bill around $78 (assuming everything else was consistent).

Gas - Average for a year is $67.
Water - Average for the year is $130. Leaving out the months we water, average bill is around $70.
Electric - Average for the year is $225.

Now, I couldn't tell you how in line with norms for our neighborhood (Heritage 2/South) we our, but should at the very least give you an idea of what the ball parks are.

I will say, we moved from MA in March of 2017. We didnt have gas there (oil heat which is way more expensive, roughly $600-800 to fill the tank and we filled the tank at least twice a winter), but I find water way more expensive here than there (our bill was quarterly, so maybe it is merely perception) and electric seems higher too (but we had a town owned, co-op electric provider that the residents partially owned, so maybe it isn't a fair comparison).

Old 08-21-2018, 05:53 AM

43 posts, read 35,673 times
Thank you! I was budgeting $350-400 so we are not so far off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary