Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2018, 06:02 AM

61 posts, read 49,941 times

Advertisements

Good Morning!

Looking for suggestions on subdivisions. We relocated here a few years ago and love our jobs, our kids are happy at school and we love Wake Forest. We have a beautiful home but I think that it’s in the wrong subdivision for us. It’s a top notch community, and we chose it because of the schools. We started thinking... let’s look around at surrounding areas. Would like to be 400k or less in home price. Less is better and resales are ok.

We are down to earth people. We aren’t extremely wealthy but we aren’t poor either. We were broke and struggling for many years and that makes us really normal kind of folk, I think. We can’t afford Europe 3 times a year and that’s ok! I’ve never even been to Europe, lol. Would like to be around people that are like minded.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2018, 06:22 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,387,275 times
Are your only criteria $400K or less and being around down to earth people? Do you want to stay in your current school assignment zone?

Frankly, it sounds like you'd be better off seeking out some new friends, as opposed to moving. I'm not at all sure that you're going to find a neighborhood full of down to earth residents.

Old 08-06-2018, 03:29 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,226,257 times
I can't believe you can't find what you want, and similar folks, in the Heritage neighborhoods. I don't know any people in Wake County that go to Europe 3x a year.

Old 08-06-2018, 03:54 PM

125 posts, read 106,156 times
Default Holding Ridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Are your only criteria $400K or less and being around down to earth people? Do you want to stay in your current school assignment zone?

Frankly, it sounds like you'd be better off seeking out some new friends, as opposed to moving. I'm not at all sure that you're going to find a neighborhood full of down to earth residents.
This was my question too, regarding school assignment. If your kids are happy at school, I'm not sure I'd change it.

That said, regarding subdivisions, have you checked out Holding Ridge?

Old 08-07-2018, 06:13 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,586,772 times
I would also suggest heritage if you want to stay in WF. I know a lot of people who live there and none of them go to Europe 3x a year or even every year unless it’s for work. Do people actually do this??? Even retired folks I know with plenty of money don’t do this...

The higher the priced home the more disposable income people generally have so maybe you’re in that situation.

Old 08-07-2018, 06:58 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,254,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnMyWeigh View Post
Good Morning!

Looking for suggestions on subdivisions. We relocated here a few years ago and love our jobs, our kids are happy at school and we love Wake Forest. We have a beautiful home but I think that it’s in the wrong subdivision for us. It’s a top notch community, and we chose it because of the schools. We started thinking... let’s look around at surrounding areas. Would like to be 400k or less in home price. Less is better and resales are ok.

We are down to earth people. We aren’t extremely wealthy but we aren’t poor either. We were broke and struggling for many years and that makes us really normal kind of folk, I think. We can’t afford Europe 3 times a year and that’s ok! I’ve never even been to Europe, lol. Would like to be around people that are like minded.

Thanks in advance!
A few of my favorite neighborhoods in your price range...Heritage, Holding Village, Northampton, Traditions.

Since you are new to the area...if you go to a model home, looking at new construction, the onsite agent works for the builder. You should have your own buyer's agent. There is no cost to you since the builders have a marketing fund that pays the buyer's agent.

If you haven't found an agent before you go, let the onsite agent know that you WILL be bringing your own agent. Since onsite agents work for the builder, they don't always tell you the incentives that are available to buyers and if you are new to buying new construction, you may not know the questions you should be asking.

Old 08-07-2018, 07:59 AM

494 posts, read 816,689 times
If you aren't happy in your section of Heritage, you could try another neighborhood. Heritage is a big subdivision with many sections so another might be a better fit. You could go walk around some of the other sections.

If you do move, make sure you stay with the same school assignments as you said your kids were happy at their schools.

It might be easier as another mentioned to stay in your Heritage house and find like minded folks to hang out with.

Old 08-07-2018, 09:47 AM

2,218 posts, read 2,942,014 times
I think you can find that in any neighborhood even the one you are in. Plus I have found that people in lower priced neighborhoods can have even more "toys" and take more trips than people in higher priced neighborhoods so there is no guarantee.

I really don't mean this to sound mean but I think that maybe you just need to feel ok with what you have and what you can do and not worry about the neighbors that take 3 trips to Europe :-) There are many reasons why people do and do not do things. My husband and I haven't taken one vacation together in over a decade. The reason for this is we do not like to leave our animals or board them.

Old 08-07-2018, 10:26 AM

124 posts, read 121,650 times
As some others of you, I assume OP is in Heritage. I originally came close to buying in Heritage and now I am happy that I didn't. The houses are pretty close together and the prices are pretty high for what you get, not to mention the HOA seems very strict. I live out "in the county" in the Barham area and I love my small neighborhood. Super friendly folks and quiet living. Schools are an issue though, but if you can send your kids to a charter or private school I would say take a look on the other side of 401

Old 08-07-2018, 11:35 AM

342 posts, read 388,351 times
I live in Heritage and I do understand what you mean. I am not a planned community type of person and I really resisted moving here. But there are lots of different types of people that live here, and I've been able to find people with similar values and interests. I also found that actively looking for friends outside the neighborhood with similar activities has helped me dramatically as well. The schools are good and at your kids age, I wouldn't move them and have them adjust to a new school/place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary