Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2018, 07:25 PM

360 posts, read 399,478 times

Advertisements

Thanks all, so seems like Mohu leaf taped to back of the TV is the best option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2018, 07:30 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbee2 View Post
https://www.watchairtv.com

Old 10-09-2018, 07:31 PM

2,267 posts, read 1,943,623 times
Quote:

I could never get any channels with one of the small single TV antennas. Depends on your location/surroundings.

Old 10-09-2018, 08:01 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,575,847 times
Quote:

Nope, not at all the best option. I don't care how good an antenna is advertised as being the best. The fact is an antenna is only as good as the signal it receives and to receive a better signal it must be mounted within the signal. If you're close to Garner/Clayton the Mohu Leaf will be fine because that's from where the signal originates. However, if you're further away the antenna must be mounted high to receive the signal. NO antenna can make up for lack of signal.

Best option is an amplified antenna mounted on the roof (direct line of site). Next best option is amplified antenna mounted inside attic (decent line of site except the roof). Last option is antenna mounted at ground level taped to back of tv.

Old 10-09-2018, 08:58 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,868,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cchampagne232000 View Post
I could never get any channels with one of the small single TV antennas. Depends on your location/surroundings.
Me either, and I think that is due to my building and surroundings and position.

Old 10-10-2018, 11:36 AM

644 posts, read 841,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
Yes. Antenna installed in attic. Control box sends signal to cable box. Line that has antenna signal switched to input on splitter in cable box which sends signal to rest of house.
Could you please clarify this set up? How can you have a cable box if you don't have cable? We are thinking of installing an antenna in the attic, but don't know how to go about it elsewhere.

Old 10-10-2018, 11:37 AM

644 posts, read 841,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
Nope, not at all the best option. I don't care how good an antenna is advertised as being the best. The fact is an antenna is only as good as the signal it receives and to receive a better signal it must be mounted within the signal. If you're close to Garner/Clayton the Mohu Leaf will be fine because that's from where the signal originates. However, if you're further away the antenna must be mounted high to receive the signal. NO antenna can make up for lack of signal.

Best option is an amplified antenna mounted on the roof (direct line of site). Next best option is amplified antenna mounted inside attic (decent line of site except the roof). Last option is antenna mounted at ground level taped to back of tv.
What kind of existing wiring would you need for this option? Would you need a Coax outlet in the attic? If there isn't one how can you go about it?

Old 10-10-2018, 03:02 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,575,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaiho View Post
Could you please clarify this set up? How can you have a cable box if you don't have cable? We are thinking of installing an antenna in the attic, but don't know how to go about it elsewhere.

By cable box I meant the box on the outside of the house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaiho View Post
What kind of existing wiring would you need for this option? Would you need a Coax outlet in the attic? If there isn't one how can you go about it?

I'm using a cheap Chinese amplified antenna which includes an amplifier with 2 outputs. You need to run a coax (my antenna came with 50' of coax which is what I used.) from the attic to a cable jack in a bedroom, playroom, etc (which we'll now call the supply room). That is where you install the amplifier box. Use output 1 to feed the tv in that room. Hook output 2 to the cable jack. Now go to the outside cable box and figure out which wire feeds the supply room. Move that wire to the input of the splitter inside the box. Voila! You now have signal to the entire house.

Hopefully that makes sense. Below is the exact antenna I have. I have also set up several houses of friends / neighbors and all of us receive 30+ channels. Granted, most channels are garbage and I only watch a few. But when I had cable most channels were garbage and I only watched a few. Only difference is I only pay for internet, Amazon Prime and Netflix. Use a mapping tool to figure out which direction to point the antenna. Ex: my house faces southeast. The tv tower in Garner is pretty close to south of my house. So the antenna in my attic is facing towards the left front corner of my house.

https://nocable.org/hd-antenna-coverage-map

https://www.amazon.com/Vansky-Outdoo...s=hdtv+antenna

Old 10-10-2018, 09:33 PM

360 posts, read 399,478 times
For a new home being built I’m thinking of running a coaxial cable from attic into the distribution center in basement. So that in future we can connect an antenna in attic via this coax cable to an amplified splitter in order to distribute OTA TV signal in all the rooms.

Old 10-11-2018, 04:29 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,918,550 times
Quote:
For a new home being built I’m thinking of running a coaxial cable from attic into the distribution center in basement. So that in future we can connect an antenna in attic via this coax cable to an amplified splitter in order to distribute OTA TV signal in all the rooms.
That's a great idea. I wish my house was prewired for antenna in addition to my cable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary