Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2018, 07:30 AM

2 posts, read 2,328 times

Advertisements

We are closing on a new build in North Raleigh next week and need to fence the backyard for our dog. The back of the lot has a "tree protection zone" running across it. Of course, we knew that going in and understand we cannot take out the trees. However, the builder's agent is telling us we also cannot run our fence through the trees - even without disturbing them. I've searched around but cannot find anything from the City's website restricting fence install in these zones.

It would severely shrink the usable property to only fence the sodded area so we'd certainly like to take it to the back line. Anybody have experience with this or direction to the exact wording in the city ordinance?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2018, 09:23 AM

9,144 posts, read 14,757,759 times
When you say tree protection zone, are you talking about the orange fence areas? That's for construction and doesn't specifically apply to you. However, that area may well also be a permanent buffer and then it might have restrictions.

I would call the city planning department and ask to be sure.

Old 12-01-2018, 09:32 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,375,734 times
Here's what the ordinance says about tree conservation areas:

“Tree Conservation Areas are strictly protected by the City of Raleigh. No soil or tree disturbing activity
shall take place within tree conservation areas; including: changes to vegetative cover, stabilization of a
structure or fence, road or walkway construction, tree removal or pruning, chemical or biological agent
application, permanent or temporary encroachments of impervious surfaces, vehicles, equipment or
materials.”

Sounds like putting a fence in one is not allowed. I'd call this guy and confirm that, as well as see what options there area:

Andy Gilliam
Planning Forester
Parks, Recreation, and Cultural Resources
919-996-2477 (Office)

Old 12-01-2018, 10:23 PM

2,376 posts, read 2,929,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDUnative View Post
We are closing on a new build in North Raleigh next week and need to fence the backyard for our dog. The back of the lot has a "tree protection zone" running across it. Of course, we knew that going in and understand we cannot take out the trees. However, the builder's agent is telling us we also cannot run our fence through the trees - even without disturbing them. I've searched around but cannot find anything from the City's website restricting fence install in these zones.

It would severely shrink the usable property to only fence the sodded area so we'd certainly like to take it to the back line. Anybody have experience with this or direction to the exact wording in the city ordinance?

Thanks!
I wouldn’t want my dogs running around in the woods, anyway. Too many snakes and ticks out there.

We back up to the woods, too, but I put the back line of my fence 10-feet short of the tree line. Yes that is less space for the dogs but it’s big enough, and we don’t have to worry about snakes or ticks...

Old 12-02-2018, 12:34 AM

171 posts, read 142,937 times
Have you considered an "invisible" fence?

Old 12-02-2018, 06:26 AM

1,322 posts, read 1,256,472 times
Fences don't stop snakes and ticks.

Old 12-02-2018, 06:51 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,775,030 times
Regardless of anything else being discussed, running the fence through the trees is a bad idea because eventually you will get roots or the trees themselves (or saplings that grow) pushing your fence around. Ask me how I know.

Old 12-02-2018, 08:54 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,328,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 919 rtp View Post
They definitely don't. We have a very tall privacy fence and those snakes and ticks come right on through.

Old 12-02-2018, 09:27 AM

2,376 posts, read 2,929,142 times
Quote:
If you keep the grass cut regularly it seems to work for me. Snakes do not like short grass and ticks have a much harder time getting into your fenced area if deer can’t go in there.

I have a 10-foot buffer zone between my fence and the tree line and I keep that mowed just like inside the fence. That seems to work for me, and I’ve seen several copperheads and had ticks on me from being in the woods around my property. But so far, none of that has made it into our backyard/on our dogs.

Old 12-02-2018, 09:56 AM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,724,475 times
Quote:
I don't think anyone really assumes that. They're for privacy and keeping big things in/out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary