Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2018, 01:09 PM

43,269 posts, read 77,063,738 times

Advertisements

$60 million.
And another local company is absorbed by a major national big box.

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle...Xo2VX6PvDInxJE
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2018, 01:23 PM

2,843 posts, read 2,975,424 times
tell me what to think about this

Old 12-11-2018, 01:25 PM

43,269 posts, read 77,063,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
tell me what to think about this
DR Horton picks up some nice lot inventory.

Terramor cashes out, due to concerns about a softer market.

Win-Win for the parties.

Old 12-11-2018, 01:27 PM

2,843 posts, read 2,975,424 times
oh ok, that's good business!

Old 12-11-2018, 01:49 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,241,994 times
DR Horton's product is far inferior to Terramor's product. And, I don't even really like Terramor.

Old 12-11-2018, 09:57 PM

360 posts, read 399,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
DR Horton's product is far inferior to Terramor's product. And, I don't even really like Terramor.
Why don’t you like terramore. We’ve seen some beautiful houses in Cameron Pond.

Old 12-12-2018, 10:55 AM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,724,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbee2 View Post
Might be a lipstick on a pig scenario.

Old 12-12-2018, 11:05 AM

2,411 posts, read 2,692,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I think the word "product" perfectly describes the home building industry these days. Rather than craftsmanship and a home that you would renovate as it ages, homes today are disposable like an old LCD screen tv or Toyota Camry. You use it for a while, and then when it is outdated and the luster is lost you dump it for a new place that has all the new bells and whistles. You get the new "product" before your current house is REALLY outdated and tough to sell.

Then at the dinner party with the neighbors, residents can talk about how they "customized" the commodity home that was built in a couple weeks with the exact same floorplan as 50 other homes in the neighborhood, talk about they got crown molding installed as an upgrade, and splurged for the Samsung Smart Fridge (and thus their version of the 50 homes that are the exact same is better). Eventually everybody gets bored going to dinner parties in houses that look the exact same and gradually aging, so you shake things up and move into a new neighborhood.

Old 12-12-2018, 11:25 AM

2,376 posts, read 2,929,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbee2 View Post
Well this is just one experience but my brother bought a new Terramore home a few years ago and I would not recommend them, either. He had long punch lists with numerous problems and difficulty working with them to resolve those problems. Maybe he just had a bad crew/project manager, that could certainly be the case, but it wasn't a good experience for him at all.

Most of it was finally solved/repaired before the warranty was over but he's had one lingering structural issue that he's been struggling with and Terramore is trying to run from it. (And Terramore did attempt to fix it twice before with no success.)

He also had a fiasco where they mis-calculated the impervious surface on his lot and a week before they were set to close they told my brother they could not build the walkway that connected his driveway and front porch. They told him to put stepping stones on his lawn after closing.....so at closing his front porch steps literally would just end at the grass. Of course that was a massive battle with them, too...and to solve that problem they had to shave the width of his driveway down to make it work. It was a cluster....

Old 12-12-2018, 11:28 AM

4,543 posts, read 3,744,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT4 View Post
I think the word "product" perfectly describes the home building industry these days. Rather than craftsmanship and a home that you would renovate as it ages, homes today are disposable like an old LCD screen tv or Toyota Camry. You use it for a while, and then when it is outdated and the luster is lost you dump it for a new place that has all the new bells and whistles. You get the new "product" before your current house is REALLY outdated and tough to sell.

Then at the dinner party with the neighbors, residents can talk about how they "customized" the commodity home that was built in a couple weeks with the exact same floorplan as 50 other homes in the neighborhood, talk about they got crown molding installed as an upgrade, and splurged for the Samsung Smart Fridge (and thus their version of the 50 homes that are the exact same is better). Eventually everybody gets bored going to dinner parties in houses that look the exact same and gradually aging, so you shake things up and move into a new neighborhood.

Gotta keep up with the times, right?

Regardless - other than all the people on this forum who only like custom homes, nobody else seems to care that much in the real world. Houses with boring and same floor plans are selling just fine, as everyone just wants a new house, or just live in west Cary or just live in the Triangle in general for those who are moving here from more expensive areas. There are even people who like the "big names" in house building and not smaller local builders. There are all kinds of buyers out there and companies know how to market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary