Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 06:54 AM

1,627 posts, read 6,504,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvmycuties View Post
We've only visited NC and rented for a couple of months, just to get a feel for it.

We liked Chapel Hill schools. We toured them, got the stats, etc. But we wanted to move to a town where there were more transplants, like Cary or Apex. We wanted to "blend in" more, if that is even possible to do. LOL Chapel Hill IS absolutely beautiful though, if you don't mind the college town feel.

Good luck!
You didn't an accurate impression of Chapel Hill if you think there aren't tons of transplants here! Chapel Hill is FULL of international and US transplants both b/c of the universities (those associated w/both UNC and Duke live in Chapel Hill) and b/c of the schools.

Also the only place you'll run into the "college vibe" is right down on Franklin Street and immediate surrounding area. Most of the neighborhoods in Chapel Hill, you'd never even know there's a major university in town! All the areas around Weaver Dairy, Meadowmont, Southern Village, Timberlyne, Lake Forest, Coker Hills, the list could on for miles. All family-oriented and not a touch of university.

CH might not be right for you, but it most definitely full of transplants and outside of the university itself, there is not a university vibe!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2008, 10:52 AM

413 posts, read 1,255,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frogandtoad View Post
CH might not be right for you, but it most definitely full of transplants and outside of the university itself, there is not a university vibe!
Absolutely! That's why we moved north
My husband was born and raised in Chapel Hill, and we used to live there after we got married, but it wasn't the small "village" he had grown up in anymore.

Old 04-25-2008, 09:35 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
Quote:
You didn't an accurate impression of Chapel Hill if you think there aren't tons of transplants here!
No kidding! I was amazed to see the original poster implying that Chapel Hill is lacking in transplants! HUGE numbers of Northern retirees are all around the area!

Old 04-29-2008, 07:01 AM

109 posts, read 392,467 times
In the years I lived in Chapel Hill I would say only about 10% were native to NC, and less than that were native to Chapel Hill. This is my rough guess from my experience having lived there.

Old 04-30-2008, 10:19 AM

12 posts, read 25,837 times
Default Johnston county

Johnston county, specifically the Clayton/Cleveland area may be a good fit for you. I relocate to Clayton from Wake County and have been very pleasantly surprised. We like the schools better over here believe it or not and the community is growing but not out of control. They are building new schools in Johnston County to help with the rapid growth. Growth is an issue no matter where you live in this area. We have easy access to I-40. When we lived in Fuquay-Varina, even though we were in Wake County, we had no easy, quick access to I-40 which made our commute to work actually longer. Western Johnston County is basically "spill over" from rapdily growing Wake County and the schools have a nice community feel and parents seem involved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary