Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2019, 12:24 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,165,256 times

Advertisements

If he is an IT consultant it will be easy for him to make well over $100K. The best option would be for him to travel for IT consulting assignments while living in Raleigh. Many people in the area travel for work or work for companies in other states that allow them to work from home. These are the best ways to get high salaries while living in Raleigh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2019, 12:47 PM

3,395 posts, read 7,773,458 times
There’s definitely 6 figure jobs around with right skills and experience. It might take sometime to land one as a newcomer or from out of state.

8 people and $100k puts you at about 230% of the federal poverty level. Enough to make it, certainly, but not really a lot of money, especially with medical issues and rising medical costs, if you to do things like save for education/retirement or occasionally go on vacations. I certainly wouldn’t be looking at $500K houses in this area making that low unless you have wealth (equity?) to balance out that income. Now if there’s 2 adults working, that certainly changes things.

Old 02-14-2019, 01:38 PM

2,867 posts, read 3,558,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by farebluenc View Post
$100K won’t go very far in Raleigh with six kids and a $500K house.
Forget the house, 6 kids alone is enough!

Old 02-14-2019, 02:56 PM

1,586 posts, read 1,130,160 times
No college degree, family of 4 (plus 2 dogs and 2 cats) and am well into six figures doing Tech Support. Our 3 bedroom ranch house is worth about $180k (1350 sq ft) on a 3/4 acre lot. Ten-fifteen minutes from downtown Raleigh. Not quite apples to apples, but yes it's very doable.

Old 02-14-2019, 03:03 PM

3,307 posts, read 8,562,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Loud View Post
No college degree, family of 4 (plus 2 dogs and 2 cats) and am well into six figures doing Tech Support. Our 3 bedroom ranch house is worth about $180k (1350 sq ft) on a 3/4 acre lot. Ten-fifteen minutes from downtown Raleigh. Not quite apples to apples, but yes it's very doable.
Right, but your situation is different than the OP. They have 4 more kids to feed, clothe and house and apparently some expensive medical expenses on top of that. I mean, it can be done on $100-110k I suppose, but saving for retirement, vacations, etc. will probably not happen. It's also going to be real tight everywhere else unless they're super frugal.

Old 02-14-2019, 03:23 PM

1,177 posts, read 2,341,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Loud View Post
am well into six figures doing Tech Support.
What company? Yall hiring?

Old 02-14-2019, 03:43 PM

174 posts, read 194,578 times
Culturally, The Triangle is a lot more reasonable than Seattle, but it IS a heavily academic part of the BosWash Corridor and far more... (looking for a nice word) full of people like those in Seattle than outsiders might imagine. The natives, though are delightful, and even the former New Yorkers among us seem to mellow out after a while. The further you are away from Charlotte, the Triangle and the Triad the more normal it gets.

We moved down from New England about 5 years ago, and I have a "feeling" (unsupported by our Quicken data) that prices for most stuff are going up a bit faster than inflation (excepting property, which is still astonishingly high and rising). Still better than the way things were going in Connecticut, though. Moving to "near" the Triangle might be smarter... what they call a commute is laughable to outsiders. Local-to-me, housing seem both too big and too expensive.

No first hand data on ease of employment (we are early retirees) but second-hand stories from concerned parents leads me to believe that while there ARE jobs here the competition is fierce. Far too many people want to live in the area, and there is a wave of highly educated youngsters and Oldtimers who still want to work. Having a job in-hand would be a good idea.

Old 02-14-2019, 10:54 PM

2,218 posts, read 2,940,666 times
If your husband has the education/experience in the field you stated he shouldn't have an issue. I know of recent college graduates that are making that (or more) within a year or two of graduation.

However some things to consider.....and correct me if I am wrong..... but I don't believe Washington has state income tax so you would have to factor that in. Also Seattle is like Wake County where properties are being reassessed (unlike places like California with Prop 13) so your property tax could really go up especially if you live in a very desirable area. Our schools are also very underfunded however I still believe that you can get a decent education here but it is still something to think about especially with numerous children.

Old 02-15-2019, 09:19 AM

1,586 posts, read 1,130,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meanieme View Post
What company? Yall hiring?
I wish! ...Could really use the help in Tech Support. However if your in Inside Sales or a BDR then I do know a position will be going up in about a month. My company is "3 D S y s t e m s" (all one word between quotes) in Cary.

Old 02-15-2019, 08:24 PM

1,615 posts, read 1,968,230 times
Be born rich, invest and get richer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary