Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 05:23 PM

161 posts, read 761,701 times

Advertisements

I'm in serious need of tires for my CRV. I prefer not to go through the dealer b/c they'll likely charge a fortune.

Any recommendations of somewhere locally (Raleigh) where I can purchase and have tires replaced for reasonable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 06:22 PM

1,886 posts, read 4,814,386 times
Tire Rack - Your performance experts for tires and wheels
Pop in the model year and it will make recommendations for you. Have them shipped and take them somewhere to have them mounted and balanced. I like Gaston's Garage in Apex.
FWIW our 2007 Cr-V went thru the original tires at 19,000 miles despite proper rotation and plenty of attention paid to proper pressures. We are longtime Honda loyalists but they are cutting corners with the tires that come on their cars the last few years. We put a set of Goodyear Integritys on and have been very pleased-they are far superior to the original Bridgestones and were under $100 per tire. We expect to get 40K miles out of them.

Old 07-14-2009, 08:48 PM

8 posts, read 25,731 times
Sams club, Costco have pretty good deals. You can check the rates from their website. I just had mine done at Sams Club and very happy with it.

Old 07-14-2009, 09:00 PM

300 posts, read 972,991 times
Funky Chicken, I had the exact same problem with my 07 CRV. All 4 tires were bald at 13k miles. I got 4 new Michellins at Atlantic Tire. They said they've been seeing this problem a lot with the low end Hondas (but not the Acuras).

Old 07-14-2009, 09:10 PM

850 posts, read 4,739,972 times
I just had to replace my tires on my Honda Odyssey after about 25K miles. They were totally bald. My DH works at a dealership for a different automaker and his service guys said something about the build of Hondas wears the tires easily, can't remember what it was. Anyway, we searched all over the area for the best prices and ultimately got them at Pep Boys in Raleigh on Glenwood for about $80 each.

Old 07-14-2009, 09:29 PM

4,160 posts, read 4,874,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobirdz27 View Post
Funky Chicken, I had the exact same problem with my 07 CRV. All 4 tires were bald at 13k miles. I got 4 new Michellins at Atlantic Tire. They said they've been seeing this problem a lot with the low end Hondas (but not the Acuras).
I second Atlantic Tire located on Atlantic Ave by UPS. I've used them for tire service on several cars for the past 13 years. They are a locally owned and operated business.

Duty Tire just down the street is also good, but their parking lot is small and always hard to find a parking spot, so I seldom go there now. Duty Tire is also a local family owned business and David Duty is about as honest as they come.

Old 07-15-2009, 06:37 AM

1,501 posts, read 1,726,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babytarheelz View Post
I just had to replace my tires on my Honda Odyssey after about 25K miles. They were totally bald. My DH works at a dealership for a different automaker and his service guys said something about the build of Hondas wears the tires easily, can't remember what it was.
I am dubious about this. I think they have just been putting crummy OEM tires on to cut costs. Our 03 Accord came with rather pricey Michelin Energy tires and those lasted 55K miles. I have an 06 CRV and the original tires lasted about 35K, but were rather loud and had poor wet traction. I replaced them with some Michelin Harmonys (same as Costco/BJS X-Radials) which have worked out very nicely so far, although they weren't particulary cheap.

Old 07-15-2009, 06:41 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,932,158 times
I've had good experiences with both Discount Tire and Just Tires locally. I used to go to Merchant Tire and Auto on Glenwood but their service really took a nosedive a few years ago.

Old 07-15-2009, 06:41 AM

321 posts, read 1,577,066 times
We get our tires at Discount Tire. The service has always been wonderful, good advice. They don't automatically try to sell you the most expensive tire. As for OEM tires on cars. We talked to the manager at our discount tire and they said manufacturers now put on tires that will make the ride the most comfortable off the lot, which usually involves softer rubber (something like that, anyway!). These wear much quicker. I have a Honda Element and that needed tires replacing around 30K, my husband has a Mitsubishi Outlander and needed tires around 25K. Now, we have good tires that are wearing well. Discount tire also provides lifetime rotate and balance (although I think most places do that now). We compared to BJs and Costco and they were the same price, if not, they will price match. If you make an appointment they stick to it and you are in and out in an hour.

Old 07-15-2009, 07:58 AM

286 posts, read 749,586 times
I second Duty Tire. Their prices are better than most, cheaper than Atlantic Ave Tire up the street from my experience. Was a customer at Atlantic Ave Tire for 10 years before moving down the street to Duty about 8 years ago. Be sure to call both for prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary