Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2019, 06:52 AM

4,603 posts, read 6,366,715 times

Advertisements

We have purchased from them twice....great experience both times. Second time they bought back car #1 in the same transaction for car #2. They delivered car #2, and picked up car #1 at the same time....all negotiations are done on line, no painful hours of wasted time car shopping at car lots, dealing with the usual car shopping tactics of used car salespeople.
Hard to beat the experience of car shopping from your easy chair.

Regards
Gemstone1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2019, 07:30 AM

2,464 posts, read 4,167,158 times
They have very competitive prices. It's an interesting concept. They've piqued my interest more than once.

Old 03-24-2019, 10:56 PM

39 posts, read 107,214 times
Purchased a vehicle from Carvana last month. No issues, delivered on the day it was promised, tags and registration came through the mail plenty of time before the temporary tags expired. Good experience and it'll be my first choice for purchasing vehicles in the future.

Old 03-25-2019, 09:48 AM

1,886 posts, read 4,816,202 times
Two points-
It would be a good idea to do as much research as you can about the ownership and location history of any car you are considering purchasing through Carvana. You need to understand that they are sourcing the majority of their inventory from open auctions-in many cases these cars were trade ins to dealers who found a reason to pass on reselling that vehicle.

It also needs to be understood that Carvana has limited resources to service the vehicles they sell. This includes performing manufacturer's recalls.

The text below is cut and pasted from Carvana's website.

"Recently, there have been a large number of manufacturer recalls that affect a wide variety of makes and models of used vehicles. We want to make sure that before you buy, you understand whether the Carvana vehicle you’re considering is affected by an open safety recall.

Our policy is to clearly inform customers of any open safety recalls affecting a Carvana vehicle. We want to earn your trust at every step of our process, and this is no exception.

If a car listed in Carvana’s inventory has an open safety recall with no currently-available remedy, a link to www.nhtsa.gov/recalls will be displayed on the Vehicle’s Display page, allowing you to enter the VIN and learn more about the open recall.

We encourage you to do additional research on the recall before you decide to buy and during your 7-day test own period. If at any point during that 7-day period you no longer feel comfortable with the recall, you can return the car for a refund.

We think this policy and process allows customers to make informed decisions and strikes the right balance between safety and allowing customers the freedom to find the right car for them."

If you read this carefully, you will understand that Carvana will sell you a vehicle with an open manufacturer's recall, even if the NHTSA is documenting the fact that there is no remedy currently available. They are placing the burden of addressing the recalls on to purchaser.

This policy is different from the ones in place at some dealerships, who choose not to sell such vehicles until a recall can be performed and documented.

You should also recognize that vehicles that fall into these categories do not carry the same value at auction or in the marketplace as vehicles without this liability.

Old 03-25-2019, 09:59 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,274,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky Chicken View Post
Two points-
It would be a good idea to do as much research as you can about the ownership and location history of any car you are considering purchasing through Carvana. You need to understand that they are sourcing the majority of their inventory from open auctions-in many cases these cars were trade ins to dealers who found a reason to pass on reselling that vehicle.

It also needs to be understood that Carvana has limited resources to service the vehicles they sell. This includes performing manufacturer's recalls.

"Recently, there have been a large number of manufacturer recalls that affect a wide variety of makes and models of used vehicles. We want to make sure that before you buy, you understand whether the Carvana vehicle you’re considering is affected by an open safety recall.

Our policy is to clearly inform customers of any open safety recalls affecting a Carvana vehicle. We want to earn your trust at every step of our process, and this is no exception.

If a car listed in Carvana’s inventory has an open safety recall with no currently-available remedy, a link to www.nhtsa.gov/recalls will be displayed on the Vehicle’s Display page, allowing you to enter the VIN and learn more about the open recall.

We encourage you to do additional research on the recall before you decide to buy and during your 7-day test own period. If at any point during that 7-day period you no longer feel comfortable with the recall, you can return the car for a refund.

We think this policy and process allows customers to make informed decisions and strikes the right balance between safety and allowing customers the freedom to find the right car for them."

If you read this carefully, you will understand that Carvana will sell you a vehicle with an open manufacturer's recall, even if the NHTSA is documenting the fact that there is no remedy currently available. They are placing the burden of addressing the recalls on to purchaser.

This policy is different from the ones in place at some dealerships, who choose not to sell such vehicles until a recall can be performed and documented.

You should also recognize that vehicles that fall into these categories do not carry the same value at auction or in the marketplace as vehicles without this liability.
Thanks. I'm not overly concerned about the auction aspect - tons of perfectly good cars get sent to auction for various reasons.

As for the recalls, I'm not overly concerned about that either, as most are resolved with a quick trip to the dealer. This is a small price to pay in comparison to the stressful and unethical experiences I've had buying cars at a dealership.

I've done a ton of research over the past few days, and it appears Carvana is legit. There is always risk to buying a car sight-unseen, but you always have a choice within that first 7 days to return the car, no questions asked. If you do have issues and choose to go the repair route, from what I hear Carvana's support is absolutely top notch. Pretty much "take it to the dealership, we'll take care of it".

Their cars also come with a 100 day, 4000k mile warranty, which provides additional peace of mind in a non-used-car-lemon-law state like NC.

I'm probably going to give it a shot. I'm all for supporting anything that fades out the traditional car buying experience. Carmax sort of did that, but you pay the price for their physical locations.

Old 03-25-2019, 10:23 AM

4,264 posts, read 4,715,503 times
Auction Direct is another dealer that does not allow you to take a car from inventory to your personal mechanic for assessment prior to purchase. They also offer an option to undo the deal within 5 days and 500 miles. But I question how workable that option is. Once they have your money, they hold all the cards. I'd like to hear unbiased anecdotes from people who have succeeded in exercising that option.

Compared to buying from any used-car dealer, I prefer private transactions on Craigslist (I've done both). But for the private route, you have to decide your parameters in advance, and you have to be disciplined about the buying decision and keep your antenna up for potential problems, and it may take months to find what you're looking for. And of course there's no opportunity to undo the deal, short of title fraud.

Old 03-25-2019, 10:26 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,274,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
Auction Direct is another dealer that does not allow you to take a car from inventory to your personal mechanic for assessment prior to purchase. They also offer an option to undo the deal within 5 days and 500 miles. But I question how workable that option is. Once they have your money, they hold all the cards. I'd like to hear unbiased anecdotes from people who have succeeded in exercising that option.
/r/carvana and youtube have both been extremely valuable in getting unbiased reviews from actual Carvana customers. I have no found a single review where someone was unable to return the car within the 7 day period.

Old 03-25-2019, 10:33 AM

2,486 posts, read 2,544,554 times
Used vehicle shopping things I have used:
  • Shop outside of triangle for lower prices.
  • Used Costco; dealer delivered car to house with full tank of gas. (No painful talk with F&I person.) Paperwork done on kitchen table!
  • Ask for manager's vehicles, service loaners, cars coming off 2-year lease
  • Enter parameters and store a FREE CarGurus & Craigslist Search (150-mi. radius?); they will email you when your car description gets posted.

Old 03-25-2019, 11:42 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,577,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky Chicken View Post
Two points-

The highlighted comment above applies to every single used car business in existence.

I find it fascinating when a disruptive business model makes headway how so many consumers react with fear or mistrust. Having myself been guilty of this I now force myself out of my own comfort zone to consider risk/reward. I'm in the process of selling my house through Opendoor and keep having to force myself to reevaluate the numbers involved. Like Lyft/Uber, not every new business model works for everyone, but when it does, it greatly simplifies often complicated processes.

As an aside, our closest friends here in Raleigh purchased a car last year through Carvana and haven't stopped singing their praise. It was seamless, simple and eliminated several wasted hours commonly associated with a car buying experience.

Old 03-26-2019, 06:25 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,423,294 times
Every time ive checked out their cars online their prices were very high. I can always find a better deal buying from another state and shipping it here. Thousands cheaper. Ive sold a few cars to them when their purchase prices were really good, but the last car I sold their offer price was way too low. Almost Carmax low.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary