Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2019, 12:16 PM

600 posts, read 3,448,731 times

Advertisements

To piggy back on the Raleigh Restaurant Closings thread...I've been in Raleigh since 1982. Here are a few that are no longer around that I miss the most. Some of them, it's the owners I miss. Sometimes it's the food. Sometimes a mix of both. Here are the ones, though, that I truly wish were still around:

Su Casa...Crabtree Valley Mall. Great people. Good food at a reasonable price. Joe Crow Margarita. Done
Darryl's - Awesome menu.
Fat Daddy's. Good place for a very good burger. The way I want it.
18 Seaboard...I know they haven't technically closed yet, but I like Jason a lot, and I am/was crazy about his food. I know he's still gonna be around, but still.....
Clyde Cooper's Barbecue (The old location)
Allen & Son Barbecue on Hwy. 86. Nobody ever worked harder than Keith Allen at getting it right. Every. Day.
Crowley's - A hidden gem.

Who's on your list?

Regards,
Streamer1212
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2019, 12:44 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,333,920 times
Pepper's Pizza in Chapel Hill

Old 06-13-2019, 12:48 PM

5,882 posts, read 6,950,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Streamer1212 View Post
Su Casa...Crabtree Valley Mall.
I always liked Mr. Dunderbak's at Crabtree. Didn't realize it was a chain, with three locations left.
http://dunderbaks.ieasysite.com/?page_id=6

Old 06-13-2019, 01:17 PM

853 posts, read 588,258 times
Su Casa - Never went so I can't comment
Darryl's - Great decor, loved it
Fat Daddy's - meh, As time went on, they seemed to make burgers with more and more bread and smaller meat portions
18 Seaboard - I will certainly miss it. Have eaten there for a number of years and always had good food and service
Allen and Son - another meh. I wasn't all that impressed
Crowley's - Boy do I miss that place. Loved the "Not So Cajun Chicken."

Other places I miss:
Solomon's - all three locations
Villa Capri - was in Ridgewood Shopping Center, then morphed into Casa Carbonne at Oak Park. I just don't care for it.
Mandarin House - in Cameron Village
The Upstairs - a deli in DT Raleigh for many years
Finch's - on Peace Street, gone but not forgotten.

I'm sure I'll think of more after I post this.

Old 06-13-2019, 01:23 PM

495 posts, read 1,077,862 times
Bonne Soiree. Chip Smith and Tina Vaughn are absolutely firing on all cylinders at their Upper East Side restaurant The Simone in NYC, and imo Bonne Soiree was the best restaurant to ever grace the Triangle, along with . . .

Magnolia Grill

Old 06-13-2019, 01:29 PM

634 posts, read 912,940 times
The two Tripps locations (Garner and Raleigh) franchised by Battleground Restaurants (related to Kickback Jack's, which is too noisy for me), and the Bellini Italian restaurant in Fuquay Varina ...

Last edited by ncdust; 06-13-2019 at 01:58 PM..

Old 06-13-2019, 01:42 PM

142 posts, read 283,815 times
There was an italian restaurant I went to as a kid but I don't remember exactly what its name was. I want to say it was called Giluigi's or G Luigi's... it was in North Raleigh and I ride by it from time to time and miss it.

I also miss Wildflour's SO much!!!!

And also the old Pizza Inn in north raleigh that is now a Sherwin-Williams.

So many happy memories.

Old 06-13-2019, 01:42 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,573,488 times
Baxleys and Ballentines, both near Hillsborough Street.

Old 06-13-2019, 01:52 PM

1,701 posts, read 2,589,222 times
O. T.'s BBQ on NC55 in Apex. Unpretentious, inexpensive, genuine. Pig smoked on site. The building is now home to Daniel's Restaurant.

Old 06-13-2019, 02:08 PM

5,882 posts, read 6,950,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielbmartin View Post
O. T.'s BBQ on NC55 in Apex. Unpretentious, inexpensive, genuine. Pig smoked on site. The building is now home to Daniel's Restaurant.
That reminds me of another great lunch place we would hit, from RTP. Can't remember the name, but it was one of the few seafood places near RTP, down Hwy 54, a mile or two (or three) past intersection with Hwy 55. They would bring a basket of wonderful, hot hush puppies as soon as you sat down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary