Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2019, 02:05 PM

3,444 posts, read 2,823,017 times

Advertisements

You can find plenty of HOA subdivisions that don't have the pet restrictions (# of pets part of the restriction). We had 4 large dogs of our own and my dad's dog would stay with us regularly when we were looking for a home back in the triangle and surrounding areas back in the fall and winter.

I had a great agent and if I saw a house I liked, I'd ask her to pull the covenants before I'd even look at the house. Only 2 subdivisions had restrictions on the number of pets, one had it limited to 4 and one had it limited to 6. NOW, we were looking at more rural subdivisions on a couple of acres, that it could be it's harder within city limits. Our biggest issue was that we have a home business and the vast majority of HOAs restrict home businesses, at least in the areas where we were looking.

Finally found a great subdivision with only about 15 homes and an HOA with no dues and neighbors who take care of their properties (other than the house we bought, it was a foreclosure and sorely neglected).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2019, 02:47 PM

22,678 posts, read 36,831,891 times
Hard to know how strict an HOA is without living there. If your cats are indoors, I question how anyone would know how many you have and exactly what the problem would be with you having four. But the only way to know would be to hang out in the neighborhood and see if you can chat up some residents. But I honestly can't see this being an issue if they are indoors.

And I can absolutely see restricting the number of animals people have. We have some neighbors who go out and leave their dog outside barking for an hour or so. I shudder to think if there were more than one of them. We're not on postage size lots either.

Old 06-18-2019, 03:15 PM

3,444 posts, read 2,823,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Hard to know how strict an HOA is without living there. If your cats are indoors, I question how anyone would know how many you have and exactly what the problem would be with you having four. But the only way to know would be to hang out in the neighborhood and see if you can chat up some residents. But I honestly can't see this being an issue if they are indoors.

And I can absolutely see restricting the number of animals people have. We have some neighbors who go out and leave their dog outside barking for an hour or so. I shudder to think if there were more than one of them. We're not on postage size lots either.
One house we looked at actually didn't have any restrictions that would apply to us. I liked the house a lot, so my very friendly husband went over and talked to the next door neighbor. He mentioned that his 5 dogs (all loose while we were looking at the house) wandered the neighborhood freely (remember we were looking at more rural properties on a bit of land, this house was at the end of a gravel road), as did many other dogs.

I have dogs. They don't wander freely, they are either fenced or in the yard with me, but not out of my yard or wandering the neighborhood. HOWEVER, I don't want dogs coming into my yard and possibly starting fights with my dogs through the fence. Sadly, we had to pass on that house. Fortunately there were some other things I could have lived with that I didn't like and it wasn't my favorite house overall (mainly the overwhelming smell of cigarette smoke that I knew would eventually go away). The house we are in now was my favorite.

Old 06-18-2019, 03:23 PM

5 posts, read 5,746 times
I get it. Thanks for all the input everyone. I'm convinced we should look elsewhere since we have plenty of time. I'm sure we can find a place with less restrictive pet limits.

Old 06-18-2019, 03:45 PM

27 posts, read 31,860 times
I live in Bella Casa, and have for years. Only once or twice did the number of pets come up, and it had to do with dogs. I have no idea if anyone in over 1000 homes has more than two cats. Now if someone had 4 outdoor cats that roamed the neighborhood that would be an issue. I do agree with limits on dogs. There are good responsible dog owners and there are those who don't see a problem when their dogs bark constantly.

Old 06-20-2019, 11:06 AM

85 posts, read 123,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCCATPEOPLE View Post
You can read it here https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/0e81a...efc45a2fe6.pdf but it's all in legalese so I'm not sure what the penalties are. I assume a warning and then fines and then...???

This is the section, towards the bottom that deals with pets:

6. Animals
No animal, livestock or poultry of any kind shall be raised, bred, or kept on any lot,
except that up to two common house-pets may be kept on each Lot provided that (1) they are
not kept, bred, or maintained for commercial purposes, and (2) animals shall not run at large in
the subdivision or be kept in violation of applicable governmental laws and ordinances. No
person shall keep, maintain or permit dangerous animals, or kept any animal which is an
annoyance or nuisance to other Owners.
I think you are reading it incorrectly. I don't think it means 2 animals. It is referring to rule #2. Also it reads as if there are only problems if you have outdoor cats. Outdoor cats are against the law in Cary. So as long as your kitties are indoors, you are okay!

Old 06-20-2019, 11:15 AM

4,305 posts, read 5,995,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddicorcia1 View Post
I think you are reading it incorrectly. I don't think it means 2 animals. It is referring to rule #2. Also it reads as if there are only problems if you have outdoor cats. Outdoor cats are against the law in Cary. So as long as your kitties are indoors, you are okay!
I don't know how you could read this as referring to rule #2 rather than two animals:

Quote:
up to two common house-pets may be kept on each Lot

Old 06-20-2019, 11:20 AM

85 posts, read 123,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
I don't know how you could read this as referring to rule #2 rather than two animals:
Because it states a first rule then it follows up with a second rule. Who ever printed the HOA rules looks like they forgot a period. If I was said buyer, you can ask what are the rules for pets.

Old 06-20-2019, 12:23 PM

4,305 posts, read 5,995,875 times
Quote:
Because it states a first rule then it follows up with a second rule. Who ever printed the HOA rules looks like they forgot a period. If I was said buyer, you can ask what are the rules for pets.
No, the sentence in question states a single rule (up to two animals allowed) with two conditions (not for commercial purposes and may not run at large).

Old 06-20-2019, 03:48 PM

2,064 posts, read 1,646,612 times
Quote:
I can't fathom how you are reading it that way. It clearly states "up to two common house-pets may be kept on each Lot.." Thats not at all ambiguous or confusing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary