Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2019, 08:42 AM

2,064 posts, read 1,642,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by farebluenc View Post
Most urban dense parts of Raleigh are fairly liberal and we have plenty of Warren supporters too. Do you need to take anything else into consideration? Work, schools, budget?
This. And to the OP, are you asking because you wish to be surrounded by similar thinking folks, or are you asking because you don't want to stick out like a sore thumb and be harassed? Your question was "where would we be happiest"...in order to answer that we need to know what would make you happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2019, 08:42 AM

14,967 posts, read 9,797,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Teach View Post
And speaking of accusing others of being judgmental...
Lol... and you? lol

Old 06-30-2019, 08:43 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,330,713 times
Actually, I think you would be more than fine in Chapel Hill, Carrboro, or Durham, but not necessarily Hillsborough. That's where the rural conservatives in Orange County are. As it is, Durham is the most liberal place in this part of the state. You can check past election results here:
https://er.ncsbe.gov/?election_dt=11...=FED&contest=0
Plug in the county and then click "view details" and you will get a map with the different precincts in that county. I just put in the 2016 election because I figured the presidential race was more familiar to you.

Chapel Hill and Carrboro are Orange County
Durham is Durham County
Raleigh/Cary/Wake Forest/Apex, etc is Wake County

The short version is Hillary got 77% of the vote in Durham County, 72% in Orange County, and 57% in Wake County.

BTW, we don't drive Volvos that much in Chapel Hill. They're not eco-friendly enough. Crappy gas mileage. You will see more Priuses than you can shake a stick at, though, and quite a few 100% electric vehicles.

But I do think the others have fair points. You seem to coming in here with some preconceived notions of how it is in The South. It's probably not what you are imagining. Drop the unflattering stereotypes please. We are by and large pretty friendly to people no matter what their politics. There always are a few bad apples and bad actors here and there, but there are folks like that in Oregon and California and in New England too. North Carolina actually has a long history of purple politics. We have had Democratic governors for decades except for Pat McCrory (who lost his re-election bid), Jim Holshouser in the 70s and Jim Martin in the late 80s/early 90s. All the rest were Dems. But at the same time we kept re-electing Jesse Helms to Senate for decades. Very mixed bag here. There are also tons of New Englanders who have resettled here. You won't be alone, but please try to adapt to North Carolina culture. Try some barbecue and biscuits.

Old 06-30-2019, 08:44 AM

2,064 posts, read 1,642,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
Lol... and you? lol
Not understanding, sorry.

Old 06-30-2019, 08:45 AM

1,228 posts, read 797,045 times
Costa Rica

Old 06-30-2019, 08:50 AM

3,731 posts, read 2,057,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Actually, I think you would be more than fine in Chapel Hill, Carrboro, or Durham, but not necessarily Hillsborough. That's where the rural conservatives in Orange County are. As it is, Durham is the most liberal place in this part of the state. You can check past election results here:
https://er.ncsbe.gov/?election_dt=11...=FED&contest=0
Plug in the county and then click "view details" and you will get a map with the different precincts in that county. I just put in the 2016 election because I figured the presidential race was more familiar to you.

Chapel Hill and Carrboro are Orange County
Durham is Durham County
Raleigh/Cary/Wake Forest/Apex, etc is Wake County

The short version is Hillary got 77% of the vote in Durham County, 72% in Orange County, and 57% in Wake County.

BTW, we don't drive Volvos that much in Chapel Hill. They're not eco-friendly enough. Crappy gas mileage. You will see more Priuses than you can shake a stick at, though, and quite a few 100% electric vehicles.

What about Saxapahaw?

Only been out there to see a couple of concerts, but seemed super eclectic.

And I mentioned Hillsborough only because I got the artsy vibe when I was there; admittedly for a brief period of time.

Old 06-30-2019, 09:23 AM

9,144 posts, read 14,759,495 times
Generally, like most of the country, the more urban, the more liberal and the more rural, the more conservative. However, aside from a few jerks, it’s not going to matter much either way.

Old 06-30-2019, 09:26 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,440,930 times
Reading this persons previous posting history it's no wonder they identify the way they do. They have no retirement savings and will be living completely off of SS. From reading between the lines, they want to move somewhere with lower COL than Boston but with lots of free services. They are most definitely not the "liberal elite". They are looking for places with free or reduced public housing. They are in their 60s and have no money for any sort of downpayment to purchase a house.

Old 06-30-2019, 09:31 AM

1,555 posts, read 2,519,443 times
Head out to the Western rural areas of the state for a good cleansing.

Old 06-30-2019, 09:41 AM

35 posts, read 36,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Reading this persons previous posting history it's no wonder they identify the way they do. They have no retirement savings and will be living completely off of SS. From reading between the lines, they want to move somewhere with lower COL than Boston but with lots of free services. They are most definitely not the "liberal elite". They are looking for places with free or reduced public housing. They are in their 60s and have no money for any sort of downpayment to purchase a house.
We will have $4000 - $5000 in social security per month. I think lots of people in NC could live on that. We're not looking for free anything, but will qualify for subsidized housing (which is beautiful here, with 0 waiting list, btw) in our wealthy MA town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary