Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2019, 04:55 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,821,936 times

Advertisements

For those of you who retired to the Triangle area in the last few years, I'm wondering if it has met your expectations. One question that seems to pop up is why retirees choose the Triangle, other than the lower property taxes compared with the northeast, for example.

The state taxes are probably lower than the northeast as well, but not that great compared to other areas, actually kind of middle of the road (no over 65 deduction, for example). The Triangle sales tax is relatively high (7.5%) and groceries are taxed at 2% (basics such as bread and milk).

So, beyond the cost of living (assuming it's cheaper overall than the northeast) and mild winters, what other reasons are retirees seemingly flocking to the Triangle. And have your expectations been met?

Actually, lower property taxes (compared with the northeast) and mild winters are features in many other states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2019, 05:05 PM

2,844 posts, read 2,977,796 times
It's a Goldilocks area

Urban features
Rural features
Suburban features
Lower CoL
Southern values
Allready your neighbor and family from the NE
Jobs
Not heavens waiting room monoculture like South fla or az

Old 07-16-2019, 05:05 PM

9,361 posts, read 14,107,382 times
I would not call the triangle a destination area. It’s good for work and raising kids but people vacation elsewhere. Nonetheless it is relatively clean and has a lot of retail and healthcare, plus lots of entertainment if you look for it.

Old 07-16-2019, 05:08 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,966,169 times
"And have your expectations been met?"
yes.

Old 07-16-2019, 06:49 PM

715 posts, read 889,081 times
As a retiree I moved away from the area despite the kids and grandkids which is part of the retiree growth in the area. Mass migration and along come grandparents....

Just from a tax standpoint you can do better and what are your plans for transportation as this area is so NIMBY to support a public rail and caught up in bad politics you better hope you have someone to rely on.

Healthcare is good here but you can always come as a nonresident and not as if it’s cutting edge for geriatric care. I laugh that someone said Southern values more like South Shore of Long Island...

Old 07-16-2019, 07:47 PM

One nice aspect of this forum is that we get to hear the "real deal," about places from people actually living in these places, not just the slick marketing.

I think the lack of public transit is an issue for an area that is so spread out. Also, as one gets older and/or becomes disabled, and at some point can't drive for whatever reason, that may be a big issue to get around and take care of normal day-to-day living stuff.

Excellent point about the Triangle not being "God's waiting room," as is the case with Florida and AZ.

Old 07-16-2019, 08:59 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
So, beyond the cost of living (assuming it's cheaper overall than the northeast) and mild winters, what other reasons are retirees seemingly flocking to the Triangle.
Where is this data point coming from? I have not heard/seen data that suggests the Triangle is an area that retirees are "seemingly flocking to". It does have things to offer retirees and there are some good retirement places, but I was not aware it was a big retirement destination. I think the coast, especially Brunswick County, seems to be pretty hot within North Carolina as a retirement destination. I am not sure how it compares to the rest of the country, though.

Old 07-17-2019, 08:00 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Where is this data point coming from? I have not heard/seen data that suggests the Triangle is an area that retirees are "seemingly flocking to". It does have things to offer retirees and there are some good retirement places, but I was not aware it was a big retirement destination. I think the coast, especially Brunswick County, seems to be pretty hot within North Carolina as a retirement destination. I am not sure how it compares to the rest of the country, though.
Agree.

My parents came here when my sister did. Otherwise they probably would have stayed on Long Island, paying $12K a year in property tax. They're saving about $10K a year on that. I think the rest of it is a wash for them. And while they would probably like to give up driving, mass transit has its own issues. First of all that implies a level of walkability and my parents don't walk so great anymore. Second, it implies a level of urban living that FOR SURE my father would never go back to having grown up in Washington Heights. I knew quite a few people, including my sister, who said they were going to retire to NYC, but once you start aging you realize walking those sidewalks, living high in the sky and other issues make it less palatable than it was when they were in their 20s. There's not really any solution to all of it, just meeting most of the needs you have at a particular time in your life.

Old 07-17-2019, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
That's why I said, "seemingly." There are plenty of surveys that show the Triangle as a place where retirees are moving. The point of the thread is not to nit pick over data, but to learn why recent retirees (moved in the last few years) are moving to the Triangle area, beyond the COL and milder weather. Let's just agree that there are retirees are moving to the Triangle.

https://smartasset.com/financial-adv...es-moving-2019

Old 07-17-2019, 01:52 PM

4,478 posts, read 11,621,918 times
I thought when I moved here in 2006 that I'd stay here through retirement. Now I'm definitely moving away - either in a couple years, or when I retire 8-9 years. There's just not enough to keep me here over other areas in the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary