Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2019, 09:22 PM

281 posts, read 187,588 times

Advertisements

Hire one of your kids, two employees not married is the minimum for business insurance, at least for united healthcare insurance, which was easy for me to set up
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2019, 03:20 AM

43 posts, read 86,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by n24scube View Post
Hire one of your kids, two employees not married is the minimum for business insurance, at least for united healthcare insurance, which was easy for me to set up
What is the minimum age to work in NC? Our kids are minors (the youngest is <1 and the oldest is 14) but this may be an option for us in the next few years.

Old 08-21-2019, 04:40 AM

2,064 posts, read 1,644,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thElement View Post
What is the minimum age to work in NC? Our kids are minors (the youngest is <1 and the oldest is 14) but this may be an option for us in the next few years.
https://www.labor.nc.gov/workplace-r...tations-youths

Old 08-21-2019, 05:48 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
A 14 year old can work. That’s when my daughter started working.

Old 08-21-2019, 01:27 PM

281 posts, read 187,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
A 14 year old can work. That’s when my daughter started working.

UHC has certain minimum hours you have to have employees work, but I set up co insurance the same year my teenager started working for me, so there was no documentation they required first before they'd allow me to set up company insurance. at that point i was paying unnecessary health insurance for a kid who didn't need it because he was already on parent policy, but it was the only way I could get insurance for myself partway through the calendar year when it wasn't open season for healthcare.gov, so basically it was an extra $200 a month nuisance for a crappy high deductible insur plan for my kid, while i got a good one for myself. They probably won't believe a 14 yr old was working 30 hours a week, and they'll know the kid's age because if that's your 2nd employee, their insurance is priced based on date of birth. You probably can't make this work like I did until they graduate from high school and could viably work 30 hours, regardless of what the labor law says you can hire at whatever age. They seem to want to be sure they person is a full time employee, not a full time student or full time working for someone else.

I don't know if Blue Cross offers something similar as United. The UHC small biz insurance was all I could find for legit health insurance that would cover prescriptions and actual doctor visits, labs, etc

IF ONLY we could buy health insurance across state lines or the NC legislature would get their act together to pass law allowing association health insurance plans. Our insurance industry is jacked up.

Old 08-21-2019, 05:45 PM

42 posts, read 23,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by n24scube View Post
IF ONLY we could buy health insurance across state lines or the NC legislature would get their act together to pass law allowing association health insurance plans.
I used to work for a health insurance company. The parent company owned the BCBS license in multiple states. The BCBS plan in each state had to comply with the laws of that state. So in effect we were selling insurance across state lines, just catering each to state laws. Health insurance would have to be removed from state jurisdiction and moved to federal for there to be uniformity in the plans sold across the country. Or like you said NC legislature would have to pass laws to allow for better plans for us here.

Old 08-21-2019, 05:59 PM

42 posts, read 23,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bear09 View Post
We are a family of 4 and planning to move to Carry area. My husband is a contractor, so we need to buy our insurance. We are not eligible for Medicaid or subsidiary. I am looking for a high deductible plan to cover the worst-case scenarios. When I look at the BCBS NC website, I am able to find the cheapest plan for $1100, but it says in-network deductible for 7900 and out of network deductible for $40000.Also, all the plan shows in BCBS says no max out of pocket limit for out of network coverage. I have lived in a few different states and always bought our health insurance but I never saw any health insurance plan with $40000 deductible for out of network. After looking at this I am a little confused. Anyone out there like us? How do you all manage?
All the plan that shows in BCBS NC starts with Blue Value with UNC Health Alliance
When I got the letter for the 2019 plans, I was stunned to see that there was no limit to Max out pf pocket for out of network coverage. There was a limit in the 2018 plans. And the out of network deductible was also lower in 2018. They reduced the premiums from 2018 to 2019 but made changes like this that I think most folk don't pay attention to.

Old 08-28-2019, 06:09 AM

74 posts, read 33,353 times
Thanks, everyone.
We have the option to move to Raliegh NC or Dallas. I lived in Dallas before, and I'm not too fond of the TX weather, so I was very much excited to try the Raliegh area, but after looking at NC health insurance, I am reluctant to move to NC. Yesterday I called and checked with Texas health options, and they allow husband and wife for group health insurance. Moreover, I can find a decent HMO plan for $1000 with $40 copay for urgent care. I have two young kids, and whenever they get sick urgent care helps. I wouldn't say I like Texas, but there is no doubt Texas is business-friendly compare to others.

Old 08-28-2019, 07:03 AM

598 posts, read 333,258 times
Yeah, the health insurance options offered to individuals in North Carolina are horrible. I learned that when I moved here in 2016 and needed to get health insurance for myself until I got a job. I fell into the "coverage gap," meaning I didn't qualify for Medicaid and made too little to qualify for one of the cost-sharing plans through the ACA. It was absurd. It's a huge relief to be out of that situation, but I wonder how many people with decent coverage through their jobs have any idea how awful it is.

Old 08-28-2019, 07:57 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robin3904 View Post
Yeah, the health insurance options offered to individuals in North Carolina are horrible. I learned that when I moved here in 2016 and needed to get health insurance for myself until I got a job. I fell into the "coverage gap," meaning I didn't qualify for Medicaid and made too little to qualify for one of the cost-sharing plans through the ACA. It was absurd. It's a huge relief to be out of that situation, but I wonder how many people with decent coverage through their jobs have any idea how awful it is.
They don't. Nor do people on Medicare.

I'm 62, non-smoker on a grandfathered BCBS-NC PPO policy. $5000 deductible with monthly premiums of $987. No I'm NOT kidding and, believe it or not, I'm damned glad to have it.

I retired at 52, with DH on Medicare. Initially, I had group coverage thru the AZ Small Business Association. As the prices escalated, people dropped out of the group. In 2012 I was notified that the group policy would not be available for 2013.

At that time (prior to the ACA), Arizona allowed underwriting a lifetime look back for pre-existing conditions. A serious illness in 1998 caused me to be declined by EVERY company - regardless of the fact that the illness had been gone since 2001.

Our choices were limited. move to another state or another country (Seriously considered Mexico), go without insurance (totally unacceptable and stupid) or go back to work just to get insurance. In the end, there were a handful of states that had a high risk pool or guaranteed coverage. NC was the best choice of the lot (for our needs, cost of living and desires).

Before signing up for the high risk pool, I had to prove that I was declined by a NC Insurance company. Astonishingly, BCBS NC accepted me. I'm STILL on that coverage with the same exact policy. In 2012 the monthly premium was $350. In 2019, it's $980/month. HERE'S THE KICKER: If got coverage under the Affordable Care Act, the most similar policy would result in a monthly premium AND a deductible that would be significantly HIGHER.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary