Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2019, 05:47 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,874,860 times

Advertisements

As if. As if it is even debatable.

Also apparently NC law prohibits texting while operating a vehicle. Didn't know that, and from what I see on the roads every day, comes as a surprise. And, the police, according to WRAL News tonight, say "it's simply not enforceable".

One argument was something to the effect of it being a "personal liberty issue". Sheesh. So says a certain Representative, Michael Speciale.

Let's see if this bill gets any legs. Rep Kevin Corbin seems a bit more sensible than Speciale.

The feature said when GA instituted such a law that accidents decreased by double-digits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2019, 06:42 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,284,940 times
I could be wrong, but I think that the personal liberty issue may be that it's impossible to enforce without actually looking at the person's phone. Without doing so, how do you prove someone was texting?

Old 03-12-2019, 07:01 PM

4,567 posts, read 3,767,298 times
How about looking at NJ laws for this, I heard they are pretty strict - something needs to be looked at and what other states are doing.

The current law- yeah it's too hard for Triangle area police to enforce this. Let's say I'm at a red light and I am texting my friend (who has 3 toddlers) about which Triangle brewery to meet up to grab a few beers and to **** off all the non-kid patrons.

The police car next to me at the red light wonders whether I am either texting or looking at Google Maps or looking at some random navigation instructions. How is he/she supposed to know this? And if he/she pulls me over, I will quickly delete my texts to my friend (who has 3 toddlers and wants to go to a Triangle brewery), and quickly turn on Google Maps navigation with some random address. There you go, no one can give me a ticket.

Old 03-12-2019, 07:15 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,231,107 times
Maryland has a law that you cannot have your phone in your hand while driving. They are super strict about it. So much so that in my company handbook it tells the salespeople to pull over if they need to make sales calls or text someone.

Old 03-12-2019, 07:16 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,393,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCviaMD View Post
Maryland has a law that you cannot have your phone in your hand while driving. They are super strict about it. So much so that in my company handbook it tells the salespeople to pull over if they need to make sales calls or text someone.
How is it enforced? One can easily hold one's phone down out of sight of someone outside your car.

Old 03-12-2019, 07:53 PM

16,427 posts, read 12,536,927 times
If I understand correctly, under the current laws, using a cell phone isn't a primary offense, meaning the police can't pull you over for using your phone. They can pull you over for something else (erratic driving, causing an accident, running a red light, etc.) and then cite you further for using your phone.

The debate now is whether to make it a primary offense.

Old 03-12-2019, 08:02 PM

63 posts, read 60,776 times
I would think if a law were put in place similar to what Maryland has (no phone in hand while driving) the enforcement would be done by observation, similar to one getting a ticket for not wearing a seatbelt.

Old 03-12-2019, 08:04 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,393,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbst09 View Post
I would think if a law were put in place similar to what Maryland has (no phone in hand while driving) the enforcement would be done by observation, similar to one getting a ticket for not wearing a seatbelt.
One is much more obvious than the other.

Old 03-13-2019, 03:59 AM

43,343 posts, read 77,198,405 times
Phone and car manufacturers should coordinate to improve phone/car interfaces with specific universal standards and apps.
Using kitchen table 3rd party apps to bridge the gap is ridiculous.

Phones will be used in cars. It should be easier, and the law, to be hands-free.

Old 03-13-2019, 05:29 AM

9,148 posts, read 14,780,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCviaMD View Post
That what I thought they were debating doing here also. It would make it much easier to stop people as they can just claim they were talking and not texting. Plus, the number of people using their phone as a platter on speakerphone between themselves and the wheel when talking is staggering and that can’t be good for car control. Honestly, I used to be totally against an additional law as we have laws now that should cover this, but the more I see people doing it, I’ve changed my stance some. It’s crazy. I’d even give someone a quick glance on a less travelled interstate, at a stoplight or whatever, but daily I see people in stop and go traffic or approaching intersections full out typing and not looking ahead for several seconds at a time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary