Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2019, 05:11 PM

95 posts, read 76,753 times

Advertisements

Moving from a gated planned community in Mt. Pleasant SC to Clayton in the Spring of 2020. My wife and I are retired and ready to leave this high cost of living area. Looking forward to a MBR down 3/4br 2k sq ft. home in a planned community and be closer to our son living in Garner.

I'd like to hear from some of the Flowers Plantation residents as far as pros and cons. We like what we've read about this community. Having lived in northern VA and Charleston SC, we are used to sitting in traffic. I've read most of the older threads about traffic and high water bills and hoping to hear some recent feedback. Our budget is around $300-$320K but can go a little higher for the house that has everything we want. We will be meeting with our realtor 12/22 to look at a house on Duffy Street. Feedback appreciated....thanks.

Last edited by mdo53; 12-08-2019 at 06:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2019, 06:22 PM

323 posts, read 257,961 times
I researched Flowers Plantation quite a bit during my relocation.

It's a great community:safe, quiet, and a good value for the dollar per sq. ft. (compared to similar areas in the western region of the Triangle).

However, depending on your specific preferences, Wendell Falls might be worth a look. This location is a good bit closer to major retail along with super easy access to major highways.

For example, the nearest Target is 25 minutes from Flowers compared to 11 minutes from Wendell.

Old 12-09-2019, 06:38 AM

Twenty five minutes to a Target is fine with me. Trying to avoid city taxes but will consider Wendell Falls and city of Garner too. We are looking for a planned community with Publix or similar grocery store, HOA, small yard, community clubhouse with pool and exercise equipment and nearby elementary school for granddaughter. Daughter and 3 year old granddaughter will relocate with us and be caretakers when we travel.

Old 12-09-2019, 09:17 PM

323 posts, read 257,961 times
It would be hard to go wrong with either community. But the Clayton city taxes are a definite consideration. However, the higher association fees and utility costs in Flowers could offset those.

(Keep in mind that non-Clayton residents pay additional fees for many city amenities.)

If schools are a priority, Flowers appears to have the edge over Garner. And as I mentioned in a prior thread, the Riverwood community also has a highly rated K-5 and middle school on site.

Old 12-10-2019, 11:08 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,719,018 times
That place has changed so much! I remember when it was nothing but fields and Percy Flower's store on the corner.

Old 12-10-2019, 01:53 PM

888 posts, read 806,565 times
Publix is anchoring a shopping center to be built at flowers parkway and 42 so figure some noise there. I thought the Harris Teeter and others were already a good enough shopping center just a block east of this but evidently there's going to be more.

Old 12-12-2019, 04:36 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,838,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdo53 View Post
Twenty five minutes to a Target is fine with me. Trying to avoid city taxes but will consider Wendell Falls and city of Garner too.
Bear in mind regarding "city taxes"--I live just outside a city (Raleigh) too, and it's great that we don't have city taxes, but then we have to pay for private waste disposal/recycling, water, sewage, and our roads are among the last ones plowed when it snows. And we don't get to vote for mayor of the city we live a stone's throw from and spend a lot of time in.

In other words, you won't save as much as you might think due to other fees you wouldn't have on city systems.

Old 12-12-2019, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Bear in mind regarding "city taxes"--I live just outside a city (Raleigh) too, and it's great that we don't have city taxes, but then we have to pay for private waste disposal/recycling, water, sewage, and our roads are among the last ones plowed when it snows. And we don't get to vote for mayor of the city we live a stone's throw from and spend a lot of time in.

In other words, you won't save as much as you might think due to other fees you wouldn't have on city systems.
So water, sewage and trash pickup are included in city taxes?

Old 12-13-2019, 06:17 AM

43,320 posts, read 77,177,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdo53 View Post
So water, sewage and trash pickup are included in city taxes?

No, you will have a separate bill from the City for those services.
It is a convenience and accountability matter.

Old 12-17-2019, 07:24 PM

Visited Flowers Plantation last week, very nice with many amenities (90 mo HOA + 120 mo for pool, tennis, etc) but houses in my price range were too close together. Made an offer on a new almost finished 2950 sq ft 2 story in Cleveland Bluffs subdivision (Clayton). Offer accepted tonight. Nice subdivision with sidewalks and can see the elementary school from the backyard and the middle school is across the street from entrance. HOA $65 mo included pool. County taxes too and best of all it's only a 7 minute ride to our son's house.

Thanks to those who offered feedback. Closing set for 1/30/20.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary