Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 10:36 AM

4 posts, read 24,712 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,
We came across an Orleans neighbourhood that we liked (price, plans etc), but we were a little uneasy with the "Slab on grade" foundation. They didnt have an option for a crawl space which is what we were looking for. Unfortunately, this seems to be getting more and more popular with builders in this area these days. So..a few questions-

1. How good are these builders ? Any good/bad experiences will be really helpful.
2. I've heard and seen about the plumbing/cracks/termite issues on slabs, but is it that common for these homes ?
3. Since the plumbing/crack issues seem to be structural components, will they be covered under warranty ?

Appreciate your comments..

Thanks,
Phani
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2006, 09:07 PM

553 posts, read 2,331,341 times
Many homes are built on slabs. I have owned 7 homes on slabs myself and have never had any issues. I think it is easier to control termites by only inspecting the outside edge of the home instead of having to also inspect the crawl space. There are benefits to both types of foundations. I would assume (still check with the builder) that plumbing and cracks that cause safety concerns or structural concerns are covered. I have found that homes with crawl spaces are easier on my back vs. slabs because it is a softer surface. A slab foundation is perfectly acceptable or they wouldn't build so many homes on them.
As far as Orleans homes, my wife and I did not care for the quality of the finish work. That is not to say they do not build a good home. It just seemed that the finishing touches baseboards, crown moulding etc.. were not of the same quality that we have found with other builders. But hey, if you like it that is all that matters. I checked ripoffreport.com and did not find anything on these builders which is good news. Not sure where you can research complaints against builders. Hope this helps and congratulations on whichever home you buy!

Old 12-27-2006, 12:49 PM

4 posts, read 24,712 times
Thanks deuterdu. Appreciate the feedback and the research you put into this.

Old 05-14-2007, 02:55 PM

1 posts, read 7,579 times
Thumbs up Orleans

Phani,
I had the similar concerns as you have with Orleans builder and quality. We're considering their community called Arbor in the cary park area. As i understand, one good thing is cary city inspection is very particular and strict with the details and wouldn't pass the inspection like foundation and structure etc if they are not to quality..and they also make multiple visits while the home is under construction. Also many builders in this area are building on slab for quite a while and I didn't hear many complaints about it, so I had to convince myself with the slab and vinyl sidings.

anyways i think we will be okay if we bet on it :-)

Did you find any things in your research lately.

thanks,
ry

Old 05-14-2007, 03:07 PM

1,489 posts, read 5,692,353 times
Slabs are certainly less costly than a crawl, but they do limit your options on down the line if you want to do any additional wiring or plumbing. Slabs are mostly found in warmer climates, versus basements or crawls in cooler climates. A lot has to do with the ductwork and insulation. Slab foundations allow for no insulation which is no concern in warmer climates, and in warmer climates you'd also want your ducts in the ceiling since your mostly cooling.

Sooo, in my opinion a crawl is a better choice. Gives you more options, and as said before is easier on your back since you will have some deflection. As far as Orleans as a builder, I think they have a good reputation. But, walk through some of the homes under construction as well as completed. Your value is what is behind the walls, e.g. iron piping for gas lines, quiet pipe for plumbing. Then, depending on the neighborhood, each construction supervisor will be diiferent , and each builder demands different levels of work from their subs.

Old 05-14-2007, 03:14 PM

1,790 posts, read 6,515,154 times
I grew up in a house on a foundation but have lived in a home on a slab for the past 10 years. In the summer there is really no issue but in the winter the slab becomes quite cold and I find myself wearing slippers and socks. I hope my next place will have a foundation instead.

Old 07-20-2008, 04:30 PM

1 posts, read 6,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phanip View Post
Hi Everyone,
We came across an Orleans neighbourhood that we liked (price, plans etc), but we were a little uneasy with the "Slab on grade" foundation. They didnt have an option for a crawl space which is what we were looking for. Unfortunately, this seems to be getting more and more popular with builders in this area these days. So..a few questions-

1. How good are these builders ? Any good/bad experiences will be really helpful.
2. I've heard and seen about the plumbing/cracks/termite issues on slabs, but is it that common for these homes ?
3. Since the plumbing/crack issues seem to be structural components, will they be covered under warranty ?

Appreciate your comments..

Thanks,
Phani
Orleans built my home in Mount Laurel, New Jersey. It's on a slab but the slab is the least of my problems. The metal windows they installed are cold and drafty. All the second floor nails have loosened under the carpet and every floor squeeks. If you go half way up the stairs and shine a flash light across the cealing of the living room, it's like looking at a wash board. I have some walls that are bowed. The scratch coat on the outrside of the slab is now cracking and falling off.
To make a long story short, Orleans builders are about the worst I've seen and I wouldn't recomend them to build a dog house.

Old 07-20-2008, 05:46 PM

551 posts, read 575,009 times
I don't know about Orleans, but I do know about slabs. I prefer slabs in this part of the country because of the clay soil. With the expansion and contraction of the clay soil, crawl space and basement foundations often suffer damage from shifting. Slab on grade, which is what they use here, is poured as one unit with a specially formulated concrete. It is designed to "float" with the movements of the clay, thus reducing the possibility of structural damage. I have also found that a slab foundation keeps me cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter. The Earth is the best insulator around. My heating/cooling bills are now tiny

Old 01-15-2013, 07:58 AM

3 posts, read 14,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Burns View Post
Orleans built my home in Mount Laurel, New Jersey. It's on a slab but the slab is the least of my problems. The metal windows they installed are cold and drafty. All the second floor nails have loosened under the carpet and every floor squeeks. If you go half way up the stairs and shine a flash light across the cealing of the living room, it's like looking at a wash board. I have some walls that are bowed. The scratch coat on the outrside of the slab is now cracking and falling off.
To make a long story short, Orleans builders are about the worst I've seen and I wouldn't recomend them to build a dog house.

I am in the process of buying an orleans home. In the community that I am purchasing, the sub-flooring is screwed, not nailed, to the web truss joist. Also the windows are sealed. The home is build in a crawl space, so I can not speak for the slab problems. But If I have any problems with washboard looking walls, then my inspection will force them to repair, and If I don't catch it during the inspection, then my warranty will kick in , and I will not accept anything other then perfection. Thanks for giving me something to look for, I would probably overlook the ceiling otherwise. I have heard nothing but good things about Orleans ad there warranty. According to my contract, the builder will come in at the 1 year mark, and inspect and repair anything that I want him to, and also anything I may have overlooked. I will update when the house is complete, and after the 1 year mark. I will let everyone know if I am not happy.

Old 01-15-2013, 10:50 AM

4,003 posts, read 10,836,916 times
The tract builders for the most part are interchangeable in regards to quality (in similar price ranges). It is the supervisor of your particular build that creates the difference. Subs will get away with whatever the supervisor allows, so if they are inattentive to detail, the workmanship will suffer. If they are on top of everything, you will get a good product. Spend time onsite, take notes, ask questions, and have inspections. Framing inspections prior to insulation going in are helpful in finding defects not visible after the house is completed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary