Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2020, 09:51 AM

1,462 posts, read 657,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
Yup Yup Yup.

(and yup on the North thing too. I worked in Southie in Boston before we moved down here. For as Liberal MA is viewed, even in 2020, not sure it is safe for Black Americans to be there at night).
No black person would ever dare go to South Boston at night. Not sure they would in the daytime either.
Sadly Boston is not the most segregated city in the US. It comes in around number 7 or so depending on the list. Milwaukee and Detroit are vying for that "honor."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2020, 10:01 AM

3,731 posts, read 2,053,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shallow Hal View Post
No black person would ever dare go to South Boston at night. Not sure they would in the daytime either.
Sadly Boston is not the most segregated city in the US. It comes in around number 7 or so depending on the list. Milwaukee and Detroit are vying for that "honor."

In the Daily Show segment on this I told you about, Ron Wood went out around Fenway during a Sox game and was interviewing people on the street. The segment starts out with him interviewing a bunch of white folks on the street, all of which say, to some extent, that they don't find Boston to be a racist place.

There is then a Monologue scene where he drops a perfect line. "Yaaaa, you wouldn't ask the Dinosaurs if Jurassic Park is safe".

Last edited by GVoR; 06-18-2020 at 10:37 AM..

Old 06-18-2020, 10:09 AM

1,215 posts, read 1,808,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
I went to Charles B. Aycock HS in Wayne County (C/O 2007). I'm expecting another attempt at changing it's name anytime now. In 2015, the local NAACP chapter in Goldsboro pushed to have the name changed. To say that it did not go over well would be an understatement. The issue was quickly dropped and never spoken of again...so far.

I went there too! (Would have been c/o 1982 had I not moved away.) I was always proud of CBA for his stance on education, creating schools for black students, "separate, but equal" stance, etc. His white supremacy and segregationist ideals were not taught at his birthplace, nor did we hear about in our history classes. I never knew anything about that side until several years ago. Last year, my husband and I visited the International Civil Rights Museum in Greensboro. They had an exhibit showing what "separate, but equal" schools looked like. I don't have much respect for him anymore. I doubt a name change will go over well, judging by the FB posts of my CBA classmates. They don't get it, and they probably never will. They complain that people are trying to "rewrite history". In my opinion, they're trying to CORRECT history.

https://www.ncpedia.org/history/cw-1...gton-race-riot

Old 06-18-2020, 10:26 AM

6,653 posts, read 5,580,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitsong View Post
I went there too! (Would have been c/o 1982 had I not moved away.) I was always proud of CBA for his stance on education, creating schools for black students, "separate, but equal" stance, etc. His white supremacy and segregationist ideals were not taught at his birthplace, nor did we hear about in our history classes. I never knew anything about that side until several years ago. Last year, my husband and I visited the International Civil Rights Museum in Greensboro. They had an exhibit showing what "separate, but equal" schools looked like. I don't have much respect for him anymore. I doubt a name change will go over well, judging by the FB posts of my CBA classmates. They don't get it, and they probably never will. They complain that people are trying to "rewrite history". In my opinion, they're trying to CORRECT history.

https://www.ncpedia.org/history/cw-1...gton-race-riot
Btw, the International Civil Rights Museum in Greensboro is excellent. Definitely check it out once it reopens. It's sort of weird in that it's a museum, but you can only tour it via guided tours but the tour guides do a great job.

I mean honestly, I was surprised when I heard that Minneapolis was one of the most segregated cities in the US so Boston doesn't surprise me at all as being up there.

Old 06-18-2020, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
In the Daily Show segment on this I told you about, Ron Wood went out around Fenway during a Sox game and was interviewing people on the street. The segment starts out with him interviewing a bunch of white folks on the street, all of which say, to some extent, that they don't find Boston to be a racist place.

There is then a Monologue scene where he drops a perfect line. "Yaaaa, you wouldn't ask the Dinosaurs is Jurassic Park is safe".
How absolutely perfect and on target is that line! It really does sum it all up.

On that note, maybe white people should also try to consider how black people feel about their schools being named after white supremacists, KKK members, Wilmington riot instigators etc. Would black people feel this decision is too rushed, not necessary because no one remembers (yeah, cause no one was taught about it, ignorance is no excuse)

Old 06-18-2020, 10:42 AM

Quote:
How absolutely perfect and on target is that line! It really does sum it all up.

On that note, maybe white people should also try to consider how black people feel about their schools being named after white supremacists, KKK members, Wilmington riot instigators etc. Would black people feel this decision is too rushed, not necessary because no one remembers (yeah, cause no one was taught about it, ignorance is no excuse)
I think one of the takeaways we/me (white) people need to do is do a lot more listening.

I mean I am not black, and to my knowledge never been a target of Neo-Confederates, KKK members, White Supremacists, Tulsa/Wilmington race riot instigators....and even I find the idea that you would name public places after them mondo-bizarro. I mean I have ardent racists in my extended family; cousins who hang the Rebel Flag, Uncles who speed up when they see a Black American crossing the street, an uncle who was a Medical Doctor who did some really shady shizzz back in the day....and you know what? I haven't talked to them in over 20 years. Other than the blood pumping through my veins, I have no connection to them. They literally don't even exist to me. And my life is better for it. And I certainly wouldn't advocate for them in any way shape or form.

Then again, I didn't grow up with augmented history being taught as fact. So could be entirely unfair for me to opine on that.

Old 06-18-2020, 10:44 AM

6,653 posts, read 5,580,541 times
Quote:
I'm pretty sure they would be happy with the decision. But the widespread anger is not rooted in the names of things, so if we interpret the protests/anger as the desire to change names and not reform of the police/criminal justice system or any other system that leads to racial inequality, then we've completely missed the boat.

Old 06-18-2020, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
I'm pretty sure they would be happy with the decision. But the widespread anger is not rooted in the names of things, so if we interpret the protests/anger as the desire to change names and not reform of the police/criminal justice system or any other system that leads to racial inequality, then we've completely missed the boat.

Bingo pierre.

Old 06-18-2020, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
I agree so totally with you on that. I was just looking at the irony of maybe the dinosaurs here on citydata being asked if Jurassic Park is safe. I know it went over like a lead balloon but it just kinda struck me is all. But yeah changing a name would not be tops on the lists of things that need to be done. But it would still be on the list.

Old 06-18-2020, 11:37 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,923,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitsong View Post
I went there too! (Would have been c/o 1982 had I not moved away.) I was always proud of CBA for his stance on education, creating schools for black students, "separate, but equal" stance, etc.
I went to CBA Junior High in Raleigh in the 1960’s. They changed the name in 1979, but only because the school became the Enloe East Campus. I think it was ‘79.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary