Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2020, 01:27 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,479,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperPhi View Post
Things change, and 2020 has definitely been a year with a lot of change. Also, as was seen with the two food halls opening in Raleigh, there are a lot of "moving pieces" involved with opening these kinds of establishments. Morgan Street was delayed for months as they tried to get all the vendors ready. Videri Chocolate was originally supposed to move into Transfer and the plans had advanced far enough that both Videri and Transfer had announced it...and then plans changed.

Again, this goes back to 2 business enterprises doing what they've determined is best for their own needs. No "cancel culture," no "forcing someone to change a name," etc...just good ol' fashioned market forces at work.
Oh it's definitely "cancel culture" at work.

The fact that the food hall no longer wants to deal with a particular venue due to the current climate definitely points in that direction, especially after it was deemed appropriate just a few months ago.

What's more it shows they don't actually care about being "inclusive", but more about how others perceive them now. Clearly, their heart says something else, or else they wouldn't have been fine with it in December.

If it was approved 30 years ago you'd have a point.

I can't say I don't blame them, but it certainly makes a mockery out of their decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2020, 01:37 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,821,620 times
I can't wait until it opens! Need me some good BBQ and I probably wouldn't have given this place a second thought were it not for this needless kerfuffle! Can't buy this kind of publicity!

Old 07-27-2020, 02:14 PM

1,701 posts, read 2,593,793 times
Some folks are offended by almost everything. Micro-aggressions and micro-micro-aggressions.

One time I had a colleague named Barbara who was a strident feminist. I got along with her fairly well except if I carelessly made a misogynist remark such as "Good morning Barbara." That misstep would put me on her Bad List for the rest of the day.

Old 07-27-2020, 02:26 PM

30 posts, read 20,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post

The fact that the food hall no longer wants to deal with a particular venue due to the current climate definitely points in that direction, especially after it was deemed appropriate just a few months ago.

What's more it shows they don't actually care about being "inclusive", but more about how others perceive them now. Clearly, their heart says something else, or else they wouldn't have been fine with it in December.

I can't say I don't blame them, but it certainly makes a mockery out of their decision.
How long should a business person stick with something before they're allowed to change directions? And to be honest, we don't even have enough verifiable details to know exactly why the change was made. We have a few details from one side and a "we wish them nothing but the best" statement from the other side. It's entirely possible there were additional economic factors & negotiations at work that we're not privy to - especially considering there have been major changes to the economy in the last 6 months. Those kinds of negotiations happen all the time.

It seems a lot of people are eager to jump to a "cancel culture" or "blame the pc crowd" conclusion, but ultimately, two businesses made decisions that they determined were in their best interest. From that perspective, it certainly looks like anyone objecting to that is looking for a reason to be offended (referencing back to the line mentioned in the original post).

Old 07-27-2020, 02:32 PM

13,717 posts, read 12,466,346 times
Quote:

I think it's more likely that the owner of the food hall was trying to project an image of the facility that was incongruous with the name "Redneck BBQ Lab."

Old 07-27-2020, 02:37 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,479,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
I think it's more likely that the owner of the food hall was trying to project an image of the facility that was incongruous with the name "Redneck BBQ Lab."
But only in June. Not in December.

Just call it what it is...he was afraid of the negative publicity in today's climate of BLM.

That's fine...but shows how hollow their decision was.

Old 10-16-2020, 05:13 AM

9,150 posts, read 14,784,628 times
Quote:
But only in June. Not in December.

Just call it what it is...he was afraid of the negative publicity in today's climate of BLM.

That's fine...but shows how hollow their decision was.
Know what makes the whole thing more hollow? Them turning around and doing the same exact thing in North Hills. Which they just did. Willingly and with a straight face. (And dreams of a fat wallet I assume)

Old 10-16-2020, 05:59 AM

6,825 posts, read 9,072,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
Know what makes the whole thing more hollow? Them turning around and doing the same exact thing in North Hills. Which they just did. Willingly and with a straight face. (And dreams of a fat wallet I assume)
Who is the they you refer to? The food hall or redneck lab?

Old 10-16-2020, 06:19 AM

11,228 posts, read 8,319,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
Former Atlanta Radio Talk Show host Neil Boortz used to say that the Constitution does not include the Right to Not Be Offended. Apparently the folks at the forthcoming Old North State Food Hall didn't get that memo.

https://www.wral.com/redneck-bbq-lab...hall/19161596/
"Owner Jerry Stephenson said they were asked at the last minute to change their name because the term "redneck" might be offensive."

I have only eaten at the Redneck BBQ Lab once and found it delicious. Good for the owner for standing up to PC foolishness.
Well, clearly you are offended by those who don't agree with the name. Lucky for you, that is your right.

I've eaten at the McGee Crossroads site once, on a road trip. It was DELICIOUS. Only reason I've not been back is that my wife doesn't love BBQ (I married her anyway), and it's a long drive to do myself.

Sorry, I just don't get the logic of you being so offended by someone else's comment that you have to post about your right not to be offended. I agree with that right, maybe consider exercising it. (And get a plate of delicious BBQ. Their beef ribs are off the chart!)

Old 10-16-2020, 07:04 AM

1,204 posts, read 780,923 times
I do not see this as cancel culture at all. This is a good business acumen. These people invest a lot of money and they want it to succeed. You have to frequent one of these places to understand what they are trying to sell. Food Halls are trying to sell image. It is a fact that young people aren't eating out as much. When they eat out they want experiences. This is the reason why we now have food halls, or like "arcade-bar-food" places. Sadly everyone wants "instagrammable" experiences, which means some businesses aren't as instagrammable as others.

I am pretty sure these people ran everything by their social media consultants, and probably "Redneck BBQ" didn't score high enough. BBQ is a very hot "commodity", right now. Every young wanna be "hip" person wants to brag how they waited in line for 4 hours to get BBQ.

What I am saying it's business, it's money. Kids today are living for "likes" and "followers". I just do not see a 22 year old who is dying to get more IG followers, posting a pic next to a "Redneck BBQ" -- that's really why Food Hall didn't want them there, or they wanted the name changed. If you guys don't get it, look at your own kids, or just go walk around in "hip" places after Covid. People take 50 pics from various angles before eating their food. It's actually terrible and a major turn off for me to see how obsessed we are becoming with these things. But it's our reality now, and these business are trying to follow that trend as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary