Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2020, 10:25 PM

13,705 posts, read 12,413,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal James View Post
What do you mean? OP said: "What are some good areas that I could find a townhouse or condo for that's 150,000 or less?
If OP wanted to live in Wilmington, he or she could buy a townhouse in Wilmington within the stated budget.

But OP didn’t post in the coastal NC thread, OP posted in the Triangle thread, and OP said they want to remain roughly 2 hours from Pilot Mountain where the older parents are while being closer to the beach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2020, 03:22 AM

773 posts, read 645,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
If OP wanted to live in Wilmington, he or she could buy a townhouse in Wilmington within the stated budget.

But OP didn’t post in the coastal NC thread, OP posted in the Triangle thread, and OP said they want to remain roughly 2 hours from Pilot Mountain where the older parents are while being closer to the beach.
I guess I'm interpreting his post differently. I could be wrong. He said: "I dont plan on moving for another 10 to 15 yrs" and "My dad whos 69 still lives in Pilot so that's the reason I'm not moving closer to beach now.. I want to be near him." To me that means he's not looking for a place to move now thats equidistant between the beach and parent, he's planning a future move (when he no longer has to worry about being near his father) to somewhere within 2 hours of the coast.

As noted in several previous threads, there are lots of places within 2 hours of the coast where one could buy a condo for $150K. And your suggestion of just moving to Wilmington is a good one, although I'm guessing the OP doesn't want to be right on the coast? There just seems to be a lot of missing information.

Old 08-11-2020, 07:09 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
Interesting. What has happened down there? Or has it always been like that and my memory is failing?
We purchased about 10 years ago. Lots of trailers on Oak Island. Town decided once a trailer was removed, another trailer could NOT be put there. Folks were buying for the land and building homes. Once the new bridge was built, the end section of the Island became more popular.

And, like everywhere else, prices went UP and are still going UP.

Old 08-11-2020, 10:59 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadfromnc View Post
...... What are some good areas that I could find a townhouse or condo for that's 150,000 or less? Is that realistic at all?....... I dont plan on moving for another 10 to 15 yrs so who know what the markets will be like, heck by then Burlington might be out of my price range... but as of now does anyone know what areas that are about 2 hrs or less away from beach in that price range?
There are townhouses for sale in Holly Ridge currently at under $150,000. Holly Ridge is just inside of Surf City, and it is lightly developed now. They are basic, probably 2-bedroom townhouses. By lightly developed, I mean there is no major grocery store, just a dollar store, and there are no doctors.

There are also condos in the mainland part of Surf City, very conveniently located near 2 grocries stores, a WalMart, a CVS and a family doctor. Two-bedrooms for less than $150K at the Gateway Condos, but they have no garage.

Old 08-11-2020, 11:18 AM

185 posts, read 199,073 times
JONVOS on the right track! It's more to do with not being to far from my father in pilot. In 15 years Ill.be looking at retirement or close to it so a job isn't a issue. Maybe be nice to have a part time time front desk job at a hotel to pass time but nothing more..

Old 08-11-2020, 11:25 AM

773 posts, read 645,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadfromnc View Post
JONVOS on the right track! It's more to do with not being to far from my father in pilot. In 15 years Ill.be looking at retirement or close to it so a job isn't a issue. Maybe be nice to have a part time time front desk job at a hotel to pass time but nothing more..
So you're looking for a location thats about 2 hours from both the beach and Pilot Mountain, where you can buy a condo for $150,000? If so, JONOV's suggestion of Clayton might work; Realtor.com shows a few condos around $150K. None in Garner however.

Honestly though, putting much thought and effort into something 15 years out isn't a task I'd do.

Old 08-11-2020, 11:31 AM

4,596 posts, read 6,350,757 times
There may be good reason some property looks cheap, by comparison. Before I purchased anywhere in NC. I want to know exactly where the CAFO's were. Fort the unaware, CAFO stands for Concentrated Animal Feeding Operation...most are huge hog and poultry operations in that area of the state. This interactive map will detail where they are, how much animal waste they are allowed to generate/store and/or spread on their property....if you drill down far enough. Some of these CAFO's are located pretty much out of harms way, yet others are within the Federal Flood Plain, and can discharge huge amounts of animal waste into streams/rivers when inundated with an unusual water event...hurricane or a 10" rainfall. Buyer Beware.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 08-11-2020, 11:51 AM

185 posts, read 199,073 times
Lol what can I say, I'm a planner.. Its nice to have a general idea of what direction in life I plan on going. even if things change 5 yrs from now...I have learned already that Clayton might be my retirement city. And I have learned to stay away from Lumberton thru my own research of it.. so far it's just me and a dog in my life. If I end up meeting a partner then they better be beach lovers lol... no kids for me now or ever so I dont have to factor them into my move.

Old 08-11-2020, 05:12 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
If you are thinking down the road to retirement, you might like Pinehurst/Southern Pines.

Old 08-11-2020, 05:37 PM

1,243 posts, read 2,237,860 times
If you do not want to be moving 10-15 years from now, all this discussion and suggestions are worthless. Sorry but JMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary