Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2021, 04:12 PM

4,607 posts, read 6,435,061 times

Advertisements

Why didn’t Costco come to OC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2021, 04:26 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,347,028 times
I'm not sure. Chapel Hill was courting them for the parcel that is Caraway Village now, but Costco wasn't interested. Maybe it was more wishful thinking on Chapel Hill's part.

We got Wegman's though.

Last edited by poppydog; 02-07-2021 at 04:40 PM..

Old 02-07-2021, 04:43 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,479,117 times
Hopefully Buc-ee’s can secure another site in/near the Triangle. I doubt Wake or Durham would want this either (most of the Wake County towns seem strict with regard to what goes on the highway. Ditto Durham to a lesser extent.)

Maybe Harnett, Johnston, or Alamance could take it.

Old 02-07-2021, 05:07 PM

1,326 posts, read 725,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
Why didn’t Costco come to OC?
My guess is because the site was on the outskirts of Chapel Hill with little to the west or north where there's a rural buffer that limits growth. As much as some people in Chapel Hill may have wanted a Costco, Costco didn't want Chapel Hill because it couldn't support it with enough customers at least in part due to growth limitations. Target wasn't interested in that site either. I'm not sure either would have been a good fit anyway, but now we have a boatload of unneeded apartments there although they did allow a couple drive thrus too.

Last edited by ITB_OG; 02-07-2021 at 05:16 PM..

Old 02-08-2021, 11:46 AM

2,844 posts, read 2,979,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
The site in question has a creek on it and is environmentally sensitive. Buccees just wasn't a good fit. It wouldn't have provided many jobs, the money generated would go back to Texas, and it was an environmental disaster waiting to happen.

Again, I'm not against well thought out development that brings something to Orange County that we need, but we have plenty of gas stations. Lots of people in OC were in favor of Costco coming, although it didn't pan out, but we got the baby Target instead and that has been pretty nice. What we could really use is the amusement center they were talking about a year or two ago. I looked it up to refresh my memory. It's a Putt-Putt Fun Center with electric go carts, batting cages, putt-putt (of course), laser tag, arcade, etc. It got put on the backburner with the pandemic, but I hope they do build it.
We dont need to go round and round here but ill just say it's beyond absurd to act like a gas station is going to be some environmental catastrophe and yet the interstate it would be beside and has existed for decades servicing a million cars is nope no problem at all. Come on.

The chapel hill community heard 100 gas pumps and got their nimby aired up. They're good at it.

Old 02-08-2021, 12:53 PM

I don't think a county commission can do much about where interstates are routed, can they?

And yeah, as a resident of Orange Co I sure signed that petition, but it was the folks in Efland who started the petition, not anyone from Chapel Hill. The Efland residents are the ones who didn't want it. Where in the world did Bucc-ees get the idea that Orange County, NC was a good fit for the world's largest gas station??

To me, Efland is not a great site for any number of reasons, one being that it's not a great location along the l-85/I-40 corridor in terms of catching folks who need to fill up. If I live in Raleigh and am going to the mountains for the weekend, I'm going to fill up in Raleigh before I leave. I guess you might get some DC to Atlanta folks stopping, but for the folks traveling along I-40 it just doesn't seem ideal, too close to the end of the line in Wilmington.

Lumberton, might be a better choice if they can find the right site so it wouldn't impact the Lumber River. It's halfway between Florida and New York and ideal for catching folks who need a pit-stop.

Old 02-08-2021, 01:26 PM

Quote:
I don't think a county commission can do much about where interstates are routed, can they?

And yeah, as a resident of Orange Co I sure signed that petition, but it was the folks in Efland who started the petition, not anyone from Chapel Hill. The Efland residents are the ones who didn't want it. Where in the world did Bucc-ees get the idea that Orange County, NC was a good fit for the world's largest gas station??

To me, Efland is not a great site for any number of reasons, one being that it's not a great location along the l-85/I-40 corridor in terms of catching folks who need to fill up. If I live in Raleigh and am going to the mountains for the weekend, I'm going to fill up in Raleigh before I leave. I guess you might get some DC to Atlanta folks stopping, but for the folks traveling along I-40 it just doesn't seem ideal, too close to the end of the line in Wilmington.

Lumberton, might be a better choice if they can find the right site so it wouldn't impact the Lumber River. It's halfway between Florida and New York and ideal for catching folks who need a pit-stop.
how far do you think a tank of gas will let you go? You dont think the confluence of two interstates is a good location?

Look i got it from the start, things for the plebes dont belong in OC. Maybe alamance county, or lumberton, you know... places where the plebes live

Old 02-08-2021, 02:05 PM

Really, personally, I don't like the idea of "the world's largest gas station" of 120 pumps anywhere, but if a community wants it, I'm not going to fight them on it. Efland and my larger community of Orange County didn't want it. That's all.

Old 02-08-2021, 02:24 PM

6,656 posts, read 5,595,336 times
Quote:
Really, personally, I don't like the idea of "the world's largest gas station" of 120 pumps anywhere, but if a community wants it, I'm not going to fight them on it. Efland and my larger community of Orange County didn't want it. That's all.
I hate the whole "NIMBY" or "YIMBY" labels. It's possible to take the middle ground and acknowledge the fact that some essential development is necessary and shouldn't impeded, but the community also has some right to dictate what non-essential developments/additional amenities they want in their communities as well.

Old 02-08-2021, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
I hate the whole "NIMBY" or "YIMBY" labels. It's possible to take the middle ground and acknowledge the fact that some essential development is necessary and shouldn't impeded, but the community also has some right to dictate what non-essential developments/additional amenities they want in their communities as well.
every major development in the triangle is always fought from north hills to south point.

The squeaky wheel gets the grease and this was hardly some sort of democratic process. And the only thing socialized was the lopsided NO campaign. I would observe anyone with any actual experience with buc-ees is mostly positive impressions.

As I originally said OC lags far behind its peers wake and durham in development for the most part the only thing that goes is prestige projects. At what point will they be held accountable. Yes wegmans is a prestige project.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary