Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2021, 01:51 PM

5 posts, read 3,551 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am trying to recall the real estate app I used two years ago when house hunting in the Chapel Hill Carborro School District. The app only showed homes in the district. I just can’t find the app anymore. Help would be appreciated.

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2021, 02:16 PM

1,326 posts, read 724,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usafstud View Post
Hi,

I am trying to recall the real estate app I used two years ago when house hunting in the Chapel Hill Carborro School District. The app only showed homes in the district. I just can’t find the app anymore. Help would be appreciated.

TIA
Not sure if it's what you're remembering, but Franklin Street Realty used to have a way to search very easily by district or school, but they unfortunately changed their website. It was nice because they included everything on MLS.

You can still search by school on Zillow although they don't list all homes. You just have to go into the filter, click on "show schools on map" and then click on the school on the map and tap "see homes in this zone."

ETA - just wanted to note that while the info on Franklin Street Realty always seemed very accurate, I'd double check school assignment listed on any of the other real estate apps. They're mostly right, but I've found many many errors as well. I don't think the CHCCS website makes it very easy though unlike Wake. IIRC, I think you have to email to check addresses with them, but I'm not certain.

Last edited by ITB_OG; 01-24-2021 at 02:25 PM..

Old 01-24-2021, 02:36 PM

43,292 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Searching an IDX or VOW site that draws from school assignments as entered in the MLS by listing agents is a pretty fundamental search parameter.
I am amazed when agent sites don't make it easy.

Looking for Chapel Hill schools without designating the CHCSS specifically will drag in Orange County and Chatham County schools, for sure.
At least it isn't like Wake County, where agents can, and do, enter "Wake County School System" to avoid either liability for being wrong, or to avoid entering a less desired school. That really makes search results by assignments even more unreliable.

Old 01-24-2021, 02:58 PM

9,779 posts, read 15,790,796 times
Fonville Morrisey used to have a fantastic search engine. You could narrow it by neighborhood, by school, etc. I looked at it all the time and wouldn't be surprised if I recommended it earlier. But they recently changed their site, and it's not as user friendly (or maybe I'm just not used to it). But you can put a specific school (or school district) or a neighborhood in the search field. And then refine in the 'refine my search' tab to narrow by price, no. bedrooms, etc.

https://www.fmrealty.com/listing/lis...searchtype=map

Old 01-24-2021, 03:02 PM

43,292 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Fonville Morrisey used to have a fantastic search engine. You could narrow it by neighborhood, by school, etc. I looked at it all the time and wouldn't be surprised if I recommended it earlier. But they recently changed their site, and it's not as user friendly. But you can put a specific school (or school district) or a neighborhood in the search field. And then refine in the 'refine my search' tab to narrow by price, no. bedrooms, etc.

That is amazing, how much they compromised the usability of their former site. It looks more contemporary, but a lot of contemporary websites just aren't very good.

Oh, well. My IDX isn't working right, so it is not any better.
Glad the schools discussion came up so I discovered the issue.

Old 01-24-2021, 03:17 PM

9,779 posts, read 15,790,796 times
I just did a test run of it and it's not very good for putting in school district or high school. I put in Chapel Hill-Carrboro Schools and then specifically Chapel Hill High School and a bunch of Briar Chapel homes in Chatham County came up. I did put in Southern Village and that seemed to turn up the right houses that are for sale in my neighborhood. Perhaps the people who entered these Chatham homes did it wrong? Or maybe they are still refining this site. Not sure, but so far I am not a fan. Their old site was great.

Old 01-24-2021, 04:05 PM

82 posts, read 134,739 times
Quote:
I just did a test run of it and it's not very good for putting in school district or high school. I put in Chapel Hill-Carrboro Schools and then specifically Chapel Hill High School and a bunch of Briar Chapel homes in Chatham County came up. I did put in Southern Village and that seemed to turn up the right houses that are for sale in my neighborhood. Perhaps the people who entered these Chatham homes did it wrong? Or maybe they are still refining this site. Not sure, but so far I am not a fan. Their old site was great.
Chatham County really needs its own post office and zip code.

Old 01-24-2021, 04:08 PM

65 posts, read 105,315 times
Quote:
Fonville Morrisey used to have a fantastic search engine. You could narrow it by neighborhood, by school, etc. I looked at it all the time and wouldn't be surprised if I recommended it earlier. But they recently changed their site, and it's not as user friendly (or maybe I'm just not used to it). But you can put a specific school (or school district) or a neighborhood in the search field. And then refine in the 'refine my search' tab to narrow by price, no. bedrooms, etc.

I wish they hadn't changed the Fonville Morrisey website. It was so much more user friendly and informative.

Old 01-24-2021, 06:31 PM

6,379 posts, read 5,495,991 times
If you have a local buyer's agent you are working with..... have them set you up on a saved search through the Triangle MLS. There is an option to search by school assignment in one of the fields.

If the basis for you search is just to include all of CHCCS it's actually fairly easy because you can just fill that field out to include the three high schools (East, CHH, and Carrboro) and that acts as a "chatch-all" for the whole district. If you want a specific "feeder-track" (Seawell, Smith, CHH for example)....you can select any one or multiple of a particular "level" (elementary, middle, high) for schools in that field as well.

Old 01-24-2021, 06:32 PM

6,379 posts, read 5,495,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gillac View Post
I wish they hadn't changed the Fonville Morrisey website. It was so much more user friendly and informative.
As an FM agent....trust me you are not alone in that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary