Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2021, 10:34 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
Just a heads up. The post you are responding to is not by the OP
Whoops.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2021, 11:01 AM

2,216 posts, read 2,936,227 times
Bedford at Falls River in North Raleigh has homes and lifestyles for people of all ages. We have many retired people/seniors here with an active over 55 Club.

There are sidewalks on both sides of the road throughout the entire community and you will see so many different types of people at different stages of life out and about.

Old 03-29-2021, 11:47 AM

1,204 posts, read 776,196 times
What is the point of strictly 55+ neighborhood? Just seems odd to see a bunch of old farts doing fast walks all day long. I do not have kids, but I think kids bring lots of dynamism into a neighborhood. Such weird and creative creatures. Also, I imagine it would be kinda hard to sell that house cause you are intentionally eliminating lots of buyers? Is that even legal? I am trying to understand the perks of 55+ community. Maybe I will get it in about 15-20 years... just like when I hit 35 and never wanted to live close to college kids.

Old 03-29-2021, 12:43 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatchChile View Post
What is the point of strictly 55+ neighborhood? Just seems odd to see a bunch of old farts doing fast walks all day long. I do not have kids, but I think kids bring lots of dynamism into a neighborhood. Such weird and creative creatures. Also, I imagine it would be kinda hard to sell that house cause you are intentionally eliminating lots of buyers? Is that even legal? I am trying to understand the perks of 55+ community. Maybe I will get it in about 15-20 years... just like when I hit 35 and never wanted to live close to college kids.
When one of our first 55+ Active Adult Neighborhoods opened, they used to tell folks that "you are paying for a LIFESTYLE". That was intended to take the BITE of the high prices of the smaller homes!

I'm not against these neighborhoods and I've helped many buyers purchase in these neighborhoods so I'll tell you what they've told me...

They mentioned less noise, less loud music after midnight, less racing cars through the neighborhood, less silliness in the pools, more clubs for them and a clubhouse/community center that caters to what older people enjoy.

Old 03-29-2021, 02:53 PM

4,266 posts, read 11,418,220 times
Quote:

Just to counter your statement of “Just seems odd to see a bunch of old farts doing fast walks all day long”.

My “old fart” (your description) ran the City of Oaks Marathon (26.2 miles) several years in row while we lived in a 55+ community in the Brier Creek area. Oh, and he swam at least a mile every morning in the indoor pool.

Old 03-29-2021, 03:02 PM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Quote:

I've often found that explaining the desire of a strictly 55+ community to somebody who is decades away from that age is pointless. Twenty years ago, I would have said it was weird to live like that.

And explaining one's preference for a 55+ community to someone who already has a negative impression is a total waste of time. Sort of like explaining the benefits of an HOA to a HOA-hater.

Neither side is right or wrong. Just different choices and/or perspectives.

Old 03-29-2021, 03:15 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
Well, I would flip it on you HatchChile and say that I like leaving near college students. I mean I don't want to live in the dorms anymore, but the house across the street is rented by UNC students and I see other students when I am out walking at the park everyday. I enjoy it. I think it's just different strokes for different folks. I don't think I would want to live in a 55+ community, but I would consider a CCRC when I get in my 70s/80s if I make it that long.

Old 03-29-2021, 05:05 PM

7,702 posts, read 5,446,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
You are clearly going to need an actual retirement community if you want child-free access to the pool during the afternoon. Pools are the hub of activity for those neighborhoods that have them, and swim team activity is huge from end of May through July.
Heritage Pines is a 55+ age-restricted, retirement community.

https://www.55places.com/north-carol...%20%5Bexact%5D

All that's needed is for a community—and it need not be a full-on retirement community—is to restrict one of their numerous pools to adult lane swimmers (or afternoon hours that restrict children from using the pool in the afternoons).

There is at least one adult retirement community in the northern SF Bay Area that has 3 pools, and one of those is full-time adults only. That pool accommodates lane swimming, but it is not Olympic-sized or even half-Olympic size.

We are not restricting our search to within Calfornia.

Old 03-29-2021, 05:19 PM

7,702 posts, read 5,446,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Are you talking about swimming in a pool year round? If so, it's going to have to be an indoor pool.

Based on the information you've provided in this thread, a large 55+ community is going to be the best (and maybe only) good fit. (And thats NOT a negative thing, IMO.)
Ideally, any upscale HOA community, age-restricted or not, would have multiple pools, including an indoor pool, even in moderate-climate California. I know of some communities that have an indoor pool, but the structure of those two communities, is "odd" and they have outrageously high HOA "mutuals" and "coupons."

My ideal (if in an age-restricted community) would be for the visiting grandkids to have their own splash pool and adults would have sole access to at least 3-4 lanes of the lap pool, at least in the afternoons.

Last edited by SFBayBoomer; 03-29-2021 at 05:31 PM..

Old 03-29-2021, 08:03 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
SFBayBoomer, are you and wildwalker60 married?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary