Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2021, 12:27 PM

289 posts, read 254,912 times

Advertisements

I haven't been fishing in a long time, but I used to love fishing and want to start again. My question is, from which local water source is it safe to eat the fish? Every time I look into a particular body of water in the area, I find guidance to not eat the fish, or eat in extremely limited quantities.

Is there any body of water (creek/stream, river, pond or lake) from which I can catch and SAFELY eat fish more than a couple of times a month?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2021, 01:02 PM

5,877 posts, read 6,944,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlito2002wgn View Post
Is there any body of water (creek/stream, river, pond or lake) from which I can catch and SAFELY eat fish more than a couple of times a month?
Where are you seeing to not eat the fish? I would think that would be more the exception than the rule.

Here's a link for Jordan Lake, where they highlight the stocking of striped bass.
Fishing at B. Everett Jordan Lake, North Carolina

Old 04-28-2021, 01:56 PM

289 posts, read 254,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
Where are you seeing to not eat the fish? I would think that would be more the exception than the rule.

Here's a link for Jordan Lake, where they highlight the stocking of striped bass.
Fishing at B. Everett Jordan Lake, North Carolina
I'm seeing numerous sources that say to not eat most species of fish from most bodies of water. In some instances, they advise against eating any type of fish caught in particular bodies of water.

Here is an example of a source I have looked at:
https://appliedecology.cals.ncsu.edu...cury-advisory/

Here is another one:
https://chhe.research.ncsu.edu/coec/...on-advisories/

There are plenty of other sources too. The main concerns seem to be Mercury and PCBs, but there are other toxins, too such as dioxins.

The link you provided, unless I missed it, says nothing about the eating of fish. It only talks about "sport fish" which doesn't refer to fish for eating.

Old 04-28-2021, 06:27 PM

231 posts, read 234,154 times
The first link you posted answers your question. It lists 10 species that are ok to eat in eastern NC and 7 in the central part of the state. It also offers specific guidance for many waters.

Old 04-28-2021, 08:40 PM

2,503 posts, read 3,538,769 times
...and note that water bodies not listed in that first link don't have any specific advisories. In particular, the key local reservoirs (Falls Lake [which is not Falls Reservoir], Jordan Lake, Little River Reservoir) are fine.

It does list a PCB advisory for most surface waters in Wake County, with the exception of Swift Creek (i.e., Lake Benson/Wheeler).

Another version of the same info is at http://go.ncsu.edu/EatFish, and specifically a map version at https://appliedecology.cals.ncsu.edu...umption/nc-map.

Old 04-29-2021, 06:36 AM

13,707 posts, read 12,418,158 times
Most bodies of water are safe, locally, at least for most species, the notable exception being Brier Creek/little Brier Creek, BC Reservoir.

The Neuse River, unless you want to eat carp. Catfish it says one meal a month. Bluegill/Bream/Sunfish/Warmouth/Shellcrackers, crappie, etc, can be eaten.

Jordan and Falls Lake. Lake Benson, Lake Wheeler. Bass Lake Park in Holly Springs or Bond Park in Cary.

If you have a hankering for eating catfish, I recommend Bass Lake Park.

Just my .02, when it comes to catfish specifically (since they're plentiful and often eaten here in the South,) keep the smaller ones (12-24 inches) and don't eat the belly meat. Even fish known as tablefare become more "fishy" the bigger they are.

Old 04-29-2021, 08:14 AM

25,118 posts, read 16,204,196 times
don't eat anything caught in Crabtree Creek, nor probably the Neuse before Kinston if not all the way to New Bern.

I have no idea why it wouldn't be generally safe to eat fish from Umstead Park lakes. From decent-sized farm ponds (if you find them that will let you fish), if they're not active farms that spray pesticides

Old 04-29-2021, 09:05 AM

13,707 posts, read 12,418,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
don't eat anything caught in Crabtree Creek, nor probably the Neuse before Kinston if not all the way to New Bern.

I have no idea why it wouldn't be generally safe to eat fish from Umstead Park lakes. From decent-sized farm ponds (if you find them that will let you fish), if they're not active farms that spray pesticides
Neuse is fine except for eating lots of catfish (or carp, but who would?) It gets enough water moving through that it's not as bad as some think.

Old 05-02-2021, 08:40 PM

82 posts, read 134,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post

https://ie.unc.edu/wp-content/upload...ears-later.pdf
https://ie.unc.edu/ward-transformer-...ite-resources/
https://www.epa.gov/enforcement/case...superfund-site

There was a major chemical spill for 15 years in late 60s and 70s, which eventually polluted the lakes with PCBs. It's now a EPA superfund site and I wouldn't eat anything out of the lake...

Old 05-03-2021, 07:13 AM

1,204 posts, read 777,124 times
Not sure about fishing, but here is a neat app that lets you see if the body of water is suitable for swimming: https://www.theswimguide.org/find

FWIW, a couple of streams in Asheville consistently get high marks for swimming, fishing, etc. One thing to consider with rivers in NC is the e.coli. If I remember correctly we do not have any legislature in place to not allow hog farms to let their sh*t flow into our rivers. Additionally, a lot of environmental protections have been stripped off in the last 10 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary