Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2021, 07:12 AM

3,732 posts, read 2,070,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatchChile View Post

I am like blown away that you and Gvor (who apparently read Howard Zinn's book in high school) are being so helpful to a person who refuses the idea of anti-racism something I know you both believe in from your discussions. And, also getting chastised for providing the info that OP asked for. That's what you get, you filthy lefties.

LOL! I just try to be helpful where I can (realizing I whiffed on the whole Year Round school thing here....had no idea that wasn't a county wide concept but I digress).

I did read Howard Zinn's book in HS (I guess I can thank my dad's employer for paying for my private school education overseas) and I certainly realize that the OP and I probably agree on next to nada. But I came from a geographically similar area and such, some of their concerns apply across the political spectrum.

We certainly haven't mastered politically targeted weather........yet

Yours affectionately,

Woke GVoR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2021, 07:35 AM

22,728 posts, read 36,946,661 times
Show of hands, who on this thread actually has a child or children in WCPSS, and what grades?

And who has seen the material that teachers who have gone for training on CRT have actually received and been shown in PowerPoints?

Old 05-11-2021, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Show of hands, who on this thread actually has a child or children in WCPSS, and what grades?

And who has seen the material that teachers who have gone for training on CRT have actually received and been shown in PowerPoints?

Pretty sure it isn't on the 1st grade syllabus, so I haven't seen any of the materials.

If there were HS aged GVoRs running around I would have no more issue with them covering this as a topic in Social Studies than I would have an issue with a teacher covering the US's direct backing of a genocide in Indonesia in 1968 that killed 1-2M people (yet is skipped because, like an alcoholic parent in the family, "shhhh, we don't talk about those things")

Good, bad and ugly. There are no "topics we avoid" in our house (age appropriate obviously). YMMV

Old 05-11-2021, 08:58 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,398,916 times
Well yeah, I am pretty liberal/progressive/whatever you wanna call it. I think my motivation is just answering the question as asked. I would do the same if someone asked for somewhere liberal to live (Durham, Chapel Hill, Carrboro, baby!).

I guess a good case could be made that if we stopped segregating ourselves politically so much we might learn to get along better, but I have to admit I do enjoy the safety of my bubble.

I also like to disabuse people of preconceived notions that they have about the South — it's not warm and sunny and conservative all the time.

We're not all conservative rednecks like Dukes of Hazzard. Some of us are liberal rednecks (well, Trae is actually from Tennessee, but there are others like him in NC) and plenty of us aren't country folk at all. You got all kindsa people here as I know most of you know, but I think a lot of people from places like New Hampshire, which is very, very white (93.1%), do not know. This state is very diverse (63% white, 21% black or African-American, 10% Hispanic or Latino, 3.1% Asian or Pacific Islander, 1.9% two or more races, 1.1% were American Indian or Alaska Native) and can be pretty progressive, especially with regard to race. Unless you put your kids in private school (and of course many times then too) your kids will be going to school with a lot of kids of different races and we will talk about race and racism, whether the schools explicitly teach Critical Race Theory or not. If you don't want to hear that, then this is probably not the region for you.

I really don't know if North Carolina is more conservative than New Hampshire. I do not follow New Hampshire politics. But they've got a Republican governor and we've got our 11th Democratic governor since 1950. We're a real mix here and have been for many many decades (Hunt vs Helms, anyone?).

That said, it is definitely warmer and, I will concede, probably sunnier than New Hampshire, but today and tomorrow suck weather wise. I am so done with this, May, bring back the 80s! Give me those 90s! I live for summer. Love me some heat and humidity. Awwww yeah.

Last edited by poppydog; 05-11-2021 at 09:08 AM..

Old 05-11-2021, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
Pretty sure it isn't on the 1st grade syllabus, so I haven't seen any of the materials.
And you never will, because unless you dress all in black, smoke clove cigarettes, live in the Seattle free zone while your mom and dad funnel you money - you won't have any part of it. I don't care how liberal you are.

I didn't get the sense the OP is trying to avoid other races, or that he's racist. But that's a leap WAY too many people are willing and able to make these days about people they know NOTHING about and have never laid eyes on. It does make me laugh.

I do agree with poppydog. I guess a good case could be made that if we stopped segregating ourselves politically so much we might learn to get along better, but I have to admit I do enjoy the safety of my bubble.

I've learned a lot the past year, by being open minded. But sometimes the people among us who consider themselves the MOST open minded, are indeed the most closed.

Old 05-11-2021, 09:16 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,633,507 times
Quote:
I didn't get the sense the OP is trying to avoid other races, or that he's racist. But that's a leap WAY too many people are willing and able to make these days about people they know NOTHING about and have never laid eyes on. It does make me laugh.
Dude said this: "I am actually on a school board in NH so I know exactly what Critical Race Theory, 1619 project and all of the other leftist crap is that's making it's way into the public schools is all about and I want no part of it for my kids."

He really doesn't want to know the truth about racism or the country's history of racism. He seems to prefer the very whitewashed lessons we learned that left out so much. He's far from alone in that.

Who's close minded now?

Old 05-11-2021, 09:21 AM

Quote:
And you never will, because unless you dress all in black, smoke clove cigarettes, live in the Seattle free zone while your mom and dad funnel you money - you won't have any part of it. I don't care how liberal you are.

I do agree with poppydog. I guess a good case could be made that if we stopped segregating ourselves politically so much we might learn to get along better, but I have to admit I do enjoy the safety of my bubble.

I've learned a lot the past year, by being open minded. But sometimes the people among us who consider themselves the MOST open minded, are indeed the most closed.
I had no preconceived notions or assumption about the OP beyond what he shared. I am certainly not labeling him as anything other than what he has presented here.

And yes I am all for diversity of thought and actually sorta enjoy that my neighborhood is drastically different than my views; life would get boring really fast if everyone thought the same.

Now that isn't to say I respect all opinions/positions, because there are certainly ones I have no time for. But a person is certainly free to think what they want, regardless of righteousness of the position from my seat. I'm just one rando.

I too agree with you and poppy. Getting outside your bubble is a plus.

Old 05-11-2021, 10:00 AM

53 posts, read 42,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NM posts View Post
Dude said this: "I am actually on a school board in NH so I know exactly what Critical Race Theory, 1619 project and all of the other leftist crap is that's making it's way into the public schools is all about and I want no part of it for my kids."

He really doesn't want to know the truth about racism or the country's history of racism. He seems to prefer the very whitewashed lessons we learned that left out so much. He's far from alone in that.

Who's close minded now?

Do you even know what Critical Race Theory is? It teaches kids in schools that America was founded on racism and is still systemically racist today. It teaches that all black people are oppressed minorities and all white people are racist oppressors. No mention of the civil war, the emancipation proclamation, the civil rights act etc etc or any of the other positive steps we've made to atone for sins of the past. It pushes the contemporary narrative that all cops are racist too.

I want to teach my children what Dr. Martin Luther King believed in, that we should live in a world where we are all judged by others based on the content of our character and not the color of our skin. Critical Race Theory tells us that the only thing that matters is skin color. CRT is straight up racism no matter how many race baiting leftists call it "antiracism." It's divisive and repugnant.

In a single post you've managed to illustrate everything we do not want in a community. Ugly, sanctimonious condescending, left wing identity politics.

We would not want to live in any community in NC where the schools are teaching CRT to the kids. We would rather live in a community where the school system believes that its purpose is academics, not to fight culture wars in the classroom against the will of the parents. In case any of you haven't noticed, while our public schools are teaching kids about "social justice" and "equity" the kids in many other developed nations, especially in Asia, are actually studying geometry, calculus, physics etc and running circles around our kids on the international tests which are used to benchmark academic success.

Last edited by DMDP22; 05-11-2021 at 10:09 AM..

Old 05-11-2021, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NM posts View Post

Who's close minded now?
I'll take my question about having kids in the school system and having seen what is actually proposed to be taught is a resounding no for you.

My ancestors didn't get here till the 1900s, so no, I'm not OK with my kids being taught that just because they're white they are the crux of all problems in this country. And no that's not an oversimplification. I've seen some of the PP slides.

I'm not even gonna get into sharing circles, where kids are encouraged to share any and everything personal, with no counselors around to deal with any fallout from said sharing (and I always heard instructional time was a premium when my kids were younger, I guess they've magically come up with more instructional time to incorporate time for sharing circles).

WCPSS is getting ready to pay teachers five figures (yes you read that right - no raises but FIVE FIGURE bonuses) to do reading camps for kids who are behind. Why don't we get them taught while they're actually, ya know, in school? I guess wanting the school district to be good stewards of the money they receive is discriminatory as well.

If one wants to believe that anything labelled "anti racist" is automatically good and noble, well I guess we're done here.

Old 05-11-2021, 10:10 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,633,507 times
Quote:
I'll take my question about having kids in the school system and having seen what is actually proposed to be taught is a resounding no for you.
You're correct that it's a no, but I don't think the question related to my post. My post related to OP's post. But hey, feel free to send me information that shows education of the true racial history of this country to be a bad thing.

Quote:
My ancestors didn't get here till the 1900s, so no, I'm not OK with my kids being taught that just because they're white they are the crux of all problems in this country. And no that's not an oversimplification. I've seen some of the PP slides.

I'm not even gonna get into sharing circles, where kids are encouraged to share any and everything personal, with no counselors around to deal with any fallout from said sharing (and I always heard instructional time was a premium when my kids were younger, I guess they've magically come up with more instructional time to incorporate time for sharing circles).

WCPSS is getting ready to pay teachers five figures (yes you read that right - no raises but FIVE FIGURE bonuses) to do reading camps for kids who are behind. Why don't we get them taught while they're actually, ya know, in school? I guess wanting the school district to be good stewards of the money they receive is discriminatory as well.

If one wants to believe that anything labelled "anti racist" is automatically good and noble, well I guess we're done here.
Somehow I think this IS an oversimplication.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary