Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2021, 10:03 AM

4,560 posts, read 3,763,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NM posts View Post
I just assume these threads are started by someone trying to start trouble at this point.

Like TarHeelNick said, yep! If you look at the OP's other 22 posts, you'll get the idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2021, 10:40 AM

466 posts, read 701,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
https://youtu.be/cTV4z0q9a2U

Is this the video you are referring to? If so, this guy is proven to be a idiot. I watched his Virginia video and being an almost lifelong Virginia resident, his conclusions were based on negative stereotypes with stats dug up on the back of confirmation bias.

As a transplant, the city of Durham is not a rough area overall. Yes, there are bad neighborhoods here like most cities. Yes, some parts aesthetically have seen better days (I’ll even volunteer my part of town, North Durham, as one). But overall, Durham is no worse than anywhere I’ve lived. Durham is in fact a CITY, not all good, not all bad.

Haha I watched that video a few months ago and with each number I was like Kinston's gotta be somewhere on this list. Of course it ended up being #1 which I agree with, having been born and raised there.

Old 05-28-2021, 10:43 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,737,872 times
I suggest you get a subscription to the local newspaper and see for yourself. I think that would be the Herald Sun, or maybe Raleigh’s News and Observer. After reading the paper for several weeks you can get a better sense of Durham.

Old 05-28-2021, 12:52 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,858,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpetbutt View Post
Durham has higher crime but also much better restaurants than other cities and towns in this region. You take the good with the bad.

I've heard people say that most of the violent crime in Durham is "criminal on criminal" and there's a low risk of being a victim as long as you avoid certain areas and don't act like an ass if you do find yourself in them.

If I were in my twenties and a recent grad, I'd definitely consider living in Durham. If I had school-aged kids? I'd stick to some other counties.
Yes, because the public schools are still the largest issue with Durham.

Old 05-28-2021, 01:21 PM

6,382 posts, read 5,505,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
Like TarHeelNick said, yep! If you look at the OP's other 22 posts, you'll get the idea.
Yep.

I'm not going to say I never acted a fool when I was 20 but trolling an online forum to rile people up in another state? That's some lazy foolishness. What ever happened to the good ole' days of shotgunning fourlokos and then making a slip-in-slide at your friend's parents lake house with a hose, laundry detergent and a tarp?

Old 05-28-2021, 01:42 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,480,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMMH View Post
Haha I watched that video a few months ago and with each number I was like Kinston's gotta be somewhere on this list. Of course it ended up being #1 which I agree with, having been born and raised there.
I watched that video and said Lumberton has to be somewhere on this list; It ended up #2.

That said, I don’t really take this list seriously. I wouldn’t associate Winston-Salem with “Absolutely don’t move there” and I don’t like how he conflates the gritty nature of BOTH Durham and W-S with “Dingy”

Old 05-28-2021, 06:32 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,232,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooners9354 View Post
So I was watching a video on YouTube of the 10 places in North Carolina not to move to and at #10 Durham was on the list, I was like isn’t where Duke University is located? I always thought it was some nice area with a bunch of nice houses like a suburb.
Must be this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTV4z0q9a2U

Durham "could" be the 10th worst - but as he noted, it's "come a long way baby" since the 1990's. Durham really changed when the DBAP and American Tobacco and the DPAC all got built. As a Durham native, 40 years ago we'd scoot through downtown from the south (near Hope Valley) as quick as we could to get to North Duke Park (just south of 85) where my grandparents lived. And my Dad worried about his parents there; if you went 5 blocks in any direction, you were right back into property crime and joblessness and worse. But Durham today - Duke Hospital is MUCH larger, someone finally realized that Durham is 10 minutes to RTP vs 25-40 from Raleigh, and Durham capitalized much faster than Raleigh on downtown revitalization (to their benefit they had all the old tobacco warehouses).

I'd say every city below/above it in the list is more deserving of the scorn. I would say Keenston is NOT the worst, as the list claims. Rocky Mount, Laurinburg, and especially Lumberton are well below that.

And frankly, possibly in some racist ways, I note he didn't venture west of the Triad. There's plenty of dirt poor jobless and activity-less small towns from Hickory west and north you wouldn't want to move.

Last edited by BoBromhal; 05-28-2021 at 07:01 PM..

Old 05-28-2021, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NM posts View Post
I just assume these threads are started by someone trying to start trouble at this point.
the OP has mostly posted regarding Texas, where he lives currently, to this point.

Who knows how a significant % of folks get their opinion from google/youtube, but they do.

Old 05-28-2021, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
There is an area around NCCU and east Durham you might not want to live in/venture to at night, but the rest of the city is safe and really nice. I lived in South Durham and never felt unsafe either there or downtown or on the western side near Duke. In fact, my wife and I currently live in midtown Raleigh but I work in Durham and she just got a job in downtown Durham...so we are probably about to move there ourselves.

Raleigh has sketchy areas too. That ABC store off Appliance Ct...that has me feeling more unsafe than I ever felt in Durham, haha.
that ABC store >>> ABC store on New Bern Ave near Poole Rd split. You have to ask for your choice at the latter.

But yes, Appliance Ct has 1 or more extended stay ****otels next door.

Old 05-28-2021, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
Yes, because the public schools are still the largest issue with Durham.
it's rather curious. If Durham "cared", then they'd pour more effort into the schools, so that ANYBODY would never think twice about NOT moving there. It could be like an elite "small town" to all the inbounds.

Durham is THE city in the Triangle that *could* stand by itself and be THE place that inbound folks wanted to move their families. Chapel Hill is bound to UNC. Raleigh is bound to state government.

Durham has had the best "culture" scene for adults > 25 since 1990 at least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary