Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2021, 01:13 AM

346 posts, read 314,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by farebluenc View Post
Have you considered Greensboro? It's less expensive and they have a pretty big LGBT community. I rented a 2BR apartment in Raleigh a few years ago for $1500 in a nice building, so it seems possible that you could find what you're looking for with a roommate. If you're looking for an apartment to rent for $600 and rent that would probably be pretty unrealistic.

Wow please do tell. I will have to look into that as well.

Yea thats all I was saying, with a roommate I could find something for the same or not that much more than in Columbia. SC is expensive I been learning, just a lot more than people give it credit for being.

Damn what did people think I was saying?? 600 for a whole apartment?? LOLOLOLOL

You got a few hardcore liberals that want to make it Oregon but then a hardcore conservative base in the majority. Its like how Portland used to be here when it was a place nobody discovered yet, then it got discovered and BOOM. Columbia might be one of those places in the making.

I think if you put Greenville and Columbia together, you'd get the old Portland or something quite close. Lexington is like Beaverton to me. It would get that "cool" vibe but a lot of hate would be underneath still.

But no I do have priorities, I have a long term relationship on my mind as well to possibly eventually get me out of some of this crap I been facing, assuming I would find some of it in Raleigh or Greensboro also, just incase but I feel it will go better to be honest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2021, 12:00 PM

3,655 posts, read 4,541,635 times
There are several hundred listings for rooms for rent for less than $650 in the Raleigh area. Many listings between 450-550. Last time I rented a room here in the Triangle was in West Raleigh in an apartment and it was $450 all utilities included. My Durham and Carrboro rooms were also $450. Though that was 2014-2016.

Old 08-12-2021, 11:26 AM

10,731 posts, read 22,911,564 times
Gay man here, grew up in the Triangle. PM me if you need more Community details, but it's quite open.

30 years ago, Raleigh and Columbia were very similar in most ways, but Raleigh has become much more progressive much faster, not to mention that we have Durham and Chapel Hill here that are the most liberal parts of the state. LOTS of ***** groups here, LGBT Centers in both Raleigh & Durham which has trans* programs, and 3 big universities here all with LGBT Centers for resources.

The culture would be just fine; not sure about the budget though because prices are skyrocketing as we be once again become a "highly desirable place" for people far and wide to hop in the car and move here because they read an article about the benefits of the area.

I don't recall seeing anything about what industry you'd be working in, but probably Durham or Carrboro are better places to check first than Raleigh or Chapel Hill (which are more expensive). The Ninth Street area of Durham seems to be the central area for quote-unquote "Bohemians" and Carrboro in general is known for that.

Old 08-12-2021, 02:42 PM

1,204 posts, read 789,273 times
Durham. Period. Lots of LGBTQ events, inclusive. I am gay and fitting in, finding friends, finding doctors, is never an issue. I know as a trans woman you may face completely different set of obstacles and discrimination, but I think you'll find that people here are very accepting. NC Blue Cross recently expanded coverage for transgender surgeries, if that's important. There seem to be lots of LGBTQ accepting churches. I am not a religious person but pretty much every church I see in Durham had a rainbow flag during the pride month.

There is an LGBTQ cohousing place for those who are 55+ in Durham. I am not sure if there are similar things for younger LGBTQ folks, but there is a Durham LGBT Center and they are always doing some events. Not just fun stuff but like food and clothing drives, educational stuff. I think you'll like it here. Not sure when this Delta BS is going to end, but you should come down and check all these cities out. I'm pretty sure Durham Pride will happen in September. Probably not full on parade and celebration, but I am sure they'll do something and 100% outside. Might be a prime time to come and see if it's a good fit! It's the 40th anniversary of Durham Pride so it's going to be lit (as much as Delta allows, lol).

Old 08-12-2021, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
There are several hundred listings for rooms for rent for less than $650 in the Raleigh area. Many listings between 450-550. Last time I rented a room here in the Triangle was in West Raleigh in an apartment and it was $450 all utilities included. My Durham and Carrboro rooms were also $450. Though that was 2014-2016.

Even in Columbia, all the numbers with rents listed $450 were scams and looked too nice. Not saying you can't find it but when they're in ads with the pictures looking so so nice, those ads are fake. 450 seems to be the key number though where most are not real.

If you have them though, show me if yours are for real and not a scam. I am talking just with the number $450 now since that pops up and thats what I think of. That would be awesome if you really did find something that low that was any good.

I am looking 500-600 to be on the safe side. I don't think a lot costs 450 and anything that did , most of the ads were scams. $480, something might be more real as its toward 500.

Some things don't change much. I mean in St Pete FL some listings still go for around $500 like they did in 2015-16 despite the city getting more expensive.

I have found if anything the "cheaper" cities have been more expensive for me. Columbia SC has been much more expensive than the stats on paper indicate. In fact I wouldn't be shocked if its really up there with Charleston or Miami for how much you're going to spend long term being in a place like that. And on hotels if nothing else.

Old 08-12-2021, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Gay man here, grew up in the Triangle. PM me if you need more Community details, but it's quite open.

30 years ago, Raleigh and Columbia were very similar in most ways, but Raleigh has become much more progressive much faster, not to mention that we have Durham and Chapel Hill here that are the most liberal parts of the state. LOTS of ***** groups here, LGBT Centers in both Raleigh & Durham which has trans* programs, and 3 big universities here all with LGBT Centers for resources.

The culture would be just fine; not sure about the budget though because prices are skyrocketing as we be once again become a "highly desirable place" for people far and wide to hop in the car and move here because they read an article about the benefits of the area.

I don't recall seeing anything about what industry you'd be working in, but probably Durham or Carrboro are better places to check first than Raleigh or Chapel Hill (which are more expensive). The Ninth Street area of Durham seems to be the central area for quote-unquote "Bohemians" and Carrboro in general is known for that.

Durham seems the most far left. That wouldn't be in my interests for that reason. I don't need far left xenophobia either so Raleigh more than likely is the pick. I am more a moderate, I don't wanna be around the nuts, left or right. They also now have mask mandates which are unconstitutional. So no Durham isn't the place I want to go. Raleigh looks to be tops, Greensboro maybe but might be regressed a bit like Columbia is too.. some do suggest.

And thats all it is about Durham "quote unquote" acceptance. All rah rah about it but not really helping their cause. a lot like Portland.

Raleigh and Columbia is where the argument should be, No Durham. Durham has too many hipsters. Where are the normal progressive people? Just plain old social tolerance is all. I don't need the rah rah in your face BLM kinda crap.

Columbia I could easily see being an amazing place but the progress just didn't follow and voting Democrat awhile still hasn't fixed its progress. People need to go 3rd party for the best results or just be more socially and politically moderate like it once was. Theres no other way.

Something happened though where Raleigh changed for the right reasons, but Columbia didn't, with so many similarities they could have. Columbia ended up much higher in crime, at least on paper.

As an LGBTQ person who should qualify as well, in the strongholds I haven't fit in too well. Thats why I don't need to be in the severe strongholds, I just need more progressive than Columbia. More tolerance than that, but it doesn't mean I need to go to the most so called progressive place where they think mask mandates is the only way to get out of this crap when it isn't. I will not put up with any place where every business forces me to mask up or no service. I am not going through that again I don't care how bad they say the conditions are. People are now getting this new variant with the vaccines. I mean enough is enough.

Moderate is the ONLY way, not far left, and not far right and I refuse to go to places that host either extreme in high amounts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary