Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2021, 09:39 AM

3,398 posts, read 7,798,011 times

Advertisements

Here’s my anecdotal experience…I’ve lived in the Triangle since the 80s. I’ve found 5 ticks on me in that time, despite spending a lot of times outdoors. 2 at Umstead, 2 at Harris Lake (specifically the disc gold course), and one at the RTP trails (MTB trails near Cisco, i picked up the tick when I stopped at the edge where there are tall grasses). I’ve spent enormous numbers of hours in Umstead, and only been to the other locations a handful of times each. I learned early on to check myself and family for ticks after visiting places like these, plus being proactive by using DEET. After the second tick experience at Harris, I quit using the disc golf course there. I have never picked up a tick on my own property (we currently have a very wooded half acre). Mosquitoes are a much bigger concern, imo.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2021, 10:08 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,424,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macalan View Post
I live in a burb of Charleston, SC and my niece lives in Columbia, SC. We also have friends in Chapel Hill, NC that we visit frequently.
With SC you will have the added issue of hurricanes, although living in Columbia not to the extent that the Charleston area does.
All of this is pretty accurate, but NC gets more hurricanes than SC. Quite a few more. We are 4th in hurricanes after Florida, Louisiana and Texas. And it's a pretty big jump between SC and NC. Less of a jump between NC and LA although LA gets bigger ones usually as the Gulf is warmer.

Yes, ticks and snakes and bugs are here. You learn what to do to avoid them. I haven't gotten a tick bite recently, but would never be surprised to see one. If you have a dog make sure to keep them on heartworm preventative year round and check for ticks. There are quite a few tick diseases in the area. I know folks who have had Lyme, Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, the red meat allergy, also there is Ehrlichiosis and STARI. But you are still more likely to get killed in a car accident or be a victim of gun violence than get sick from a tick. More info on diseases tick bites can cause here: https://epi.dph.ncdhhs.gov/cd/diseases/ticks.html

I hope they caught your Lyme early and were able to knock it out with the Doxycycline. It's no fun.

Last edited by poppydog; 10-01-2021 at 10:18 AM..

Old 10-01-2021, 11:25 AM

1,312 posts, read 2,953,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leb505 View Post
We are considering moving from Chicago to either North Carolina (Triangle area) or South Carolina (Columbia area). We are planning to buy a home with at least half an acre of land. We love to garden and plan to spend lots of time in the yard.
So, past July we visited the Triangle area and I got Lyme disease (it was from Umstead State Park). I know the CDC consider North Carolina as a Low incidence state with only 92 confirmed cases and 242 probable in 2019 but I believe the numbers are much higher.
I am little concerned because we have 2 young kids, no pets.

Is disease carrying ticks very common in wake county? Or I was stupid careless tourist?
Is disease carrying ticks only in heavy wooded areas?
Do I have to worry about disease carrying ticks if I live in subdivision or cleared lot?
Okay, so I put up a fence, do four foot of gravel around the boundaries of my yard and spray the rest for ticks and bugs every six weeks. Would that guarantee No tick bites?

I am sure my concern to some of you might sound stupid but please understand, where I come from (Chicago), we don’t worry about snakes, ticks and bugs and I would like to know the price I have to pay for better weather and beautiful greenery.
Unless you lived in an asphalt jungle, you do indeed have ticks, snakes and bugs in Chicago (I'm a former Chicagoan). Except, your snakes aren't venomous. A fence wont keep snakes, ticks, bugs out. Mow your yard, keep debris piles to a minimum and make sure your pets wear a flea/tick collar.

Old 10-01-2021, 12:48 PM

14 posts, read 21,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macalan View Post
I live in a burb of Charleston, SC and my niece lives in Columbia, SC. We also have friends in Chapel Hill, NC that we visit frequently.

We moved from MA to SC and I LOVED to garden. I find it relaxing and enjoyable. That said I no longer garden in SC due to the Copperhead (venomous) snakes. Before you think that fear is unfounded, there are LOTS of Copperheads in suburban areas in SC. I used to think I would only see one if I was walking in the woods or tall grass. Unfortunately, that is not the case.

They have been on paved trails, on the sidewalk in front of our house (where they bit my pet sitter's puppy), in the grass on lawns, wound around stairway railings, and in the trees. A neighbor of ours was turning off his irrigation system one night and got bit by a Copperhead in the bushes (they love to hide out in gardens under the bushes). Another neighbor was bit running out to retrieve something from his car that was parked in the driveway. The neighbor across from us went to load a baby stroller in her car, and found a Copperhead inside of it.

Life is a series of compromises. Best of luck!
thank you for the input. How about ticks in SC?

Old 10-01-2021, 01:00 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,978,441 times
Quote:
How about ticks in SC?
Yes

I lived in NC 70 years. I spent a lot of time in the woods and fields the first 30 years of my life. I never got Lyme’s and I never had a tick imbedded under my skin.

Old 10-01-2021, 01:17 PM

289 posts, read 258,160 times
Quote:
We are considering moving from Chicago to either North Carolina (Triangle area) or South Carolina (Columbia area). We are planning to buy a home with at least half an acre of land. We love to garden and plan to spend lots of time in the yard.
So, past July we visited the Triangle area and I got Lyme disease (it was from Umstead State Park). I know the CDC consider North Carolina as a Low incidence state with only 92 confirmed cases and 242 probable in 2019 but I believe the numbers are much higher.
I am little concerned because we have 2 young kids, no pets.

Is disease carrying ticks very common in wake county? Or I was stupid careless tourist?
Is disease carrying ticks only in heavy wooded areas?
Do I have to worry about disease carrying ticks if I live in subdivision or cleared lot?
Okay, so I put up a fence, do four foot of gravel around the boundaries of my yard and spray the rest for ticks and bugs every six weeks. Would that guarantee No tick bites?

I am sure my concern to some of you might sound stupid but please understand, where I come from (Chicago), we don’t worry about snakes, ticks and bugs and I would like to know the price I have to pay for better weather and beautiful greenery.
I have fantastic news for you!! Illinois has 3 - 10 times greater reported cases of Lyme disease than North Carolina. So hurry up and get over here so you can reduce your family's chances of also getting the bacteria!!

Source: https://www.cdc.gov/lyme/stats/tables.html

Also, yes, we have nasty snakes and bugs in NC, but so do you guys! You guys have:

Mosquitos (evil bastards)
Bees (love'm but watch out!)
Hornets
Wasps
Harvester ants (Scary bites!)
Browntail moths (you think poison ivy is bad? Ha!!!)
Brown recluse spiders
Black widow spiders
Copperheads
Cottonmouths
Timber Rattlesnakes
Massasauga Rattlesnakes

We might have some of those nasties, too, but we don't have Browntail moths and massasauga rattlers.

To make matters worse, rabies is also a bigger problem in your current state!

Plus, you run the chance of becoming a human popsicle while retrieving your mail during the winter!

Please, get your family over here as quickly as possible for their safety!

Last edited by carlito2002wgn; 10-01-2021 at 01:33 PM..

Old 10-01-2021, 01:33 PM

429 posts, read 227,852 times
Have fire ants made it to Chicago yet? They are very common in NC and SC. I hate those MFers.

Old 10-01-2021, 03:39 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,040,772 times
Quote:
thank you for the input. How about ticks in SC?
We have not had a problem where we are, and we had a dog for the last 6 years. We do have deer that frequent our yard (and the whole subdivision) so surprised it hasn't been a problem.

Old 10-01-2021, 03:59 PM

478 posts, read 709,818 times
Anecdotally I saw a case of lyme disease here this summer from somebody who got it out of state. It's the first case of Lyme I've seen in this area, and the patient remarked that the ED doctors and other providers remarked how rare it is to see Lyme in this area.

Old 10-01-2021, 04:29 PM

1,324 posts, read 1,270,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppyHeel View Post
Have fire ants made it to Chicago yet? They are very common in NC and SC. I hate those MFers.
How could I forget the horrible fire ant. I've had way more bad encounters with them than just about any animal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary