Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 10:35 PM

3 posts, read 9,256 times

Advertisements

Does anyone else have feedback on Pinewoods? We have a 4 year old son and are moving to Hillsborough this summer. Unfortunately, we won't be down to North Carolina anytime soon to check out the school first-hand, and would love any comments. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2007, 01:07 PM

823 posts, read 3,922,255 times
If I were moving to Hillsborough, I would consider Pinewoods, although we didn't check out the primary classrooms. The director is Christine Lowry and their phone number is 919-644-2090.

Old 04-03-2007, 02:20 PM

1 posts, read 4,948 times
Default Other Montessori Schools in the Hillsborough, NC area

Quote:
Originally Posted by alice_61 View Post
My husband (a former Montessori teacher) and I were very impressed with Montessori Community School and Montessori Children's House, both in Durham. They had very good facilities, very good caring, teachers and administrators. I was very impressed at how independently engaged the elementary students were in their individual work.

We also visited Montessori Day School in Chapel Hill. It has a bit shorter day and a shorter calandar than the other schools. It seemed a bit crowded there, but the teacher seem quite competant and the students seemded to work well.

Pinewoods Montessori School in Hillsborough doesn't have a website. It has the lowest tuition of the schools that we looked at. The facilities seemed nice and the teacher was experienced. Again, the day is a bit shorter than the other schools.

Alice
Montessori Children's House of Durham and Montessori Day are indeed both quite good. My children are going to a new school next year, the Montessori farm school, also in Hillsborough. We have had a long relationship with the directoress and know several of the new teachers, so I can feel very comfortable recommending it even though it's a start-up:

www.montessorifarmschool.com

-Boyce

Old 05-02-2007, 09:12 AM
wml

1 posts, read 4,844 times
Default Here's some VERY important information

Alice, and any others considering Montessori Community School in Durham, I STRONLGY suggest that you do extensive research specifically on this topic:

http://alacarte.lexisnexis.com/partn...ge+chapel+hill

You will need to cut and paste the portion of the above link excluding the [url] to access the article overview; sorry I don't know how to put a link into these posts.

Last edited by wml; 05-02-2007 at 09:17 AM.. Reason: incorrect url

Old 05-02-2007, 09:51 AM

191 posts, read 236,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marymel View Post
Does anyone know about any private schools that are not so... financially selective?
I feel your pain but isn't "financially selective" part of the point in sending a kid to private school?

Last edited by Nacht; 05-02-2007 at 10:41 AM..

Old 05-02-2007, 10:40 AM

wml,

I had read about the case against Eric Grange but have not seen any more about it since his arrest last September. Do you know of anything else in the case? I don't think the case is an incrimination against Montessori Community School. They had hired a teached with a doctorate in biology, who was fluent in a foreign language, and who had taught at two other Montessori schools in the area. I think they acted reasonably hiring him. I don't know how they handled the allegations, though. They should probably have a policy prohibiting students from sitting on teachers' laps, although it is something kids like to do. FWIW, my husband was a Montessori teacher and my daughter's (very good) Montessori teacher for the past two years is a man.

Old 05-02-2007, 10:43 AM

"I feel your pain but "financially selective" is part of the point in sending a kid to private school."

I disagree. I choose a private school for my child for its superior teaching and philosophy (Montessori, primarily), not for its financial exclusivity. I wish all kids could go to a school of that caliber.

Old 05-02-2007, 12:25 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,666,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alice_61 View Post
"I feel your pain but "financially selective" is part of the point in sending a kid to private school."

I disagree. I choose a private school for my child for its superior teaching and philosophy (Montessori, primarily), not for its financial exclusivity. I wish all kids could go to a school of that caliber.
Montessori schools are not for everyone.

If I had all the money in the world I wouldn't send my daughter to one because it wouldn't work for her learning style, her personality, our family's communication style (Montessori is best when followed through in the home) and I just don't agree with all of Maria Montessori's conclusions.

It's a great program for many children....one of my daughter's friends thrived in one and I don't think he would have in any other style of school or education......but it's not superior for all kids.

Old 05-02-2007, 06:07 PM

238 posts, read 227,862 times
What would the commute be like to the Montessori Farm school in Hillsborough from Cary? Is there an affordable suburb between the two?

Thanks!

Old 05-16-2007, 10:18 AM

1 posts, read 4,740 times
I would think the commute between Hillsborough and Cary would be at least an hour. I can't think of an affordable suburb between the two, but there is a Montessori school in Cary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary