Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 03:50 PM

492 posts, read 2,108,381 times

Advertisements

I'm probably looking buying used car this summer.

I will of course keep my eye on craigslist and autotrader.com, but I also want to check used car lots on a regular basis.

I've had bad experiences with CarMax, so I will avoid them.

I'm looking for 2002-2005, so that's too old for the new car (= expensive) car places to carry.

Can anyone suggest good, honest used car dealers in the Triangle who carry decent quality minivans/suvs that are middle-aged (the cars, not the dealers!)

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2008, 04:40 PM

862 posts, read 3,549,918 times
You can also use AutoFerret.com to help you with your search.

Old 05-19-2008, 06:09 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,167,824 times
Consider a new car with few options.

You can many times wind up with a factory warranty and a sure history. Sales are slow and rebate money's being done by mfrs and dealers.

I got $1,500 off a new 2008 Corolla + $500 more from the dealer.

Leave out the options and a new 2008 may be close to a loaded 2005.

Old 05-19-2008, 10:48 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,781,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_newcomer View Post
I was going to throw out CarMax due to their variety, but can you account for your experience. I'd like to know what to avoid there in the event the same experience could happen to me.

We're looking for cars now, too. Though our first choices have been put on the back burner for other cars with better gas mileage, we're thinking about going new if we can't find a credible private party seller. Right now, we do visit the new dealers and we're dealing. Keep tabs on the Sunday papers and commercials for incentives including websites. Have you also check cars.com. They seem to have private and dealer sellers there. If anything, they might serve as a nice pricing reference. Also, visit Edmunds to get values on the type of car you're looking for.

Good luck!

Old 05-20-2008, 06:21 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,167,824 times
Carmax is very high priced but does a good cosmetic refurbishment.

Old 05-20-2008, 07:11 AM

2,270 posts, read 9,149,679 times
Several people in my family have used AutoFinders in Durham, though I haven't tried them myself.

Old 05-20-2008, 02:31 PM

281 posts, read 1,108,396 times
Quote:

I will of course keep my eye on craigslist and autotrader.com, but I also want to check used car lots on a regular basis.

I'm looking for 2002-2005, so that's too old for the new car (= expensive) car places to carry.

Can anyone suggest good, honest used car dealers in the Triangle who carry decent quality minivans/suvs that are middle-aged (the cars, not the dealers!)

Thanks.
I got my accord from auction direct on glenwood. basically they advertise for auction price plus $400. They will try and sell you on warranties but don't bite...that's where they make their money....short of it is I got a 2006 accord for $16K when everywhere else it was 19Kplus

Old 05-20-2008, 04:21 PM

1,219 posts, read 3,294,631 times
We had a terrible experience with Carmax too. Their checklist that they advertise is not something to count on. We did buy 2 cars from the Hertz resale over the last 10 years and they're still going strong! Unfortunately it closed last year, but glad to hear some feedback on action direct which took over their spot/building.

Old 05-20-2008, 04:23 PM

770 posts, read 2,754,416 times
Quote:

Thanks.
This guy is good to deal with and stands by his cars
WalkTheLot.com | Search Triangle Auto Sales Vehicle Inventory

Old 05-20-2008, 04:57 PM

492 posts, read 2,108,381 times
Thanks for the feedback on AuctionDirect and on Triangle Auto Sales.

My experience with CarMax -- not here -- had to do with inspections. I always want to have a used car inspected by an independent mechanic. They wouldn't let me do that --said I could buy the car and have it inspected, and return it within 5 days if I didn't want it, BUT I would be responsible for any "damage" incurred during those 5 days. They would determine if it was exactly the same as when I bought it (yeah, right). Or I could "resell" it to them at a price they set.

Sounded to me, and a friend later confirmed, that they make returning a car a nightmare.

If the seller won't let me take it to an independent mechanic, then no sale. Period.

Last edited by NC_newcomer; 05-20-2008 at 05:06 PM.. Reason: because "thh" only appears in Welsh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary