Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2022, 05:08 PM

3,732 posts, read 2,074,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Observer View Post
It would be nice if schools actually focused on important things like reading, math and science. Yes, CRT does in fact blame white people and that's painful for many to hear. It's the truth. However, that's not going to change any opinions, and it has nothing to do with educating our kids in reading , math and science. Leave the PC feel good stuff outside of the classroom.
So no geography, history, social studies, civics, economics (I’m just listing out the “soft sciences” classes I took in MS/HS…no idea what is offered locally)

When does reading end? Since realistically you are done “learning to read” fairly early in your academic career (I am admittedly taking your post quite literally in that subjects are only taught to learn the skill they are teaching). I would venture to guess books like The Things They Carried, Tess of the Dubervilles, Shakespeare, Fahrenheit 451, Flowers for Algernon, Island of the Blue Dolphin, Heart of Darkness, Lord of the Flies, Go Ask Alice, To Kill a Mockingbird, The Great Gatsby, Slaughterhouse Five etc etc etc etc etc wouldn’t be included in “reading” as you have defined it above?

(Please note I ask this question in good faith.

Old 01-31-2022, 06:37 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,357,066 times
Quote:
It would be nice if schools actually focused on important things like reading, math and science. Yes, CRT does in fact blame white people and that's painful for many to hear. It's the truth. However, that's not going to change any opinions, and it has nothing to do with educating our kids in reading , math and science. Leave the PC feel good stuff outside of the classroom.
I think history is VERY important even the upsetting and shameful parts are important and they need to be taught. BTW CRT is not taught in k-12.

Old 01-31-2022, 07:20 PM

405 posts, read 322,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
So no geography, history, social studies, civics, economics (I’m just listing out the “soft sciences” classes I took in MS/HS…no idea what is offered locally)

When does reading end? Since realistically you are done “learning to read” fairly early in your academic career (I am admittedly taking your post quite literally in that subjects are only taught to learn the skill they are teaching). I would venture to guess books like The Things They Carried, Tess of the Dubervilles, Shakespeare, Fahrenheit 451, Flowers for Algernon, Island of the Blue Dolphin, Heart of Darkness, Lord of the Flies, Go Ask Alice, To Kill a Mockingbird, The Great Gatsby, Slaughterhouse Five etc etc etc etc etc wouldn’t be included in “reading” as you have defined it above?

(Please note I ask this question in good faith.
My brief listing of “important things” was certainly not meant to exclude other items such as history, civics etc. but it’s clear that our K-12 schools are not adequately preparing the majority of students for the rigors of college (or any post HS endeavor) particularly in the STEM fields of study. In my freshman year of college, a classmate in my Calculus class was from Iran, and he told me that he learned that same material in junior high school (or whatever they called it in Iran).

This is a function of creating a “one size fits all” method of instruction, and why many students fall through the cracks. Charter and Magnet schools address some of this but not all.

My kids are in college now, so I no longer have a dog in this fight.

Old 01-31-2022, 08:10 PM

Quote:
My brief listing of “important things” was certainly not meant to exclude other items such as history, civics etc. but it’s clear that our K-12 schools are not adequately preparing the majority of students for the rigors of college (or any post HS endeavor) particularly in the STEM fields of study. In my freshman year of college, a classmate in my Calculus class was from Iran, and he told me that he learned that same material in junior high school (or whatever they called it in Iran).

This is a function of creating a “one size fits all” method of instruction, and why many students fall through the cracks. Charter and Magnet schools address some of this but not all.

My kids are in college now, so I no longer have a dog in this fight.
Fair, and I agree. As someone in a STEM field I agree doubly. Not that I will guide my kids towards an area of study, but either STEM or a trade is where I hope they will trend toward.

I also agree with the experience you shared about your Calculus friend from Iran. Granted I went to a Private HS, but it was also overseas. My First 3 years of college we mostly repeats of HS. I had classes where I'd show up for the syllabus and test dates and never return until needed.

Old 01-31-2022, 10:33 PM

285 posts, read 190,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppyHeel View Post
CRT (which isn’t a thing in K-12) doesn’t say that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_M View Post
I think history is VERY important even the upsetting and shameful parts are important and they need to be taught. BTW CRT is not taught in k-12.
In the sense that there's not a syllabus stating "Today: CRT"
It's grad level and college level BS material that's making its way thru high school and younger grades via their teachers, I mean "EDUCATORS." You don't have to identify it directly by "CRT" to see the poisonous ideas being brought in.

And hey, thanks for looking over my shoulder on TV watching habits, but you'll find I don't watch any FoxNews nor any right wing BS. I do my best to watch CNN but its a dumpster fire. White gay dad here who does NOT want Trump for President. I don't fit in your box. But I will call out your bullying comments.

The left is very out of touch with how fed up parents are with an agenda directed at their kids, and it's costing dems at the ballot box. And I LOVE IT. But hey, keep focusing on how white kids are racist and that Asian kids aren't really "people of color."

Aside: How is this description even remotely acceptable? "People of Color" is the same as "colored people" but with a preposition thrown in and the words reversed. SMH.

https://twitter.com/mattruby/status/...LFz1dWMdQ&s=19

Last edited by n24scube; 01-31-2022 at 10:59 PM..

Old 02-01-2022, 08:50 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,264,652 times
Quote:
If we taught full history instead of edited history, we'd all learn about how Europeans came to the Americas and slaughtered native populations through conquering and disease, kidnapped Africans to enslave them, and made life miserable for generations under Jim Crow. We'd learn how waves of immigrants were sometimes worked to death for low wages to create immense wealth for the few during the Gilded Age of the late 19th Century. We'd learn that Jews, Italians, Greeks, Eastern Europeans, etc. weren't considered to be white, and how some of us descendants of those immigrants lost our cultures in order to "fit in" to our adopted homeland. We'd learn about prejudice against non-Protestant Christians, Jews, and other religious minorities. We'd learn about how African Americans were used in the 20th Century as a control group for studying Syphilis and were left to suffer with the disease when they thought that they were receiving medical care, but were lied to. We don't learn those things to any great extent, at least I didn't in school. Instead, I learned about the first Thanksgiving, the economic boom of the industrial revolution, the great advances in medicine and our greatness in general. We did learn the "feel good" stuff, but we didn't learn the entire truth.

IMO, if we can't own our history, we will never learn from it.

Old 02-01-2022, 09:22 AM

22,747 posts, read 37,008,169 times
Anyone who is paying attention has seen the slides that WCPSS has been encouraged to have their teachers use as it relates to CRT. A lot of y'all asleep at the switch because you only want to get info from the "side" you agree with. Pay attention to ALL of it, from the far left and right nutjobs all the way to center. Some of what they are spouting is fact, like it or not.

Old 02-01-2022, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Anyone who is paying attention has seen the slides that WCPSS has been encouraged to have their teachers use as it relates to CRT. A lot of y'all asleep at the switch because you only want to get info from the "side" you agree with. Pay attention to ALL of it, from the far left and right nutjobs all the way to center. Some of what they are spouting is fact, like it or not.
WCPSS is passing around slides for actual CRT (i.e. the college level theorem that deals with basically Race at the center of Criminal Justice in this country) and not merely class materials that touch on race in this country's history, which are the not the same thing (in a All Catholics are Christian, but not all Christians are Catholic, Venn Diagram analogy)?

I mean I know Chris Rufo wants "everything uncomfortable to be assumed to be CRT"....but it isn't.

ETA - this is a sincere question. My kids are way younger than yours and I assume to see more into the day to day than I do.

Last edited by GVoR; 02-01-2022 at 09:44 AM..

Old 02-01-2022, 10:03 AM

22,747 posts, read 37,008,169 times
So my sincere question is - why are they passing around the slides?

You do know you're at the mercy of the principal of your building, right? The reason Green Hope High School was ground zero for the MVP debacle is because Karen Summers basically threatened every math teacher that if an admin walked in and saw them teaching it any other way than exactly as prescribed she would ding them...while every other school was doing it in a way that worked. Then she left and took her admin team (including her AP in charge of math [but as he told me he's "not a math guy" so maybe not such a loss]) with her to her new school? I'm sure you've seen pics of kids eating facing the wall, sitting outside six feet apart unable to talk to anyone. Best you take a good long look at who is running your building and how ambitious they, how strong they are and how much they are willing to push back on the BOE. That is going to shape your school experience as much as anything.

I'm not a fan of the current GH principal for a lot of reasons but she's been reasonable about the whole COVID thing and I can tell you for sure that is not happening everywhere but she has no effs to give at this point. She's not worried about impressing anyone and has no problem telling people to pound sand and that probably includes her bosses (and probably smart enough not to tell them to pound sand but just gonna do what she wants).

Old 02-01-2022, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
So my sincere question is - why are they passing around the slides?

You do know you're at the mercy of the principal of your building, right? The reason Green Hope High School was ground zero for the MVP debacle is because Karen Summers basically threatened every math teacher that if an admin walked in and saw them teaching it any other way than exactly as prescribed she would ding them...while every other school was doing it in a way that worked. Then she left and took her admin team (including her AP in charge of math [but as he told me he's "not a math guy" so maybe not such a loss]) with her to her new school? I'm sure you've seen pics of kids eating facing the wall, sitting outside six feet apart unable to talk to anyone. Best you take a good long look at who is running your building and how ambitious they, how strong they are and how much they are willing to push back on the BOE. That is going to shape your school experience as much as anything.

I'm not a fan of the current GH principal for a lot of reasons but she's been reasonable about the whole COVID thing and I can tell you for sure that is not happening everywhere but she has no effs to give at this point. She's not worried about impressing anyone and has no problem telling people to pound sand and that probably includes her bosses (and probably smart enough not to tell them to pound sand but just gonna do what she wants).
No I understand all of that (and have lived the little kid version with our Principal already)….

I was just sincerely asking if it’s really “CRT slides” in the sense of the actual thing or if it’s “here we’re going to talk about race and America in tenth grade History from the context of the Civil War (or whichever event)” which isn’t CRT.

If it’s the former, I’d agree with your question. If it’s the latter, you’ve lost me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary