Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2008, 12:54 AM

241 posts, read 935,128 times

Advertisements

I've searched the City-Data boards, googled "thrift", "antiques" & "Consignment", visited the Raleigh Flea Market, combed Craigslist and been to several Goodwill and "thrift" stores in the area.

I still can't find that gem of a store that has a good selection of not-so-pristine antiques at good prices. In the past, I would buy furniture that needed some love, sand and paint... not what antique collectors would do, but I enjoy the look.

The Raleigh Thrift was okay on the weekend that I went, but it lacked the denseness (that packed to the gills feel) that I was hoping for.

We went to 3 different "antique" stores and they had a wide selection of figurines, velvet paintings and old books... but not a lot of furniture.

I went to Ben's Bargain Barn (is that right?) and found it to be charming, but for what you got, the prices were a tad on the high side. But, it's really close to what I've been searching for

I almost gave up and went to an unfinished furniture store today, but unfortunately they were out of business (huge "for lease" sign in the window) and then today's storm started up so I scurried home

I've been told that I need to explore the less populated areas and find antique stores off the beaten path. Has anyone out there had luck with this? I may also drive out to Ohio in August for the "World's Largest Yard Sale", but that doesn't help when I need only a few pieces of furniture and I'd like them now (I lack patience)

Oh, and High Point... I will venture out there soon, but it seems that it's all about the new furniture warehouses there. I realize that the pieces are all marked down, but even the sale price... ummm.... eeeek. In a perfect world, we'd purchase everything brand new, but this darn budget... although the sample sale/floor model sale sounds tempting.

And we bought our couches new... at retail. Dang it. Couldn't wait But, they are awesome.

I do have to mention, Revival Antiques in Raleigh is AWESOME. They are really close to what I'm looking and would recommend them to anyone who is looking for Shabby Chic, Farmhouse and restored, but painted, antiques. We ended up ordering a few pieces from them, which I'm thrilled with, but again... that darn budget (and I just really want to use my new sander!).

Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2008, 08:59 AM

1,495 posts, read 3,721,903 times
you might try the weekend flea market at the NC fairgrounds - I see plenty of furniture there that might meet your needs.

Old 05-21-2008, 09:18 AM

3,155 posts, read 10,758,996 times
Petunia, I'm going to have to check out some of those places you mentioned in Raleigh. At the NC Fairgrounds Fleamarket there is a vendor inside that sells shabby chic furniture and it's already painted. I really like her stuff, but I can't remember the name. For finds that I want to paint I frequent Classic Treasures in Durham (google them they have a website). They have some really nice antiques featured on the website. But they also have some things that require a little more love (and paint ) to bring out the beauty. The guy the own the place is super nice too. My sister says that the Habitat for Humanity shops are another good place to check. She's found some great stuff there, but all I ever find is press board when I go. I must have bad timing.

Let us know if you find that treasure trove ... I'll share if I find one too.

BTW, HGTV is looking for shoppers at the World's Longest Yardsale (google highway 127 yard sale). But I think they will be in Kentucky & Alambama, not Ohio. One day I plan to make the pilgrimage to the mecca of all junk sales, but I need to get a pick up truck first. If you go let us know how it was.

Old 05-21-2008, 11:13 AM

2,270 posts, read 9,150,426 times
You should check out Hoy Auction. Hoy Auction Co . They sell a lot of what you are interested in, as well as good antiques. After a little time there you can tell who are the dealers, and just not bid against them . Depending on the piece, the prices can be very good. Plus it is a fun time.

I believe there is also an auction house in Mebane, but I haven't had a chance to check that one out yet. Mebane Antique Auction Gallery - Auction Every Friday Night

You might also want to check out the antique shops in downtown Pittsboro. There are a fair number of options there.

Old 05-21-2008, 12:28 PM

15 posts, read 62,425 times
Have you tried Shelton's on Morgan Street, block off of Glenwood Ave near downtown Raleigh?

Old 05-21-2008, 04:19 PM

414 posts, read 1,257,703 times
Hickory, NC has a lot of furniture places. Have you shopped estate sales? You can locate some good deals there. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary