Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2009, 09:51 PM

1 posts, read 1,465 times

Advertisements

We are looking for good schools....
I am interested in Apex, Cary or Raleigh....
I have one going into K, Grade 1 and Grade 9... need good elem and high schools..
Looking for great neighborhoods....

We are moving from Connecticut.

I am getting concerned about overcrowded schools and gangs....

Looking to rent for a year until we are settled... any ideas - looking at houses up to $300,000...

Any ideas of neighborhoods or areas!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2009, 10:00 PM

3 posts, read 7,521 times
Smile just moved here from Maine

I just moved down here with my son- he starts K in July at the new school of Herbert Akins in Fuquay-Varina. We love it here...nice homey town feeling with the access to the city when we need it. we've been here for a month and are renting right now. Lots of new developments that we like here and we've looked into Cary but found it was a little to crowded and expensive.

Old 05-22-2009, 08:14 PM

124 posts, read 292,990 times
I just moved from Long Island and picked Apex mostly for Apex High School. My oldest was going into 9th grade when we moved here and it is a great school. Panther Creek was another contender but am very glad we chose Apex. Hope that helps.

Old 05-22-2009, 08:23 PM

15 posts, read 37,468 times
Please consider Durham, too. It's a great, affordable family community.

Old 05-24-2009, 09:30 AM

95 posts, read 259,809 times
One thing you need to be aware of is that the area is struggling to keep up with the growth in population. Two ways this affects education, which out-of-state families may not be aware of, is frequent redistricting and the large number of 'year-round' schools.

As you look at schools and areas, make certain you ask about these two items. Some people love year-round, some people hate it (though a large number who thought they would hate it have changed their mind once their schools converted).

Hope this helps. Good luck with the move!

ps When we moved we rented for a year to get an idea about traffic patterns, schools, neighborhoods, etc. I'm really glad we did.

Old 05-24-2009, 10:33 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,076,177 times
I know you did not list Holly Springs as one of your preferred towns but consider Sunset Ridge. There are a few homes listed that fall in a traditional calendar school and the 3yr plan shows no redistricting. We've been here for the last 3 1/2yrs and have been at the same school and love it!

Two of the homes listed around $305K are both on cul-de-sac streets. Very family friendly neighborhood with tons of kids on those streets in the age range of your own children. The one for $309K Flatrock is a hop, skip and jump from Holly Ridge elementary and middle school.

Great amenities (you do have to join the pool but then get access to all 3 pools plus the tennis club).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary