Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2022, 04:05 PM

7,321 posts, read 6,928,039 times

Advertisements

Where I live they provide sidewalks and separate bike lanes along regular traffic.
I ride the bike lanes on my ebike. Home built I can much faster than most ebikes and if I come up on others using the lane, I check my mirrors and move into the empty traffic lane and pass.
I try to be careful with these issues , no one wants an accident.
Though more people are getting into ebikes for commuting to work I don’t see any problem yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2022, 05:09 PM

492 posts, read 1,152,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
A disaster waiting to happen. Not only crashes, but anger. And destroying the surface of the “walkways” themselves.
Destroying what? It’s a bike. I ride an ebike and analog bikers in spandex ride faster and more precariously than anyone I know on ebikes. And guess what? We’ve been riding ebikes on all the greenways for 5 yrs. No accidents or environmental damage yet.

Old 05-21-2022, 07:08 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,768,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
In general I agree that people should look out and pay attention. But I'm not sure it's reasonable to think that people *won't* be listening to music or won't be on a phone call. I have to wonder if any bike riders listen to music.
Then just be on the far right side moving in a predictable manner so others can act accordingly.

Old 05-21-2022, 04:41 PM

9,361 posts, read 14,111,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalicoskiesNC View Post
Destroying what? It’s a bike. I ride an ebike and analog bikers in spandex ride faster and more precariously than anyone I know on ebikes. And guess what? We’ve been riding ebikes on all the greenways for 5 yrs. No accidents or environmental damage yet.
Concern is just for the compression of soil by the weight of the bikes, particularly if ruts are generated and rainwater washes through them. Speed and higher surface area of tires all have slight effects but they add up. That’s why high use paths and freeways are asphalted. Now that Wake county is attracting even More residents we will probably need to watch over and maintain our parks and greenways even more.

Old 05-21-2022, 05:07 PM

1,292 posts, read 1,599,213 times
My e-bike is a large cruiser type and I have no issue lifting it 3 feet onto the car carrier. They aren’t heavy and don’t cause damage.

Old 05-21-2022, 06:02 PM

18,103 posts, read 15,676,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post

I'm pretty sure e-bikes have been allowed on the greeways for a while, but only pedal assist
They don't damage paved trails anymore than bikes or hikers, not nearly as bad as horses on ATT

Many people imagine ebikes are like mopeds, or act just like one. Not even close.

Those who have medical issues, knee replacements, hip replacements, heart issues can finally enjoy cycling without hurting themselves, unless they fall off their bike. The bike makes it easier to stay within a target level of exertion. The average ebike rider is >40 yrs old.

There's nothing about a Pedelec class ebike that makes it anything more than a regular bike with some assistance (like if someone was walking behind and helping push the rider). The bikes don't ride themselves, they don't pedal themselves, the cyclist has to do the work, with assistance which can be set from zero assist up to a high level of assist. There's no vroom vroom motorbike noise, or any loud noise at all. 2 wheels, rubber tires, handlebars, pedals. It's a bike.

The fear is much ado about nothing.

Quote:
To me, the biggest fear/danger are the users (walk/run/bike/etc) who have headphones on and don't pay attention. These people don't hear the call-outs (on your left), they don't hear the bells, and they don't know what's coming up behind them. Too many close calls with these people.

(Unattended kids are a close second, as are dogs on retractable leashes, which is illegal if it's over 6')

On my bike, I watch out for all of them. Never assume they hear you!
This is true, and that affects ALL bike riders, regardless of what kind or style of bike they have. All riders need to know the rules and follow the rules on Greenways and on roads. Pedestrians on Greenways are often unfamiliar with the rules on multi-use paths.

Old 05-22-2022, 05:18 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,604,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Concern is just for the compression of soil by the weight of the bikes, particularly if ruts are generated and rainwater washes through them. Speed and higher surface area of tires all have slight effects but they add up. That’s why high use paths and freeways are asphalted. Now that Wake county is attracting even More residents we will probably need to watch over and maintain our parks and greenways even more.
I would tend to disagree with your logic. A high end mountain bike (carbon fiber) weighs about 30 lbs. Most of these e-bikes weigh upwards of 60 lbs. But you are ignoring the weight of the rider, which could be anywhere from 100 to 300 lbs. The rider weight has more of a contribution.

I agree that tire contact patch area may be slightly larger for an e-bike, and as you state, have a slight cumulative effect. But this argument only would apply to bikes on dirt paths, not on asphalted greenways, which is what this thread is about. But I do agree that perhaps more maintenance will be necessary as more riders use the trails, no matter what type of bike they are riding.

Old 05-22-2022, 05:24 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,604,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Pedestrians on Greenways are often unfamiliar with the rules on multi-use paths.
This also applies to pedestrians on non-greenway trails that are multi-use. I was at Crabtree on Friday, riding my bicycle on the multi-use trails, when I came upon a pedestrian standing in the middle of the trail, with earbuds in his ears, looking down at his phone to change tracks/playlists. I called out "Coming up behind you" while I was still 30 yards away. No response. "Coming up on your left!". Still no response. "HELLO?!?!". Still no response. So I rode right past him at 10 mph. I'm sure it surprised the hell out of him.

Old 05-23-2022, 10:23 AM

6,825 posts, read 9,061,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
This also applies to pedestrians on non-greenway trails that are multi-use. I was at Crabtree on Friday, riding my bicycle on the multi-use trails, when I came upon a pedestrian standing in the middle of the trail, with earbuds in his ears, looking down at his phone to change tracks/playlists. I called out "Coming up behind you" while I was still 30 yards away. No response. "Coming up on your left!". Still no response. "HELLO?!?!". Still no response. So I rode right past him at 10 mph. I'm sure it surprised the hell out of him.
I guess slowing down wasn't an option?

Old 05-23-2022, 11:15 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,305,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
In general I agree that people should look out and pay attention. But I'm not sure it's reasonable to think that people *won't* be listening to music or won't be on a phone call. I have to wonder if any bike riders listen to music.
Speaking for myself only:

NEVER on headphones. If I want to hear music, I play it over a speaker. It may annoy others, but they can hear me coming, and I can hear others behind me too.

(I will ride remote single track trails with headphones, but that is a completely different situation, and I would not do it on a popular trail.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary