Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2022, 12:02 AM

383 posts, read 664,651 times

Advertisements

Looking at new construction. DH is 72, I am 71. Considering move from Long Island. How is this area. We have friends in Clayton.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2022, 07:13 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,022,494 times
I think someone from Long Island would be more at home in Clayton. Selma is still a Southern small town. Check the income and demographics in the C-D profile: http:////www.city-data.com/city/Selm...-Carolina.html

For example, it was 62% Republican in the 2020 election, and Former President Trump held a rally there before the primary.

OTOH, builders are looking for cheaper land, so new houses are probably more reasonable than in Clayton. Some, like the Eastover development by Caviness and Cates are closer to Clayton. Selma is just the postal mailing address of a large area.

Last edited by goldenage1; 06-21-2022 at 08:27 AM..

Old 06-21-2022, 09:23 AM

3,395 posts, read 7,769,505 times
I think it would be serious culture shock. It’s a small southern town with very rural character, but also has the busy, crime-ridden I-95 corridor right by it. Crime rate is high. Schools are extremely low ranked.

One day it’ll get absorbed into the Triangle’s orbit like Clayton has, but that’s still a ways away, imo

Old 06-21-2022, 10:10 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,775,030 times
I’m from Long Island anc can assure you it would be a huge culture shock. The Triangle proper including Clayton would be more to your liking.

Old 06-23-2022, 11:28 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,022,494 times
I suggest asking the friends in Clayton to look for a possible house in their budget. Evergreen at Flowers Plantation is a good option for a 55+ community. There is also a planned Del Webb called Carolina Overlook, with a good location close to all the amenities in Clayton. It will also include lawn care and Internet in the HOA fees.

Old 06-25-2022, 12:56 AM

2,679 posts, read 2,898,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
I think it would be serious culture shock. It’s a small southern town with very rural character, but also has the busy, crime-ridden I-95 corridor right by it. Crime rate is high. Schools are extremely low ranked.

One day it’ll get absorbed into the Triangle’s orbit like Clayton has, but that’s still a ways away, imo

I agree with everyone. Clayton would be the better move for OP.

However, Dire, I don't see Selma getting "absorbed into the Triangle’s orbit" anytime soon. Generation Alpha will be adults before that happens. Smithfield will get absorbed before Selma for sure.

And I actually like Selma and its many of its people believe it or not... lol Wouldn't live there, however.

Old 06-25-2022, 02:39 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,818,101 times
Yeah, Clayton seems to be the latest "If you live in NY, hop in the car & move there, and invite your whole neighborhood to come with you" that Cary, then Apex used to be.

Selma has lots of REALLY cool antique shops, but I would not recommend living there, especially if you have never lived in a small Southern town.

Old 06-26-2022, 09:15 AM

2,442 posts, read 2,867,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Yeah, Clayton seems to be the latest "If you live in NY, hop in the car & move there, and invite your whole neighborhood to come with you" that Cary, then Apex used to be.

Selma has lots of REALLY cool antique shops, but I would not recommend living there, especially if you have never lived in a small Southern town.
Lol it seems Clayton had been that for a while. Haven’t lived in Raleigh for 8 years and the past few years we were there it felt like I was getting on I-40 east every day to show and sell homes there. It was ( and I guess still is) popular with families looking for more land along with good schools.
I’ve actually never been to a Selma.

Old 06-26-2022, 01:56 PM

2,679 posts, read 2,898,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post

As Beth said, Clayton has been referred to as Cary East for sometime now. The takeover has been occurring there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedBeth View Post
Lol it seems Clayton had been that for a while. Haven’t lived in Raleigh for 8 years and the past few years we were there it felt like I was getting on I-40 east every day to show and sell homes there. It was ( and I guess still is) popular with families looking for more land along with good schools.
I’ve actually never been to a Selma.

Didn't realize you were out of the Triangle now. I recall your screenname from a while ago. How do you like Greenville? That city is surging right now!

Old 06-26-2022, 03:24 PM

2,442 posts, read 2,867,800 times
Yes I've been in Greenville, SC for a while. Tremendous growth here. It has been a great place to practice real estate. Love the mountains nearby. Downtown is cute. However, for several reasons we are moving back; thus the reason I have been perusing this forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary