Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2023, 05:39 AM

340 posts, read 295,324 times

Advertisements

Sounds like Asheville is getting what it voted for. Also Sanford has it's own mating call if you're looking to meet someone. Take a container of pills and give it a shake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2023, 05:58 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by codygreen View Post
The problem is when housing becomes unaffordable or unavailable due to large changes in the market. I mentioned this previously but its very difficult to find affordable rentals in Asheville, and its become a problem throughout our many of our small mountain towns. All of the growth we are seeing here, and all along the I-85 corridor, is putting immense strain on these communities. Affordable rentals have been turned into Airbnb's. All those transplants in the Piedmont need somewhere to go on the weekends after all! The housing stock for locals - the people who work, live, and raise a family - is almost non-existent. Most of what is developed is targeted towards wealthy retirees or mountain rental cabins.
None of this is unique to Asheville though, yet the level of crime seems to be. Why do you think that is?

Old 05-02-2023, 06:03 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Sanford is still improving its downtown. There is a brewery and a craft beer place.
I checked Spotcrime for the downtown area and saw numerous non-violent crimes like theft and vandalism. There were a couple of assaults also. The drug use is probably underreported.
The schools are not great. One of my relatives used the Christian school, and now does homeschooling.
If you are not restricted by a job offer, I suggest looking at Southern Pines. It has more of the "cute coffee shop" vibe.

Old 05-02-2023, 06:54 AM

3,444 posts, read 2,814,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
None of this is unique to Asheville though, yet the level of crime seems to be. Why do you think that is?
I lived west of Asheville and still follow many of the Asheville FB pages. Between what I see there and what I observed, there is a very high homeless population, many to most of whom have mental health and/or drug addiction issues. That drives up the crime levels. What I am seeing most on the FB groups are vehicle break ins and stolen vehicles being the most common crimes (in the west Asheville area at least). I lived near there for 3 years and after the first year, I probably went into Asheville 10 times or so and that was only because that's where doctor's appointments or car repair appointments were. I didn't go downtown for the last 2 years. I was seriously worried I would hit someone who walked out in front of my vehicle. It happened all the time, they'd step out from between 2 cars and not even look. It was just too stressful for me to enjoy. And this is coming from someone who has driven in the Raleigh area, all over, for 40 years.

Old 05-02-2023, 10:14 AM

360 posts, read 223,159 times
Quote:
Its a good question. I have never seen this level of crime and homelessness in Gatlinburg or Pigeon Forge, although Asheville is definitely more of a regional hub than those smaller towns. I know that a lot of drugs come through Asheville. There is a permissive attitude towards drug usage and a serious lack of public safety officers. Not a good combination. I have never personally been to Portland Oregon, but I've heard it likened to there. People come from far and wide to seek this vibe out, and there are lots of places to live in the woods in a tent, van, yurt, etc. They find out once they get there that its expensive and a poverty trap. If you fall victim to drugs you're screwed because there aren't as many resources as there are in this area.

Its dangerous to park your vehicle and go hiking. Lots of break-ins. Growing up I watched WLOS news and it was funny to me because they only reported on fluff, like a kitten being rescued from a tree or some church announcement. A lot has changed since the 90s-2000s. I don't think having a million breweries is helpful for the health of the community, either.

Old 05-02-2023, 10:56 AM

4 posts, read 2,264 times
Quote:
Curious to see if the OP agrees with that statement. Looking at other NC mountain tourist towns (using Boone as an example), I don't see the same levels of crime, but I admittedly don't know a ton about any other those towns other than visiting.

I do know that crime in Asheville has increased considerably over the past few years. It actually has made national news:

https://www.foxnews.com/us/nc-touris...bat-rise-crime

I don't think it is necessarily all college towns, but certainly Asheville. AWFUL!

Old 05-02-2023, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
I answered in the post above, but I am not aware of a huge crime problem in Asheville. Every time I go, it's a great hippy vibe, and the biggest crime I see is someone smoking weed in public. Not a crime IMO. Maybe I'm missing it, but to that point, I feel a LOT safer in the few parts of Asheville that I've seen, compared to almost anywhere in Sanford.

As for places to avoid, I answered that too, but just be SURE to see the place you choose in day and night, and if your budget is enough to get a nicer area, that will take care of a lot of it (sadly).

A good exercise if you want to see what Sanford is all about, just spend a couple hours in their Walmart. Start observing from the Parking lot, to the store, to the cleanliness and management, to the clientelle, and so-forth.

Again, Sanford is growing on me, and I think it will steadily improve (not get worse), but Walmart is a pretty good indicator, and all I can say is "Sanford ain't no Asheville".

You might also look to some of the surrounding rural areas.
Also, just about any part of Sanford is going to be infinitely more conservative than Asheville. Weather that is good or bad probably comes down to personal preference.
Thanks for the insight - You are definitely missing it in Asheville if you feel safe LOL. There are some areas that may give that false sense, but Asheville in general is absolutely disgusting and horrific right now. Police won't respond to anything, drugs and overdoses at a significantly higher rate than most places nationally (which says a lot), and just so not what it used to be.

I like the Wal Mart Idea. I think we need to make a trip to the area.

Old 05-02-2023, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 919 rtp View Post
What put Sanford on your maybe relocate place? Is it a job, family/friends in the area, housing prices, etc?

I've been in the downtown Sanford area and it has a lot of murals and some cute shops. Is that enough of a vibe? I'd look at parks-and-rec programs and availability, library services and things like that for the vibe over a coffee shop.
It is a commutable distance from family and my job at Duke/husband job at Cary. I don't want to commute an hour, but budget wise it is an area that had more options.

Old 05-02-2023, 11:59 AM

27,163 posts, read 43,857,618 times
OP, between the much more obvious choice of Pittsboro, you should also check out Saxapahaw. It is a good bit more rural but with a modern earthy vibe you might like.

https://www.shoppittsboro.com/

https://www.saxapahawnc.com/

Old 05-02-2023, 12:11 PM

3,731 posts, read 2,053,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
OP, between the much more obvious choice of Pittsboro, you should also check out Saxapahaw. It is a good bit more rural but with a modern earthy vibe you might like.

https://www.shoppittsboro.com/

https://www.saxapahawnc.com/
Awesome Concert venue too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary