Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2024, 06:16 PM

8 posts, read 17,217 times

Advertisements

We are Canadians relocating to the triangle, my work location will be near the Brier Creek.
Here in Canada we have a large detached in the suburbs with a hobby workshop; we will be renting for the short term but in future (next year or 2) looking to purchase something similar to what we have right now with a budget of about 600k within commuting distance of Brier Creek 3 days a week

I have a 12 year old and a 6 year old in 7th and 1st grades respectively.

Which areas should we target and potential schooling pathways as my 12 year old wants to get in to the NC State in Comp Sci. He is above average but we want to avoid the highly competitive Apex, Cary etc. schools due to capping plus the intense competition which we feel does not increase his chances of getting to university (happy to be corrected)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2024, 06:55 PM

852 posts, read 586,406 times
There are numerous rental/lease apartments available in BC. Also, numerous individual houses up to 5,000 square feet. If you will work in that area, I'd suggest renting in BC while you look around for something permanent. I can't advise on the school situation.

Old 03-18-2024, 08:27 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
NC State takes kids from all across the state as its a public land grant university. The competition to get in there (and UNC) is fierce, whether you like that or not, because there are so many kids from Wake County who are qualified to get in, and not enough spots for all of them.

Your options are be tops in your class ... or enjoy high school and go somewhere else for a year (even community college) and transfer in.

I'm not saying this to dissuade him from that dream, but I saw someone on another board whose kid had a 4.5 GPA and had UNC as a safety school. They had to be disabused of that idea.

The good news is kids from this area are generally well prepared for schools like UNC and State.

All that said, Brier Creek is a nice area, no reason NOT to live there.

Good luck with the move.

Old 03-19-2024, 05:29 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,594,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahaneo View Post
Which areas should we target and potential schooling pathways as my 12 year old wants to get in to the NC State in Comp Sci. He is above average but we want to avoid the highly competitive Apex, Cary etc. schools due to capping plus the intense competition which we feel does not increase his chances of getting to university
No advice from me. I just wanted to say how jealous I am. My 18 yr old is in his 2nd semester at college and still does not know what he wants to do. My 14 yr old just wants to watch YouTube videos on his school issued laptop instead of doing his homework.

Old 03-19-2024, 05:49 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
I agree with renting near the job. Don't worry about your son who wants to get into NC State. There are other decent state schools, for example ECU which has an improving program in Computer Science. Western Carolina would also be a good choice.

Old 03-19-2024, 08:20 AM

6,373 posts, read 5,484,053 times
I would recommend looking into the Westwind, Westlake, Springdale, and Stonehenge neighborhoods/areas in NW Raleigh around Leesville and Creedmoor roads. Close to Brier Creek without having to pay the (pretty high) club dues associated with (and required with) living in BC proper.

Those neighborhoods and the smaller ones around them are mostly assigned to Leesville schools (I believe half of Stonehenge is actually assigned to Sanderson HS) which are generally sought-after without the "pressure cooker" atmosphere often associated with the high schools in Cary/Apex/Morrisville.

Old 03-19-2024, 08:53 AM

13,703 posts, read 12,413,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
NC State takes kids from all across the state as its a public land grant university. The competition to get in there (and UNC) is fierce, whether you like that or not, because there are so many kids from Wake County who are qualified to get in, and not enough spots for all of them.

Your options are be tops in your class ... or enjoy high school and go somewhere else for a year (even community college) and transfer in.

I'm not saying this to dissuade him from that dream, but I saw someone on another board whose kid had a 4.5 GPA and had UNC as a safety school. They had to be disabused of that idea.

The good news is kids from this area are generally well prepared for schools like UNC and State.

All that said, Brier Creek is a nice area, no reason NOT to live there.

Good luck with the move.
Serious question, because I remember reading an article about a rural county that got a lot of kids into UNC.

I don't know how viable it is, but what about Granville County...parts even have a Wake Forest address (not that it matters where your postman clocks in) Not too terribly far for OP, they could get a bit more for their buck.

Otherwise staying in Wake I'd look at Wake Forest, staying west of 50 if possible.

Old 03-19-2024, 09:42 AM

6,007 posts, read 2,832,710 times
Sorry, we're full!

You really have a choice of anywhere in Wake County, as almost everywhere connects to I-540 in some form or fashion, which will take you right into Brier Creek. South/Southeast Wake County isn't connected to I-540, yet. But they're working on that as we speak.

$600,000 means you're probably looking at further out. Like Wake Forest, Rolesville, Zebulon (if you really want to be out there) in Northern Wake County. Any of these towns are along US-1 or 401 or I-287 (still commonly referred to as US-264), all of which connect to I-540.

I'm not nearly as knowledgeable about Southern Wake County. I'm sure your budget could take you far in Apex, Holly Springs, Garner, Fuquay-Varina, etc., but these places aren't yet connected to I-540.

If you don't mind a little more of a drive, you could check out some places in Chatham County, where your money would also go a little further.

Old 03-19-2024, 10:49 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordBronco1967 View Post
Sorry, we're full!

You really have a choice of anywhere in Wake County, as almost everywhere connects to I-540 in some form or fashion, which will take you right into Brier Creek. South/Southeast Wake County isn't connected to I-540, yet. But they're working on that as we speak.

$600,000 means you're probably looking at further out. Like Wake Forest, Rolesville, Zebulon (if you really want to be out there) in Northern Wake County. Any of these towns are along US-1 or 401 or I-287 (still commonly referred to as US-264), all of which connect to I-540.

I'm not nearly as knowledgeable about Southern Wake County. I'm sure your budget could take you far in Apex, Holly Springs, Garner, Fuquay-Varina, etc., but these places aren't yet connected to I-540.

If you don't mind a little more of a drive, you could check out some places in Chatham County, where your money would also go a little further.
Apex and Holly Springs aren't connected to 540? My sister commutes from Apex to HS every day via 540 LOL. And her neighborhood clocks in at well under $600K. She's assigned to Apex Friendship though, which is huge. But there's a new HS coming which should help.

Old 03-19-2024, 11:16 AM

6,007 posts, read 2,832,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Apex and Holly Springs aren't connected to 540? My sister commutes from Apex to HS every day via 540 LOL. And her neighborhood clocks in at well under $600K. She's assigned to Apex Friendship though, which is huge. But there's a new HS coming which should help.
I've never been that far down south in the county, so thank you for correcting me! Northern Wake is my neck of the woods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary