Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2024, 11:21 AM

6,373 posts, read 5,484,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Serious question, because I remember reading an article about a rural county that got a lot of kids into UNC.

I don't know how viable it is, but what about Granville County...parts even have a Wake Forest address (not that it matters where your postman clocks in) Not too terribly far for OP, they could get a bit more for their buck.

Otherwise staying in Wake I'd look at Wake Forest, staying west of 50 if possible.
It has less to do with "rural vs urban county" and more to do with class rank.

High schools in the larger/wealthier districts in NC tend to have more high-performing students. There was a graduating class at East Chapel Hill High several years ago that had over a dozen valedictorians because so many took the maximum amount of APs and got straight As. Hard to stand out in class rank in that scenario; but UNC system schools (especially Carolina)...put a good bit of weight on class rank in their admissions process.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2024, 12:11 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
It has less to do with "rural vs urban county" and more to do with class rank.

High schools in the larger/wealthier districts in NC tend to have more high-performing students. There was a graduating class at East Chapel Hill High several years ago that had over a dozen valedictorians because so many took the maximum amount of APs and got straight As. Hard to stand out in class rank in that scenario; but UNC system schools (especially Carolina)...put a good bit of weight on class rank in their admissions process.
That's why WCPSS did away with valedictorians. Too many kids tied for that distinction and you're taking it out to the 1000th decimal so does it really matter at that point?

Old 03-20-2024, 07:12 AM

9,775 posts, read 15,776,851 times
Actually, CHCCS doesn't look at weighted for valedictorian. Anyone with a 4.0 unweighted is automatically a valedictorian. East and CH high have well more than a dozen valedictorians, as Carrboro which is half their size had 10 last year. It's kind of ridiculous either way.

My friend told me that her daughter who initially took BC Calc dropped to AB Calc (along with a lot of other students - they allow this early in the year) because BC was too fast-paced. Her daughter's friend stuck with BC Calc and got her one and only B. My friend's daughter got an A in AB Calc. thus becoming one of the 10 valedictorians. My friend told me this story that it was crazy that her daughter was a valedictorian but her daughter's friend who challenged herself was not. I agree. Class rank, however, goes by weighted. Just do away with val. and class rank altogether.

Old 03-20-2024, 07:35 AM

122 posts, read 98,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Serious question, because I remember reading an article about a rural county that got a lot of kids into UNC.

I don't know how viable it is, but what about Granville County...parts even have a Wake Forest address (not that it matters where your postman clocks in) Not too terribly far for OP, they could get a bit more for their buck.

Otherwise staying in Wake I'd look at Wake Forest, staying west of 50 if possible.
I too have heard that if you are outside of Wake County then you have more chance of getting into State, but I don't know how true that is. One hears so much scuttlebutt.

I know someone who works in Brier Creek and lives nearby. (I'm in Alamance County, just about 10 minutes west of Carrboro.) I-40 is close by, and the commute is about 45 minutes.

Old 03-20-2024, 12:01 PM

13,703 posts, read 12,413,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yet_another_userid View Post
I too have heard that if you are outside of Wake County then you have more chance of getting into State, but I don't know how true that is. One hears so much scuttlebutt.

I know someone who works in Brier Creek and lives nearby. (I'm in Alamance County, just about 10 minutes west of Carrboro.) I-40 is close by, and the commute is about 45 minutes.
I read an article and can't find it, but they interviewed a guidance counselor at some random semi-rural high school down east where they were able to get a high percentage in. But went unsaid is that a handful of big fish in a smaller pond looked more distinctive than one that went to Panther Creek or Apex Friendship.

The article referenced Chapel Hill but I don't see why State would be any different.

Old 03-21-2024, 08:53 PM

281 posts, read 187,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordBronco1967 View Post
Sorry, we're full!

You really have a choice of anywhere in Wake County, as almost everywhere connects to I-540 in some form or fashion, which will take you right into Brier Creek. South/Southeast Wake County isn't connected to I-540, yet. But they're working on that as we speak.

$600,000 means you're probably looking at further out. Like Wake Forest, Rolesville, Zebulon (if you really want to be out there) in Northern Wake County. Any of these towns are along US-1 or 401 or I-287 (still commonly referred to as US-264), all of which connect to I-540.

I'm not nearly as knowledgeable about Southern Wake County. I'm sure your budget could take you far in Apex, Holly Springs, Garner, Fuquay-Varina, etc., but these places aren't yet connected to I-540.

If you don't mind a little more of a drive, you could check out some places in Chatham County, where your money would also go a little further.
the 70 mile complete 540 project will be 60/70 miles completed and open to traffic in the next approximately 90 days, so there's really very little in Wake County South, East, West or North that is not accessible to 540. The remaining 10 miles from Clayton to Zebulon will be 4-5 years till it opens, but it is now under construction while the rest of 540 wraps up on the Southern side.

Old 03-22-2024, 07:10 AM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordBronco1967 View Post
You really have a choice of anywhere in Wake County, as almost everywhere connects to I-540 in some form or fashion, which will take you right into Brier Creek. South/Southeast Wake County isn't connected to I-540, yet. But they're working on that as we speak.
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Apex and Holly Springs aren't connected to 540? My sister commutes from Apex to HS every day via 540 LOL.
Technically, FordBronco was correct. Apex and Holly Springs don't connect to I-540 (no toll). They connect to NC-540 (toll). That distinction can add up to about $150 a month.

Old 03-24-2024, 10:47 AM

465 posts, read 699,493 times
I live in west Cary and will agree I can see how it could be viewed as a pressure cooker. I grew up in eastern NC and now that I'm older can clearly see how my application could be viewed favorably both in what I did but maybe as importantly where I came from.

I've heard plenty of stories about Wake County kids who got into great schools out of state but not into UNC or NC State. Much different times than 20+ years ago.

If you are commuting to Brier Creek my only advice is it is much easier to go east in the morning (clockwise on 540) and west (counter) in the afternoon. On the days I work off Falls of Neuse, it can be sobering how bad traffic is going the other way on both commutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
No advice from me. I just wanted to say how jealous I am. My 18 yr old is in his 2nd semester at college and still does not know what he wants to do. My 14 yr old just wants to watch YouTube videos on his school issued laptop instead of doing his homework.
Don't feel bad there are a ton of kids in the same boat. Just how things can go with kids these days.

Old 03-24-2024, 09:41 PM

8 posts, read 17,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMMH View Post

If you are commuting to Brier Creek my only advice is it is much easier to go east in the morning (clockwise on 540) and west (counter) in the afternoon. On the days I work off Falls of Neuse, it can be sobering how bad traffic is going the other way on both commutes.
if i read it correctly, it would be easier to commute from Durham vs Wake forest in the morning?

Given the property prices I was thinking to explore West of raleigh as potential location, considering that 540 would eventually link up at Zebulon/Knightdale (Any indication if that would be a tolled road)

Old 03-25-2024, 07:04 PM

122 posts, read 98,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahaneo View Post
if i read it correctly, it would be easier to commute from Durham vs Wake forest in the morning?

Given the property prices I was thinking to explore West of raleigh as potential location, considering that 540 would eventually link up at Zebulon/Knightdale (Any indication if that would be a tolled road)
It would be easier to commute from Durham to Brier Creek than from Wake Forest, yes, much easier in my opinion.
You could even live further west than Durham itself if you wanted to be outside the city proper, say Hillsborough (I-85 access) or Mebane (I-40 access). I think the western bit of Brier Creek is even in Durham County too.

I work from home often, but my company is based in Durham and some days I commute from southern Alamance to work there. I'm usually in Durham downtown in 30 minutes. I've gone to Brier Creek sometimes, when I am in the Durham office. There's a great Indian restaurant there, also a decent Barnes and Noble.

Are you working in Zebulon/Knightdale or in Brier Creek? I had the impression it was Brier Creek.

Last edited by yet_another_userid; 03-25-2024 at 07:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary