Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 07:06 AM

2 posts, read 1,526 times

Advertisements

We went to a place called Aldi Food Market yesterday to see what it was all about, after seeing some info on it in the news. The place is great. It is not that big and carries basically the essentials, but it is cheap. Bread 75 cents, cereal $1.79. It is a little warehouse like, but kept very clean, organized and bright. The news said this type of shopping will become big, considering the cost of everything today.

I figure between Aldi, Walmart and Sam's club, we should be able to shop really cheap.

Old 06-22-2008, 07:26 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,123,693 times
I just started shopping at the new Cary Aldi and so far, I like many of their products and it is really cheap.

Old 06-22-2008, 07:36 AM

1,162 posts, read 2,109,279 times
Do they carry national brands? We sort of brand loyal.

Old 06-22-2008, 07:51 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,123,693 times
It is a national chain and no, they basically don't carry name brands (a few) but I will say that I find any of their products to be as high quality as many national brands. As the PP stated, I believe I read somewhere that many of their products are actually made by popular, name brand food companies but use a generic label for the food sold there. One thig you will notice is that some of the packing is almost IDENTICAL to name brand packing. For example: dry rolled oats. The box looks IDENTICAL to Quaker, but the box just says "Rolled oats".

There a few products I haven't liked, but overall, it seems to be pretty good. Selection is VERY limited though, it's a good place to stock up on basics like baking soda, flour, vinegar, pancake mix, cooking oil, etc.

Old 06-22-2008, 07:53 AM

Thanks. I will check them out. They seems to have lots of stores but none in Durham.

Old 06-22-2008, 08:02 AM

2,086 posts, read 7,649,020 times
I stopped into Aldi the other day and was pleasantly surprised. I didn't go in to actually get anything, but just wanted to see what was there for when I do need to stock up. A coworker of mine said that even their $2.99 wine isn't too bad considering the price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amcjap View Post
Do they carry national brands? We sort of brand loyal.
One thing to note is that even in regular grocery stores, the store brand is often made by a name brand and is basically the same product that is packaged differently. This is something I learned in my marketing classes in college, and since then there are a lot of products that I will probably never purchase the name brand as long as there is a store brand is available. Sometimes the savings are huge!

Old 06-22-2008, 08:09 AM

Yes, that's true. I work in a big ad agency but I'm picky and I taste the difference. Maybe it's in my head but I will give them a try for staples.

Old 06-22-2008, 08:23 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,099,144 times
Yup, I definately shop there! You can't beat the prices. I get most of my groceries from there except meat. Whatever else, I get from Walmart. I only buy meats from the grocery store when they are on sale and then stock up. That's the way to shop. Especially with gas prices skyrocketing. Glad you found this great secret! Happy shopping!

P.S. For all of you people who live in and around Wake Forest and are interested in Aldi, write the company. We're planning on moving to the area and have written them. They said they don't have a site yet, but will look into it. If we get enough people to write, they may open one up in WF. Wouldn't that be great! Here's the address:
Aldi Inc.
1200 N. Kirk Rd.
Batavia, IL 60510

Last edited by beckycat; 06-22-2008 at 08:39 AM..

Old 06-22-2008, 08:48 AM

4,242 posts, read 8,781,718 times
On the other hand, if you want inexpensive REAL food that's not totally disgusting, may I suggest your local farmer's market. There, you can be assured that your food didn't travel from some foreign country to get to your plate.
There's always a hidden cost to "cheap" food.

Old 06-22-2008, 08:55 AM

770 posts, read 2,755,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NE2TX2NE2NC2? View Post
We went to a place called Aldi Food Market yesterday to see what it was all about, after seeing some info on it in the news. The place is great. It is not that big and carries basically the essentials, but it is cheap. Bread 75 cents, cereal $1.79. It is a little warehouse like, but kept very clean, organized and bright. The news said this type of shopping will become big, considering the cost of everything today.

I figure between Aldi, Walmart and Sam's club, we should be able to shop really cheap.
Old news - where have you been! (JK)
Trader Joe's is run by one of the 2 founders of Aldi , you will see some similarities when shopping there . Aldi is great for some things but not all . European Aldi's have a much better range of goods than here though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary