Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 08:59 AM

251 posts, read 1,143,324 times

Advertisements

Brier Creek has become one of the hottest real estate areas in Raleigh. Prices are soaring and building continues.

If you go north of Brier Creek along 70 developers are building other neighborhoods. The area is Durham county, but it's really close to the upscale Brier Creek area. It's also not far from some parts of Durham. Does anyone have any knowledge about potential crime problems in this area?

Specifically I'm asking about the area east of Miami Blvd. - north of Brier Creek - south of highway 98 - east of Olive Branch Road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2007, 09:08 AM

1,531 posts, read 7,410,165 times
Just because you've crossed the border from Raleigh to Durham doesn't automatically mean the crime will rise. LOL
That area is not hardly near the few parts of Durham that are truly the "bad areas". It's fine.

Old 01-08-2007, 09:24 AM

RaleighRob, thanks for your response.

Which areas of Durham are not the best?

Last edited by Skipstone; 01-08-2007 at 09:24 AM.. Reason: mistake

Old 01-08-2007, 09:24 AM

842 posts, read 3,230,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighRob View Post
Just because you've crossed the border from Raleigh to Durham doesn't automatically mean the crime will rise. LOL
That area is not hardly near the few parts of Durham that are truly the "bad areas". It's fine.
Agreed. And RTP is a buffer between Briar Creek and Durham. And RTP is never going to turn into a 'ghetto'

One downside might be the schools. The area you mention falls in both Wake and Durham counties. Wake county schools are considered much better than Durham county schools, and that's reflected in property values too. So that's something you'll want to take into consideration, even if you don't have kids.

Old 01-08-2007, 09:27 AM

Great point, Jbognar.

How is the area along Sherron Road between 70 and highway 98?

Old 01-08-2007, 09:41 AM

1,531 posts, read 7,410,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipstone View Post
RaleighRob, thanks for your response.

Which areas of Durham are not the best?
Way further up...areas immediately east of downtown, basically.
As you head up 70, things should stay pretty tame middle-class for a little while till you get closer to the US 70/Business 70 split.

Basically, just drive around there one day and take a view of the homes already there. That's the best way to get a feel for an area, IMO.

Old 01-08-2007, 09:54 AM

842 posts, read 3,230,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipstone View Post
Great point, Jbognar.

How is the area along Sherron Road between 70 and highway 98?
To be honest, I've never driven up that road before, so I wouldn't say I'm qualified to provide a good response

However, that area is definitely in Durham county, so you have the schools issue. And I did a search of the area on Zillow, and there appears to be alot of low value housing around there, so that might also be an issue. The low property values would concern me because that area is an excellent commute to RTP, and so the property values should actually be high around there.
http://www.zillow.com/search/Search....durham%2C%20nc

Old 01-08-2007, 06:35 PM

2,024 posts, read 5,917,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbognar View Post
To be honest, I've never driven up that road before, so I wouldn't say I'm qualified to provide a good response

However, that area is definitely in Durham county, so you have the schools issue. And I did a search of the area on Zillow, and there appears to be alot of low value housing around there, so that might also be an issue. The low property values would concern me because that area is an excellent commute to RTP, and so the property values should actually be high around there.
Personally, I'm not a big fan of the developments off of Sherron... mostly because they're kind of stuck in the middle of the former countryside and aren't really close to shopping, neighborhood schools, etc.

I would note that there are plenty of fine schools in Durham at the elementary, middle and high school levels, including some great magnet programs. Because Durham is more socioeconomically inclusive and diverse... the school averages aren't as hot. To be honest, I don't have a great impression of the schools on the eastern side of Durham County. From a high school perspective, Riverside and Durham School of the Arts tend to be strongest; some of the elementary/middle schools in northern and southern Durham tend similarly to be stronger.

I'd suggest going online to http://www.dpsnc.net/ to check out the schools if this is important to you. http://www.ci.durham.nc.us/gis_apps/..._entryform.cfm has a link to crime mapping data if you're concerned about that.

To be honest, Durham is a pretty progressive and inclusive place that tends to look like America -- at its best and its worst. There are very few gated communities in Durham, which I think tells you something about the values of the community. I think folks who tend to be happiest in Durham are those who welcome that type of community. People who feel more comfortable in the latest KB-Toll-Beazer-St.Lawrence-etc. development, IMHO, tend not to be -- because that's just not what they're looking for. Different strokes and all that!

Old 01-10-2007, 07:36 PM

2,024 posts, read 5,917,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbognar View Post
The low property values would concern me because that area is an excellent commute to RTP, and so the property values should actually be high around there.
BTW, a warning about relying on Zillow data for Durham: the data in Zillow for Durham Co. lists only assessed tax value -- not the "Zestimate" that they provide in most other areas. My assumption is this is b/c the Zillow folks have not been able to get the necessary data from Durham County's tax office.

In NC, it is difficult to rely on tax assessment to "really" understand the value of a home, since NC reassesses county property values only once per 7-8 (?) years. If you're interested in a house, best bet is to look to a real estate agent for comps, or to check a site like Domania that will give you a sense of what neighboring properties have sold for.

Old 01-11-2007, 09:03 AM

266 posts, read 1,052,884 times
Default If you want to know...

about crome in Durham, try this link:
http://www.ci.durham.nc.us/gis_apps/..._entryform.cfm
I am pretty proud of Durham for providing it.
You can get some idea of the schools relative merits by going to
www.ncreportcards.com, but the information there needs to be tempered with other sources.
There is no substitute for visiting the school, talking to parents, etc. You still need to do your "homework".
Zillow is not totally useless, but they admit themselves that they can be 10 to 15% off. It's more in some areas, but that's bad enough. They do use actual sales, but there are so many things to take into account that cannot be done without being on the spot and laying eyeballs on the area. This is especially true for predicting where the area is going. Sometimes low values are a very good thing if there are indicators that values will rise. That is what every home owner and investor should want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary