Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 07:37 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,825,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
I wonder what changed for business to drop off. Change in management? Kitchen staff? More options for that sort of food opened up over time?
To me i feel like maybe the "money" is moving further and further north thereby focusing attention to the newer development toward 540 like Lafayette Village or Falls River shopping center.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2013, 08:41 PM

6,825 posts, read 9,061,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Special_Guest View Post
Right before they tore everything down, I thought about how empty everything had gotten over there. I feel like the configuration of everything made the businesses kind of isolated and not visible from the street. That's why Starbucks said they left - it wasn't visible from the street, and a lot of people didn't know they were back there. I think the new location SUCKS, as it is cramped and the size of a postage stamp, and the drive through clogs up the parking lot. On cold days, the place is packed to the point you can barely get in the door. The old one was roomy and comfy. I know some folks who go to the North Hills location when they want to sit and chat.
I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who hates the "new" Starbucks. I usually stop there and take my coffee back to the office. I see the hard wooden chairs and think "it can't be comfortable to sit there for long".

Old 03-15-2013, 09:57 AM

334 posts, read 867,657 times
I thought from this thread they had also torn down the old Lucky 32 building. I drove by yesterday and it's still standing.

Old 03-15-2013, 10:12 AM

528 posts, read 935,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdanville View Post
I thought from this thread they had also torn down the old Lucky 32 building. I drove by yesterday and it's still standing.
Weird, I thought that too. Ironically, I ran into someone yesterday who I used to work with at Lucky's (had not seen for over 10 years) and I told her it had been torn down!

Old 03-15-2013, 12:26 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,931,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdanville View Post
I told them the other day it was still standing, but nobody believed me

Old 03-15-2013, 05:40 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,181,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigKahunaNC View Post
That corridor along Falls of Neuse has had it struggles to support businesses, especially restaurants. I lived in that area for 6 years, and watched things come and go. It's a shame that area can't prosper. But there is so much turnover, it makes me wonder if there just isn't enough money and support to carry more than a few places. With the amount of money a place like PDQ invested, you'd think they'll be there a while, but history suggests otherwise. I think McDonalds and Winston's are the only places to survive more than a few years. I still remember when there was a Fat Daddy's over there, where the liquor store now stands!
I noticed this too! This side of town seems to be a GRAVEYARD for restaurants. I for one miss Original Soup Man and Stonewood Grill.

I had NO idea there used to be a Fat Daddy's on this side of town. I remember talking to an EMPLOYEE of Woody's who predicted the restaurant wouldn't last long. He seemed to think the food was priced too high, that as manager he would run specials (he had leeway to do that), but the owners would eventually roll them back to original price.

Old 03-15-2013, 06:33 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,825,961 times
Supposedly the land is owned by Blue Gem Inc...although, that may be the group that has owned that land for a while. They are based out of Greensboro, like Lucky 32.

There was one mention in google of Blue Gem Inc being a company that specializes in Men's Clothing and Furnishings...so who knows.

Old 03-15-2013, 07:57 PM

2,464 posts, read 4,167,158 times
Quote:
I noticed this too! This side of town seems to be a GRAVEYARD for restaurants. I for one miss Original Soup Man and Stonewood Grill.

I had NO idea there used to be a Fat Daddy's on this side of town. I remember talking to an EMPLOYEE of Woody's who predicted the restaurant wouldn't last long. He seemed to think the food was priced too high, that as manager he would run specials (he had leeway to do that), but the owners would eventually roll them back to original price.
Ruby Tuesday is a decent, successful chain restaurant. And even they couldn't stay above water in that area. Then Captain Stanley's failed. The old Hardee's building has been vacant for long stretches of time, and nothing has lasted long their either. Ever further down Falls of Neuse, down where Ale House is, is even worse. Ale House is the ONLY place to sustain in that area, and I have heard from employees, that this location of Ale House is the least successful one in the area. And then Tilted Kilt came along.

Fat Daddy's used to be on Sandy Forks Rd, years ago. I don't remember exactly how long ago it's been since they closed. But when they moved out, someone else opened up another restaurant that I can't remember the name of, that seemed to do well for a few years and then closed up. It became a bar/pool hall for a little while before sitting vacant for years and then getting bulldozed in favor of a new liquor store. There was also a Rum Runners on FoN Rd years ago. It was in the general area of the Auto Parts store near Cook Out.

Old 03-16-2013, 07:16 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,167,824 times
Quote:

Soupman was so stingy in their portions, it felt like NYC. Stupid franchisee.

Old 03-16-2013, 09:18 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,098,208 times
Okay. Egads.

According to Google Maps photos, there was an empty storefront, a LUX hair salon, and Starbucks that were removed. It looked like such a wide piece of property, I assumed it included the old Lucky 32! But apparently the empty Lucky 32 building is still standing further down..and hiding behind trees.

My bad. Sorry!

Okay...but my question is the same... does anyone know what's going to be built at the spot where the building has been torn down?

Last edited by lovebrentwood; 03-16-2013 at 09:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary