Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 11:51 PM

25 posts, read 71,019 times

Advertisements

We are currently building a home with Drees. I understand there is a home inspection package that consists of three stages:
1. They inspect the foundation just before it is poured to ensure all of the plumbing, etc is correct ($150)
2. Pre-Drywall walk through where they home is inspected for wiring, lighting, etc before the drywall is up and the interior walls are sealed up ($200?)
3. PrePurchase end of construction walk through for all cosmetic issues ($400)

Two questions:

1. Does anyone have any feedback on whether or not this is worth it, to be double checking your builder on the quality or work. ie, whether it is worth it from the construction angle, and second from the builder/buyer relationship angle (staying friendly and such--does it strain that relationship to be double checking all of their work)

2. Has anyone done this specifically with Drees Homes and was it worth it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2008, 04:33 AM

1,467 posts, read 5,128,456 times
I hired an inspector to evaluate my new construction home a few days prior to the final walk through with the builders. Then I brought those issues to light during the walk through for repair prior to closing. In my case, it was only cosmetic items on the report. This was not with Drees Homes.

Although the inspection was basically clean, I felt the fee was well worth my peace of mind. I believe I paid around $200 or so.

Old 05-05-2008, 05:30 AM

1,007 posts, read 5,662,809 times
I always recommend getting a home inspection on a new home. Just because they have "code" inspections with the county, they very often miss many things. Inspectors have found many things on new homes, such as HVAC problems (forget to connect the ducts sometimes), sometimes they cut beams to get a pipe to fit (a big no, no there), I've had trusses that were cracked, drainage problems (not good) and so on. Protect yourself.

Old 05-05-2008, 05:48 AM

718 posts, read 2,972,570 times
We had our new home inspected and it was totally worth it. The inspector found mostly cosmetic problems which the builder did fix. A home is typically is your biggest investment. Why cheap out over a few hundred bucks, compared to the thousands you are paying? You are the only one who will be hurt by doing so. Once you sign its all yours, problems and all. Piece of mind for me knowing I wasn't buying a piece of junk was well worth it imo.

Old 05-05-2008, 06:35 AM

4,003 posts, read 10,838,107 times
New construction should definitely be looked over as there are many hands in the barrel while building your house.
I am off to work, but I will answer your questions in detail this evening.

Old 05-05-2008, 07:41 AM

1,364 posts, read 6,021,563 times
Is this a home inspection package through Drees or through an independent inspector?

Old 05-05-2008, 08:43 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,236,574 times
I just sold a home that was 10 years old.

The flashing that kept the water from the deck from getting into the crawl space had been installed incorrectly. Had the sellers had a home inspection when they purchased the house new, hopefully this would have been corrected.

However, now there is water damage in the crawl space that is going to be a bit pricey to repair.

Also, the builder left wood scapes in the area under the front porch and the termites have been feasting on it for years!

Vicki

Old 05-05-2008, 09:15 AM

25 posts, read 71,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneezecake View Post
Is this a home inspection package through Drees or through an independent inspector?
We'd go through an independent inspector.

We do intend on doing the final inspection with an inspector prior to closing, but wonder if the 2 previous inspections (pre-foundation and pre-dry wall) are a must.

Old 05-05-2008, 09:26 AM

1,364 posts, read 6,021,563 times
FWIW, I am going through the build process too, and was told by my buyer's agent that the pre-drywall inspection may be one of the most important (with a structural engineer), and I don't believe this to be a way to squeeze money, because the agent is covering the expense.

Old 05-05-2008, 09:44 AM

673 posts, read 2,266,352 times
Default An independent inspection is well worth the money paid.

Hubby and I bought new construction in September (our builder is Centex). We felt this was money well spent, even though the corrections were, as others have mentioned, cosmetic. We have the peace of mind knowing that the construction has been reviewed by someone independent of the builder with an unbiased view.

I think Vicki identifies a valid reason for a home inspection with new construction -- to identify NOW something that may be done incorrectly that could be costly to repair a few years down the road.

Again, it is money well spent. I strongly recommend it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary