Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 08:17 PM

655 posts, read 916,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
Doesn't stuff cost a lot more in Alaska because of transportation?

My cousin worked up there several years for Shell and loved it.
Yes stuff costs a lot more here. Despite the oil we are paying $4.36 a gallon right now for unleaded and it is going to go up even more this week. Food is about 30% higher across the board, utilities about 25% higher, auto insurance about 50% higher and so on. I guess I was just shocked to find the costs associated with covering the rest of the family. My wife and I have decided to just buy a private policy with a $10,000 deductible which we can afford in the event something major comes along. Better then loosing it all. Quoted $220 a month for wife and child with a $10,000 deductible. For everyday medical stuff we will just go to the clinic and pay out of pocket.

By the way, I was offered a counselor position. The pay is fair, just not sure about the benefits. When I was recruited by Wake, they said, and I quote....."We offer some of the most generous benefits in the US." I'll have to let them know I repectfully disagree.

In this day and time with all the economic doom and gloom on the horizon, I'm just happy to be offered a job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2008, 08:39 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,963,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvwakeforest View Post
I think the issue is Alaska. Nice state, but maybe they have to offer greater benefits to attract teachers?
Alaska is a special case due to their oil revenues. Oil pretty much pays for state govt, so they are able to offer good benefits. Not only does Alaska not have an income tax, they also offer a rebate on the oil revenues above and beyond state expenditures. So, you get paid by the state of Alaska to live there.

Old 06-16-2008, 08:57 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,522,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toot68 View Post
Alaska is a special case due to their oil revenues. Oil pretty much pays for state govt, so they are able to offer good benefits. Not only does Alaska not have an income tax, they also offer a rebate on the oil revenues above and beyond state expenditures. So, you get paid by the state of Alaska to live there.
Well they have to do all that because cost of living is very high

Old 06-17-2008, 03:56 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,167,824 times
Just like NY.

You gross a lot there but barely make ends meet after you pay the rent. We lived in a middle income rent stabilized Manhattan project for 10 years.

Old 06-17-2008, 08:24 AM

983 posts, read 3,988,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toot68 View Post
People who are young and even older folks who have perfect medical histories have no problem finding affordable health insurance. Throw in a preexisting medical condition, however, and it is a whole different story. The benefit of employer based insurance (and part of the reason it is more expensive) is that all comers are covered, and pay the same cost.
That's why my husband won't leave the State. He's been a state employee 11-12 years now. Both of my daughters and I all have asthma. Throw in all my other health "issues" going on right now and we'd never be able to be covered by anyone else---at least nothing we'd ever be able to afford! The $488/month is worth it to know we're covered no matter what!

Old 06-17-2008, 09:52 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,167,824 times
And into retirement too.

Old 06-18-2008, 10:25 AM

353 posts, read 1,367,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
As a society we tend to think that Health Insurance can only be provided by our employers, but that is wrong. When I was considering a job with WCPSS I found cheaper health insurance with private companies; Blue Cross Blue Shield was one.
Maybe so, but if benefits costs go up that much from your employer, and you have to go outside to get better rates, you are, in effect, lowering your total compensation. So, you make less than you did the year before.

Old 06-18-2008, 10:39 AM

3,307 posts, read 8,562,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaZ View Post
Maybe so, but if benefits costs go up that much from your employer, and you have to go outside to get better rates, you are, in effect, lowering your total compensation. So, you make less than you did the year before.
Exactly my point! Heck, I'm not trying to say that the Gov't owes us more than they should (I'm a capitalist), but when you can go outside of the Govt. healthcare plan and spend $100 a month to insure your child with BCBS, why would you spend $350-400 a month to have almost the same benefits within the state govt? Bottom line is that most companies in RTP have better benefits that the NC state govt. (minus the pension plan which you HAVE TO pay 6% into). To think that a school recruiter would tell someone they have some of the best benefits in the USA is laughable. Best benefits compared to what? The benefits are adequate, but they are no where near the best in the US.

They list healthcare as a perk, but if you're paying $400 a month to insure one healthy child, how is that giving us anything?

Old 06-18-2008, 01:36 PM

1,467 posts, read 5,130,150 times
So, is the general thought that employers should contribute to the health insurance of entire families not just the employee? What happens to the single, childless employee? Why should their total compensation be less just because he/she doesn't have a child?

I'm not anti-family or anti-child and I believe everyone should have access to affordable health insurance. I just wanted to toss out the other side of the coin for consideration.

Old 06-18-2008, 02:27 PM

22 posts, read 116,431 times
Default nc teachers

I think its a shame that teachers are not compensated enough for their jobs. Here on Long Island teachers starting salary is 50,000 and a lot of teachers here make well over 80,000. Teachers pay into their health benefits but its a small percentage. Teaching is one of the most important jobs, and it can often be a very difficult job. Plus here in NY you cannot teach without having your master's degree, so its expensive to become a teacher. I hope the country starts to value teachers more, and pay them what they deserve.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary